FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Wrong name on phone (K750i)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Windows/Bluetooth blues?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teetow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Wrong name on phone (K750i) Reply with quote

I have Clicker running on both Mac and Windows, with a SE-T630 and a SE-K750i. I have only one BT dongle (Canyon BTU1), so I move it between computers.

When I first set up Clicker, I did it from the Mac with the K750i. When connecting, the computer identified itself as "Johan Althoff's Powerbook". This, I've learned, could be what's causing the phone to occasionally lock up on connection, so I've been trying to change it.

The problem is, no matter what I do or where I change it, the computer still identifies as "Johan Althoff's Powerbook" in Salling Clicker. Even when I plug the BT dongle into my PC, it still identifies as "Johan Althoff's Powerbook" =)

If I check my paired devices on the K750i, my computer is actually called "MacAffe", which is what I named it in the Sharing settings on the Mac. I've also tried re-pairing the device, re-installing the Clicker Java application - no luck.

I suspect there is sort-of an identifying string stored on the BT dongle, but how do I tell Clicker to re-read it? Are there some settings stored on the actual phone than I could edit / remove?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old name should not cause any lockups at this point, but if you want to clear this setting in Clicker on your phone, I think there's an option under the properties for the application, that lets you clear its settings. (this is done outside of the client application; the phone OS offers this option)

Best.
--
Jonas
teetow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]I think there's an option under the properties for the application, that lets you clear its settings. (this is done outside of the client application; the phone OS offers this option)[/quote]Well, the solution was to actually [b]delete[/b] the application, not just re-install it. Seems that the phone OS retains applications settings when you update, which is kinda handy.

Also, you were correct in that the name didn't cause lockups. Something else does, though =/ Usually, the phone hangs at the "Preparing..." stage, while the Mac sticks at "Negotiating...". I have better success on the PC, but I can still provoke a hang once in a while, usually when switching between phones. The T630 doesn't seem to have this problem at all.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What firmware version is on this phone?

Best.
--
Jonas
teetow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]What firmware version is on this phone?[/quote]
R1L002
prgCXC 125952_EU_1_CL
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I believe that's a recent version that shouldn't have any problems with device name lengths.

Not sure what to say. It's a shame it doesn't work as well with the Mac as with your PC. As other models don't have any connectivity issues with the Mac, I'm rather sure there's no problem with the Mac application (in fact, there's not much that an app can do wrong at this stage).

Sounds like the "old" role-switch issue, but I'd have to run a Bluetooth logger on your system to know for sure.

Please forgive me if we've brought this up before, but is a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard connected to your Mac?

Also, did you try toggling the Bluetooth Power Save option on your phone? I don't know if that'll change anything, but it's worth trying.

Best.
--
Jonas
teetow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]ught this up before, but is a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard connected to your Mac?

Also, did you try toggling the Bluetooth Power Save option on your phone? I don't know if that'll change anything, but it's worth trying.[/quote]Well, the only other BT device is the T630, and the Power Save option has always been enabled.

I've found two ways to provoke the lock-up, at least on Windows:

#1: Enable the "search for other devices" option in Windows. This makes the K750i unconnectable.

#2: Connect with the T630, disconnect and try to connect with the K750i shortly thereafter. Sometimes this will lock the K750i.

What can I install to debug the BT traffic?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I didn't realize you had problems in Windows too.

1. Don't enable "search for other devices". This is a broken Widcomm feature; should never have been implemented. While a device is searching, it's quite common for it not to be able to receive incoming connections. I think this is what's happening.

2. Can you reproduce this scenario on the Mac as well?

I'm sure the Sony Ericsson guys would be interested in the lock-ups. On the Mac, I can log what's going on.

Best.
--
Jonas
teetow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]2. Can you reproduce this scenario on the Mac as well?[/quote]Well, currently it's 100% reproducable. Every time I try to connect to the Mac, the phone hangs on "Preparing", while the Mac shows "Negotiating...".

I'm currently running the Clicker.jar that ships with SC3.0.1 Mac.

What do I do to log what's happening, or is it always done?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Windows/Bluetooth blues? All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: