FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Problems with changing media libraries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gladhund

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Problems with changing media libraries Reply with quote

Hi!

I usually use the same laptop, where winamp has a watch folder - on a network machine. Today I tried to access some mp3 files on the same laptop. First I removed the watch folder (network machine), and then I tried to start Clicker, but Clicker said "Lost contact with winamp". I cannot seem to get winamp and Clicker to work together now. Clicker still shows the same files from the network machine, when i choose "Browse for Artist". Any ideas?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not sure I'm following your description of the problem. Please remember that the script (I know you're using) for WinAmp relies heavily on the ActiveWinamp plugin for Winamp, and it sounds to me that the whole "watch folder thing" may be beyond its capabilities.

If you could in very direct terms describe how to reproduce the problem, I will try to have a look at this.

In the meantime, perhaps someone else has had this problem and come up with a solution?

Best.
--
Jonas
gladhund

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jonas,

Well, maybe it's a problem with Winamp! Tonight I'll try to experiment a little with different machines, with and without the Watch folder, using different libriaries. Then I'll report back and present my findings :-)
gladhund

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Testing testing Reply with quote

Hi, I'm back with some results and some questions.

I have tried to remove all watch folders on two machines. Winamp now starts up with a completely blank playlist, and no associated libraries.

The results:
1. Lost contact with winamp
2. It is possible to choose "Browse by artist", but it still refers to all the artists in the old network watch folder....
3. I tried to restart Winamp and Clicker several times, hoping that they would accept the changes made, but nooooo! ;-)
4. If I load winamp with some songs ONE of the machines will let me use the winamp remote control
5. It is possible to view the playlist and choose song from there!

Preliminary questions:
1. Isn't it possible to start Winamp without files in the playlist?
2. When/how does Clicker update the content that is shown, when "Browse by artist" is chosen?
3. I have now: 1 stationary PC (over WLAN), the laptop and an external HD connected to one of the PCs. How do I start Clicker, and get to choose files from all of these sources?

I'll be back with more test results, hoping the be enlightened with answers to the above questions in the meantime.
gladhund

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea about my problems and questions?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with your type of multi-machine Winamp setup.

Please note that the Winamp script is rather simple, and it relies on the ActiveWinamp plugin.

A media library is required. If there's no media library, I think you get the "lost contact with winamp" error.

I'll try to give you some ideas with your questions:

1. You probably need a media library with tracks in it.

2. I could be mistaken, but I think it's updated when the total number of tracks has changed.

3. Hm. Not sure. Please note again that the script relies on the ActiveWinamp plugin, which in its turn relies on the winamp media library functionality. If the tracks from all these sources are available in the winamp media library, chances are it'll work. Alternatively, you could switch to iTunes, which is quite a bit more capable when it comes to allowing itself to be controlled remotely.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="gladhund"]Any idea about my problems and questions?[/quote]
gladhund

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanx man

I don't know how to work with that "Media library" but I'll look into it. And I'll try out iTunes again, maybe that's the way to... I'd just rather avoid the proprietary products...

It really puzzles me this bit with when the library is updated on the phone! I thought that the watch folder was the media library... Nothing happened no matter how many times I cleared the lists and restarted BT, winamp and Clicker...

I'll try some more things out - and at least I'm having fun at the same time! It's been a long time since i've tried this level of "Gear" joy for just 25 bucks ;-)
gladhund

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out about the media library and loaded a lot of songs into it. Clicker still says "Lost contact with Winamp". I am using ActiveWinamp and no watch folders. Uh...
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the scripts now. "Lost contact with Winamp" is a generic error message indicating that the part of the Winamp script that updates the contents of the mobile display failed. I'm afraid I can't say exactly what's going on in your case. :-(

Also, I had a look at the Browse script for Winamp. There's a problem with it. The cached information is kept around indefinitely. This is an omission in the script; we need to find a reasonably fast way to determine if there's been any changes to the library.

The cache can be purged manually by trashing the associated file:

..\Application Data\Salling Software AB\Salling Clicker\Script Settings\ 4F1CEEA4-A9C1-4832-88A4-B56FFD713B29\artists.txt

We'll have to try and improve the winamp script to do this automatically when there's been changes made.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="gladhund"]Found out about the media library and loaded a lot of songs into it. Clicker still says "Lost contact with Winamp". I am using ActiveWinamp and no watch folders. Uh...[/quote]
gladhund

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx a lot Jonas. That makes sense - nice to hear some explanations! I'm trying out iTunes right now, but I'll be looking out for any changes made to the Winamp script as well :-)

Over and out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: