FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

XHub Media Center 2.3 - Leopard ready
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the Mac Hub project worth spending time on?
Absolutely
59%
 59%  [ 13 ]
Maybe
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
Probably not
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

kseiferlin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Snarb,

thanks for the really very fast response.

OK, here is what happened:

Hardware: 1 year old 15" Powerbook, 1 GB RAM
1) Download of DMG, open DMG
2) click on the install pkg
3) Installation on internal HD, as suggested by installer
4) Installation went absolutely smoothly
5) After a few second, preferences appears (without me having launched it) with the Xhub prefpane open. I had a look at all options but didn't change anything for the moment.
6) I started Xhub by the key combination shown in the prefpane
7) The screen turns white, and a black font menu with huge letters appears to the right. The first option is marked by a black triangle
8) I press cursor keys, down first. Nothing happens. Down again, nothing happens, down again, nothing happens. I try the mouse and click on one of the options in the menu. Nothing happens. Suddenly the menu JUMPS and the last option (Settings) is marked. I press return to enter settings. Nothing happens. I try the mouse, nothing happens. (Nothing is not quite right. The "white" screen is not really white, but has different shades of white, which are obviously animated. It took me 10 minutes staring at the screen to notice this, but there is something going on).

I try Expose, and XHub goes away. After I click on one of the windows, it is NOT activated, but XHub comes back. I try command-Q, no (visible) effect (however I noticed later that a few of my running programs were closed). I try Alt-Command-Escape and see the task manager, but as the warning in the readme said, there is currently no way to quit XHub or to kill XHub. I tried to kill a few others, works. I restart the finder, works, but still XHub blocks the screen.

I tried many many different key combinations, most with Q or C or Escape plus modifiers of all kinds and combinations to quit XHub. One (the 74th?) worked, don't remember which one. I have access to my computer again (but XHub is still running and slows down the computer).

Final step: start terminal, then "top", and finally "kill xxxx".

That's all I can say.

It seems to me that on my side there is no unusual hardware involved, and installation and settings all used the default, nothing "special". It didn't work anyway.
snarb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kseiferlin,

Most of the stuff you describe is intentional and perfectly normal. XHub is a background app, it runs in fullscreen mode, has large fonts and yes, most skins have subtle background animations. It also supports keyboard input in browse menus (you probably typed "s" before it jumped to "settings", or perhaps "6" which is its keyboard shortcut in the main menu). You should not be able to hide it or "outsmart" it with Exposť; it is supposed to stay on top of everything else as long as it runs in kiosk/fullscreen mode. Return key should not select anything; space does. The preference pane is supposed to open after installation. If you really want to terminate XHub (rather than hide it), you kill its process from the command line or Activity Monitor (or simply by removing the XHub login item and log out).

Sounds to me the only thing that didn't work as expected, was that you somehow repeatedly lost keyboard focus (it was regained when you clicked the mouse button). This could happen for example if you have Finder set to change desktop background every five minutes, or if some other app keeps activating itself on idle. I will make sure to prevent this from happening in the next update. After that everything should be just fine.

If you feel like trying out XHub just one more time, remember that clicking the mouse button will always regain lost keyboard focus. There is no reason to panic.
kseiferlin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I get the point now as you explain what should happen, when "S" is pressed. "s" is the "key" that is used in Applescripts for Salling Clicker. This brings me to the idea that Xhub is made to be controlled ONLY and really ONLY by Salling Clicker (or other remote controls).

Well, I used the keyboard right in front of me, and the mouse. And it had no effect. Clicking with the mouse to regain focus: I clicked with the mouse every now and then, and it didn't change anything.

I even had the idea that I should try salling clicker, but XHub didn't allow me to go back to the SC icon in the Tiger Menu in order to start SC and connect to my mobile - a classical dead loop.

Is it intended that the keyboard and mouse (I mean the computer keyboard here: cursor keys, enter, escape) are ignored, and XHub can only be controlled by remote controls???

What I miss most is a parachute, a backdoor to leave XHub, at least temporarily, for example to kill it from the terminal.
snarb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, no. XHub has full keyboard control. Please read the documentation (click the question mark in the preference pane) for all keyboard shortcuts. There are plenty. The only backdoor you need is the Escape key to exit the hub (or Command+Q to exit at any time/from any browse level.

Just to clarify: you can not use the mouse pointer to select anything in the browse menus. You should not even see the mouse pointer. If you do it means you lost keyboard focus. Clicking the mouse button re-enables focus (and hides the pointer). You then use arrow key up/down to navigate and space to select.

If you are sure that this did not work, please have a look at the console log to see if there is anything interesting in there (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app). If so, please respond in private, since this is probably not of much public interest.
kseiferlin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, time for me to go to Canossa, I guess. If my problem reports kept anyone off from trying XHub, read what happened and then give it a try.

Thanks to Snarb, we were able to track the problem down. One of the apps that were already running when I tried XHub the first time seemed to grab the focus all the time and on a quite fast rate. Xhub never had a fair chance to react on keystrokes. My suspicion is the X11 server application which causes some strange side effects elsewhere, for example the battery load time or remaining run time prediction goes mad when X11 is running.

I made a re-boot, and tried XHub on a clean system, with only few standard apps running. And guess what happened: it just works fine.

Sorry for the shouting and wailing - and many thanks to Snarb again!
boku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I wanna say that I am very new to the Mac world, so if this is a "noob" question then i appologize in advance...

I bought the Clicker months ago and absolutely love it! So thanks. but i recently downloaded XHub 0.9b and never was able to get it to launch. 0.95b came out so i downloaded and installed that, but still couldn't get it to launch. Control+Option+Return but all that happened was a preference search or C+O+R from desktop and just a "beep" sound. I also tried running it straight from salling but no "would u like to run" screen come up and the buttons do nothing but either bring up the search again or make a stupid "beep" sound. so i'm lost. I know it has to be something stupid but I can barley use this thing (MacMini) to begin with so i don't expect to solve this problem on my own.

Thanks
System:
1.5ghz MacMini with out the remote option
I've installed front row with the FR Enabler and it works fine.
cobolserverpages

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boku, I have the same problem
Option+Command+Enter simply does not do anything.
I also have a process titled 'droplet' that uses all of my CPU.
I see a process named 'Xhub' running as well.
Preference pane say 'Xhub is launched, press Option+Command+Enter to enter'.
I'm running a G4 Mac Mini, 1.4GHz, OSX 10.4.7.
I'm uninstalling for now, but I would love for this to work, since this is the only media center for mac I've found that does NOT rely on that POS called QT.
snarb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XHub has been verified to run on an Intel Mac, although not on a Mac Mini. So far all reports concerning this issue are from people with Mac Minis, so it appears the problem only affects this particular model. Please write to me at snarb dot tk at gmail dot com if you feel like helping out with some testing.

The droplet hogging the CPU is an easy fix. It will be taken care of in the next update.
apbest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I downloaded the dmg, mounted, and ran the installer without problem. Afterwards it launched the xhub pane in the system preferences and when I try to press the key combination to launch (option,apple,enter), nothing happens. is there someway to launch it without a key combination? when I went to /library/applications there was no xhub folder

I however am running on a 15" powerbook not intel v10.4
snarb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "not starting" problem has now been solved. Just keep an eye out for the next update.
snarb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XHub has now been updated to 0.9.6b. See first post for details.
snarb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New beta posted today. See first post for details.
boku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, seems to be working now. :thumbsup:

couple things tho, Is there a way to quit out of the program? It seems that its always running in the background and i can't seem to find a way to shut it down.
Also after i installed and ran it for the first time I lost all my minimize buttons on my safari windows. It may not be related to xhub but I noticed it right after i ran it yesterday and they haven't came back since (the yellow button on the left corner of the window.)
snarb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]a way to quit out of the program?[/quote]
Try Command-Q :wink:

PS. Missing safari buttons has nothing to do with XHub
settimio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="snarb"][quote]a way to quit out of the program?[/quote]
Try Command-Q :wink:

PS. Missing safari buttons has nothing to do with XHub[/quote]

The software is anaivalable for download
you're coming out with a final version?

I'd like to see the interface but there's no trace of it on the website....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Mac All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: