FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

hx2400 with WM 5.0 upgrade and SC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epod86

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: hx2400 with WM 5.0 upgrade and SC Reply with quote

So I've been using Salling Clicker for a while now. It actually drove me to upgrade my T42 modem to the one that includes Bluetooth. Before my laptop had Bluetooth, I used the TCP/IP feature, which worked flawlessly. Then I discovered the world of hurt that is Bluetooth on Windows.

After an assortment of testing and connection errors (read: far to many hours wasted) I've discovered this: to get a connection, I have to restart both my laptop and my hx2400, with Bluetooth off at start up, turn both Bluetooth(s) on, then clicker on both devices, and connect from my laptop. Once this is done, I can hibernate/standby either device and they will reconnect with one another without any trouble. I can also disconnect and/or close clicker on my PDA. Not 100% on whether I can close clicker on my laptop and still re-connect without any hiccups. The one thing I know spells death for the connection, no matter what I do, is turning off the Bluetooth on my PDA. Currently testing if this is true for Bluetooth my laptop.

Moral of the story: restart everything, make a connection, AND LEAVE IT. Otherwise bad things happen.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with WM pda's / WM5.0 / HP / hx2400 / their device?
epod86

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:
I've discovered that powering off Bluetooth on my laptop is treated just like a signal loss (which makes sense, since I'm essentially "unplugging" the Bluetooth).

Also, closing out clicker on either my PDA or my laptop does not affect my ability to connect the two. It is looking more an more likely that what causes a failed connection is the way Bluetooth power off/on is treated in WM5.0 or because of the [i]iPAQ Wireless[/i] connection software used by HP on their devices.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to test any upgraded HP devices. It's a shame they're still going with the, IMHO, flaky Widcomm/Broadcom Bluetooth stack.

Hopefully, your notes will come in handy for someone else.

For the record, what version is the Bluetooth stack on your HP now?

Best.
--
Jonas
epod86

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, here is my complete setup:

[u]Laptop:[/u]
IBM T42
IBM Integrated Bluetooth II
(USB)
Cambridge Silicon Radio
Version 546

What clicker says:
Widcomm Bluetooth (1.4.3 Build 4)

[u]PDA:[/u]
HP iPAQ hx2410 with upgrade from WM2003 to WM5.0
Bluetooth for Windows CE
BT-PPC Version 1.7.1 Build 1200
Broadcomm Corp

I wish to draw attention to the fact that I have a hx2410 that I bought the WM5.0 upgrade for, from HP's website. I'm not using a hx2490, the re-released version. I think the primary difference is limited to the memory (my device has 64MB ROM, the hx2490 I think has 128MB ROM) but without the other device I can't be sure.

Hope I got everything.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional information. Here's how I think official WM5 support is going to pan out, in order of completion:

1. WM5 Pocket PC, with MS stack

2. WM5 Smartphone (always MS stack)

3. WM5 Pocket PC, with Broadcom stack

This order is primarily due to device availability where I'm located.

Best.
--
Jonas

PS. I we speak, I have #1 and #2 working. Not sure what release I'll be able to include them; I'm hoping 3.0.2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: