FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Installing on windows Server 2003

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
backpuller

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Installing on windows Server 2003 Reply with quote

When I try to install on my Windows Server 2003 (SP1) i get the following error just after the "Welcome to the Salling Clicker Installation Wizard"

- "Installation ended prematurely because of an error"

Any ideas?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing on windows Server 2003 Reply with quote

Hi,

Before we try installing with logging enabled to get more details, please try installing in "unattended mode" from the command line:

SallingClickerSetup.exe /passive

This should help in case there's something unexpected going on with VBScript on your system (Wise installer uses VBScript when moving between the panes of the installer).

Let me know how this works out.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="backpuller"]When I try to install on mu Windows Server 2003 (SP1) i get the following error just after the "Welcome to the Salling Clicker Installation Wizard"

- "Installation ended prematurely because of an error"

Any ideas?[/quote]
backpuller

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing on windows Server 2003 Reply with quote

Installing in passive mode works.

The applikation is now installed, and can be opened.

Then i set up my device, and try connecting. Then i get the message "Connecting..... Waiting for response". And it has been doing so for 30 min. now ?

[quote="salling"]Hi,

Before we try installing with logging enabled to get more details, please try installing in "unattended mode" from the command line:

[/quote]
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing on windows Server 2003 Reply with quote

Glad to hear that worked out!

I need your help in answering these questions:

1. What Bluetooth stack is on your PC?

2. What type of device are you connecting with?

3. What's happening on the computer end when you try to connect?

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="backpuller"]Installing in passive mode works.

The applikation is now installed, and can be opened.

Then i set up my device, and try connecting. Then i get the message "Connecting..... Waiting for response". And it has been doing so for 30 min. now ?

[quote="salling"]Hi,

[/quote][/quote]
backpuller

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing on windows Server 2003 Reply with quote

The stack is "Widcomm Bluetooth (1.4.2 Build 10)

The BT dongle is af Belkin. And the device trying to connect is a HP iPaq 3870.

If i try to connect from the computer, it says the requested service is not available.

[quote="salling"]Glad to hear that worked out!

Best.
--
Jonas

[/quote]
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing on windows Server 2003 Reply with quote

Okay. Thanks for the additional info. The problem in connecting from both ends is actually the result of the same problem, so we only need to focus on one thing:

For some reason, the PC is either (1) unable to properly scan for services on the iPAQ or (2) the client software on the iPAQ is unable to publish its service with the Bluetooth system on the hardware (iPAQ).

Assuming 1, it could be that your PC Bluetooth stack is a bit too old a version for Salling Clicker. The tools we use to make Salling Clicker leaves the lower compatibility treshold at 1.4.2.10 Service Pack 5. You don't say what SP you're at, but it could be a fringe case.

Assuming 2, it could be a similar story but on the iPAQ side. The lower end requirement here is (assuming the HP-standard Widcomm stack) 1.4.1.60 ("old" versioning style; on newer iPAQs, the Broadcom versioning is used; very confusing). You should be able to check the Bluetooth control panel on the iPAQ for the Widcomm version (under About/Advanced, or something like that).

Of these, I'm inclined to bet on #2. A couple of additional things:

A. What does Clicker say in its "idle screen" on your iPAQ (when not attempting to connect from it, that is)?

B. Did you try restarting the iPAQ?

C. Can you (in this moment) successfully send a vCard/contact/picture from your PC to your iPAQ via Bluetooth?

C. Have you paired your iPAQ and PC with each other? If this has not been done recently, it won't hurt to redo it for good measure.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="backpuller"]The stack is "Widcomm Bluetooth (1.4.2 Build 10)

The BT dongle is af Belkin. And the device trying to connect is a HP iPaq 3870.

If i try to connect from the computer, it says the requested service is not available.

[quote="salling"]Glad to hear that worked out!

Best.
--
Jonas

[/quote][/quote]
backpuller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing on windows Server 2003 Reply with quote

A: Not Connected- You can connect using either Bluetooth or TCP/IP

B: Yes :) A lot of times

C: Yes, no problem.

The iPaq Bluetooth is Widcomm Version 1.4.1 Build 58

I'm not sure what SP you're reffering to on the PC. If I look at Belkin's homepage there are no SP to download for the software.

[quote="salling"]

A. What does Clicker say in its "idle screen" on your iPAQ (when not attempting to connect from it, that is)?

C. Can you (in this moment) successfully send a vCard/contact/picture from your PC to your iPAQ via Bluetooth?

C. Have you paired your iPAQ and PC with each other? If this has not been done recently, it won't hurt to redo it for good measure.

[/quote]
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing on windows Server 2003 Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional information. :-)

I think the Bluetooth system software on the iPAQ is the cause of the problem. As you can see, it is slightly older than the 1.4.1.60 required by Salling Clicker (or rather, by the Widcomm software development kit used to build Salling Clicker).

The 3870 is a bit of an odd bird, as I believe it has been sold with both WM2002 and WM2003. I take it yours is an upgraded WM2002 model?

I had a look at HP:s web site to try and find upgrades to the Bluetooth system on the 3870, but wasn't able to find anything that seemed useful. That doesn't mean, of course, that it isn't possible.

I apologize for the confusion.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="backpuller"]A: Not Connected- You can connect using either Bluetooth or TCP/IP

B: Yes :) A lot of times

C: Yes, no problem.

The iPaq Bluetooth is Widcomm Version 1.4.1 Build 58

I'm not sure what SP you're reffering to on the PC. If I look at Belkin's homepage there are no SP to download for the software.

[quote="salling"]

[/quote][/quote]
backpuller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing on windows Server 2003 Reply with quote

Yes it's a upgraded WM2002. But i dont think the problem is at the iPaq. I've just tried to install SallingClicker on an other computer, using a Bluetooth Hub fro LogiTech (comes with DiNovo keyboards) and there it works perfect. So I think the solution for me is to get an other BT dongle for the Server running 2003. And then try the SallingClicker after the replacement of the BT.

I really hope i can get it running, as the Salling is a cool application.
The reason i hope to get it running, is that i trying to make a 'poor-man' version of a Sonos :)

Running iTunes togerther with a AirportExpress w/iTunes on the amplifier. The reason for installing in on a server version of Windows is that our server is running all the time, and the Workstation are not.

I'll keep you posted when i get a new BT dongle.

[quote="salling"]Thanks for the additional information. :-)

I think the Bluetooth system software on the iPAQ is the cause of the problem. As you can see, it is slightly older than the 1.4.1.60 required by Salling Clicker (or rather, by the Widcomm software development kit used to build Salling Clicker).

The 3870 is a bit of an odd bird, as I believe it has been sold with both WM2002 and WM2003. I take it yours is an upgraded WM2002 model?

I had a look at HP:s web site to try and find upgrades to the Bluetooth system on the 3870, but wasn't able to find anything that seemed useful. That doesn't mean, of course, that it isn't possible.

[/quote]
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's great! Thanks for being so persistent. Much appreciated. Let us know how it works out.

Best.
--
Jonas
TeeJay

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I help out here?

As far as Im aware Windows 2003 does not have Bluetooth support. I tried to install on my Window2003 Server and finally got the app installed but because there is no bluetooth stack, it wouldn't work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: