FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Planned support for other Bluetooth stacks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quksilver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Planned support for other Bluetooth stacks? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm relatively new to bluetooth and honestly didn't even realize there were different bluetooth stacks. I purchased a Bluetake adapter and it is recognized as an SiW bluetooth device. Is that the type of bluetooth stack?

Salling Clicker didn't work, so I switched to the Microsoft stack so I could try it out, but the driver's a little lacking. I tried the Belkin Widcomm drivers, but my device isn't licensed for it. The SiW software was really nice. Are there any plans to support it? How about others?

Thanks! And great job on a handy piece of software! :)

Loren
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

SiW is not a stack; I think it's the chipset (Silicon Wave) used in your adapter.

You'd have to snoop around in these places to figure out what stack you had:

- Add/Remove programs
- Device Manager
- Control Panel -> Bluetooth settings

I'm guessing it was probably BlueSoleil och Toshiba.

Best.
--
Jonas
quksilver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, yes. The software was IVT Bluesoleil. That's Toshiba? I saw in another post that you were working on that. Thanks!

Loren
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluesoleil is not Toshiba. I'm working to try and add support for Toshiba. Bluesoleil has a lower priority at the moment.

Cheers.
--
Jonas
lakata

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: looking for bluesoleil support too Reply with quote

I *just* bought another USB adapter because the previous one only supported BlueSoleil.
-Mark
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for bluesoleil support too Reply with quote

What was your old adapter? I have yet to find one adapter that doesn't support the MS stack.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="lakata"]I *just* bought another USB adapter because the previous one only supported BlueSoleil.
-Mark[/quote]
lakata

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an MSI USB Hub with Bluetooth, model 6871. Not a big deal, it was only $22, and now I have a hub at least. I spent hours trying to figure out how to use the microsoft stack to no avail. I think the problem is that even though the underlying device is one of the standard bluetooth chipsets, it is given a weird USB VID/PID so the m$ drivers never recognize it.

I just dove into the world of bluetooth this week, and so far, I think I may have made a mistake. It seems that 802.11 is the future and bluetooth is dead (except for cellphone headsets). Unfortunately, my Palm Tungsten E2 (which I also bought for the sole purpose of using with the Clicker) doesn't have WiFi.
teetow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lakata"]I just dove into the world of bluetooth this week, and so far, I think I may have made a mistake. It seems that 802.11 is the future and bluetooth is dead (except for cellphone headsets).[/quote]
I wouldn't go that far. BT is essentially a cable replacement, while WiFi is excellent for transmitting larger data chunks between a cluster of devices. It's apples and... if not oranges, then at least pears.

I'll give you that the horrible Bluetooth support in Windows is doing a ton of hurt, but I'm pretty hopeful for coming generations. Remember, it's only been recently that Windows got its WiFi support shaped up. Two or three years ago, it too was a complete and utter nightmare - all the while, incidentally, MacOS X has both systems working like a charm.

Not meaning to go offtopic here, but it's a tangent discussion given that Salling Clicker has support for both systems. I found [url=http://www.mobileinfo.com/Bluetooth/Bluetooth-vs-WLAN.htm]this[/url] to be an interesting rundown on the subject.
lakata

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe not dead yet, but not impressive on Windows. Microsoft is definitely off on the wrong foot... the default drivers on the WHQL list overwrite most 3rd party drivers and break the installation. How long has SP2 been out, and still Belkin hasn't updated their release CD to offer a work around (it just breaks). The other MSI bluetooth device i had was a nightmare, consuming too much USB current and not telling me (except that I just couldn't get a decent connection). And the BlueSoleil software GUI is horrible. All graphical glitz and no usability...

Well, I just bought the SD Wi-Fi card for my Palm Tungsten E2, so we'll see if that is better.... Then I will at least be able to talk to my squeezebox via a web browser. The Clicker interface would be better, but I guess I will have to wait ?
johram

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: please support toshiba :) Reply with quote

hey,

long time user
first time windows

i love salling clicker.
i shopped for cell phones that were compatible with salling clicker and isync a while ago and bought the nokia ngage because it was the best symbian phone bang for buck.

i'm even one of the people whose ngage was hosed by the salling clicker update a while back.

i'm now on a sony ericsson k700i.
anyways... i love your software because it is intuitive and useful and just great.

i bought a new sony vaio sz160p. its awesome. carbon fiber shell and lots of goodies- its the 13.3 intel core duo laptop i was tired of waiting for apple to make.

i'm quite sad to hear that salling clicker doesn't support the toshiba adapter.
the guys at sony should have gone with the other adapter. don't they know how important salling clicker is?

anyways email me when you get it to work.
thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: