FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Problem with WIFI on Nokia E65

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Windows/Bluetooth blues?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vkritter

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Problem with WIFI on Nokia E65 Reply with quote

Hi,

Attempting to use wifi with no success.

I have set the access point and password on the phone in the settings section for clicker correctly. But when I attempt to connect via wifi, it searches for 10 or so seconds and I am then greeted with a "No computers found" as the title and "search again..." as my only option (other than cancel)

Setup:
Netgear router/wireless access point
PC is connected via cable
Phone via wifi

Wifi (same thing happens with and without wpa)

No firewall on the pc.

First I thought that WIFI may not be working correctly over the lan but it works fine for the internet and fine if connecting to the local lan (ip based not dns netbios names as the router simply points to my isp's dns server).

Hosted a www server on pc and that works fine with the nokia browser.

Bluetooth connection with clicker works fine so thats at least something.

Fport output:
[code:1]
Pid Process Port Proto Path
4116 WinClicker -> 2196 TCP C:\Pro...\WinClicker.exe
4116 WinClicker -> 52131 TCP C:\Pro...\WinClicker.exe
4116 WinClicker -> 1030 UDP C:\Pro...\WinClicker.exe
4116 WinClicker -> 1073 UDP C:\Pro...\WinClicker.exe
5924 OUTLOOK -> 5353 UDP C:\Pro...\OUTLOOK.EXE
[/code:1]

According to the readme udp 5353 should be used but outlook (2003) is using it... im presuming the udp connections are for the broadcast to locate the computers?

Thanks in advance.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't know exactly how fport does its job, but it doesn't appear to properly identify our use of multicast UDP on port 5353. Not that this matters much; we're not trying to get fport to work properly here (and when I run fport on my machine, I get similar results).

Assuming your computer really doesn't have the Windows firewall enabled (our installer should poke a hole in it for port 5353 UDP), I tend to feel this may be a router issue.

Does your router protect your "internal" (wired) network from clients attaching to the wireless network? I know some access points have features such as this.

I would encourage you to inspect the router settings.

Best.
--
Jonas
vkritter

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After your router comment i went diging.

The physical topology is router(w 4 port 10/100 switch) - gigabit switch - pc

If the pc is hooked up to the router's switch it works fine, must be a limitation in the router/switch broadcast as I cant find any settings.

May also be the switch but it isnt any fancy level 3 product, so I doubt it.

At the moment I have the computer with a connection to the gigabit and the switch and it seems to work, not very clean but it works.

Will have to investigate.

Thanks for your prompt reply.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you (sort of) found the cause of the problem.

Best.
--
Jonas
vkritter

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas

Not is all as it seems.

After some more experimenting i have found there is no hardware/routing/switching errors.

I have hooked up two laptops (mac and windows) to the switch and they both work.

I then ran ethereal on the (windows) desktop.

First the mobile sends out its udp request (PTR _sallingclicker._tcp.local) to everywhere... The pc picks this up.

The two laptops then reply to the mobile, again the desktop picks it up.

The mobile then sends an additional two broadcasts out then timeout.

No reply from the desktop is sent.

Is there any known compatibility issues?
The only other software I run at the time (i tested this without anything else running) is Trillian (no rendezvous plugin), Outlook and firefox.

I also disabled blue tooth on the phone and pc just to ensure this wasnt the culprit (i use it to sync my contacts/callendar with outlook).

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, vkritter, for the trouble-shooting you're doing.

From your description, as you're not mentioning the format of the additional broadcast queries sent out by the phone, I assume the phone is iterating the same broadcasts a couple of times.

This would indicate that the phone isn't receiving responses. As you can see the response packets on the network, it would appear that the packets either (1) never reach the phone (router problem) or that (2) our application on the phone never receives the multicast packets.

Assuming #2 above, there are two known "compatibility" problems:

1. The firewall in F-Secure for S60, not surprisingly, "breaks" non-trivial use of the phone's networking facilities. Turn it off if you have it installed.

2. SmartRoaming from BirdStep doesn't deal well with multicast networking (I've reported this problem to them, and I think they're working on a fix). If you have it installed, try uninstalling.

Best.
--
Jonas
vkritter

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes 3x "PTR _sallingclicker._tcp.local" packets. According to Ethereal the phone isnt receiving the return packet as nothing is sent.

I initially thought it was a routing problem but i have 'completely' ruled that out. This is proven as ethereal shows the broadcast packet on said desktop. (And through testing of the network equipment with two seperate laptops as mentioned earlier).

Regarding the firewall software (no idea what birdstep is, it isnt installed in either case) neither is installed on the phone. F-Secure came pre-installed but I saw little point in having it and was more of a nuisance than anything as it would continuously kill the connection between the phone and works mail server.

The only firewall in the network is between the cable modem/router and the internal LAN, but that is doing its job.

To be honest I doubt its the phone as it works with another windows notebook and a macbook with no interuptions.

Curious if you know of any programs on PCs that may be 'reading' the broadcasts instead of clicker?

Quick google says that udp port 5353 is heavily used by apple for general broadcasts... ie itunes music shares, rendezvous chat, printing etc etc, could that be an issue?

My knowledge on the inner workings of tcp/udp broadcasting is limited; I could probably fit it all on a post-it note; hence my many questions.

How does the client (phone) identify potential servers? Mobile broadcasts to network, server(s) return tcp ip/ports, then mobile connects? Is there a way of forcing a connection from the mobile phone client to a tcp ip/port?

If no well I suppose the only sure way of knowing its a software bug is to install xp on a spare drive and see if it still happens. Excessive, but If that doesn't work then I have no idea.

Cheers, Van

NB: Network topology (if it is helpful) is as follows

Mobile ---wireless--- Netgear WAP

Netgear WAP --- cabled ethernet --- switch

switch ---cabled ethernet --- PC

Internet is provided by its own modem/router connected to the switch.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I confused things a bit here... The list on the phone is populated from responses received to the PTR queries. No other types of queries are sent until you try to connect.

Doesn't change my analysis, though. As the computers aren't showing up to the phone, and the PCs are receiving AND responding to the queries sent by the phone, everything points to the phone not seeing the responses. Did you try restarting the phone?

Other user-level applications installed on the PC shouldn't interfere. It's all multicast, so every app that has joined the multicast group will receive packets. The only interference I'm aware of is certain VPN products that freak out and block out traffic.

One more thing you can try to bring some sense to this:

1. Enable Salling Clicker -> Settings -> TCP/IP -> Sharing on all PCs on your network
2. Connect your phone to one PC with Bluetooth
3. Verify whether the other PC(s) show up under "Clicker Network" in the main menu of Salling Clicker on your phone.
4. If this is not the case, something's definitely bad with your PCs/network. (same type of discovery protocol used here as on the phone).

And another thing to try:

Try checking if a wirelessly connected PC/laptop can be discovered.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="vkritter"]yes 3x "PTR _sallingclicker._tcp.local" packets. According to Ethereal the phone isnt receiving the return packet as nothing is sent.

I initially thought it was a routing problem but i have 'completely' ruled that out. This is proven as ethereal shows the broadcast packet on said desktop. (And through testing of the network equipment with two seperate laptops as mentioned earlier).

Regarding the firewall software (no idea what birdstep is, it isnt installed in either case) neither is installed on the phone. F-Secure came pre-installed but I saw little point in having it and was more of a nuisance than anything as it would continuously kill the connection between the phone and works mail server.

The only firewall in the network is between the cable modem/router and the internal LAN, but that is doing its job.

To be honest I doubt its the phone as it works with another windows notebook and a macbook with no interuptions.

Curious if you know of any programs on PCs that may be 'reading' the broadcasts instead of clicker?

Quick google says that udp port 5353 is heavily used by apple for general broadcasts... ie itunes music shares, rendezvous chat, printing etc etc, could that be an issue?

My knowledge on the inner workings of tcp/udp broadcasting is limited; I could probably fit it all on a post-it note; hence my many questions.

How does the client (phone) identify potential servers? Mobile broadcasts to network, server(s) return tcp ip/ports, then mobile connects? Is there a way of forcing a connection from the mobile phone client to a tcp ip/port?

If no well I suppose the only sure way of knowing its a software bug is to install xp on a spare drive and see if it still happens. Excessive, but If that doesn't work then I have no idea.

Cheers, Van

NB: Network topology (if it is helpful) is as follows

Mobile ---wireless--- Netgear WAP

Netgear WAP --- cabled ethernet --- switch

switch ---cabled ethernet --- PC

Internet is provided by its own modem/router connected to the switch.[/quote]
vkritter

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I will attempt to swap the bluetooth around with another device and see what it picks up.

If i connect to the desktop via bluetooth and try to browse the "Clicker network" the laptop apears.

However if i connect to the laptop via wifi nothing apears.

RE VPN software I do have the cisco vpn client installed. HOWEVER it is also installed on the laptop.

Doesn't sound right. I will attempt a pc rebuild when I have the available time to eradicate any possible software glitches as 'technically' it is configured correctly.

Bloody computer :(
Papa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm pretty new to SallingClicker.
But i figured out everything. And all stuff is setup and is working well.
As I have installed "F-Secure" on my E65, the wifi-connection only works, when the Firewall is turned off on the phone.
Result: When I don't want to turn the mobile's firewall on/off each time I want to connect with SallingClicker via wifi, F-Secure goes pretty useless on the phone. Is there any chance, to work with the firewall and SallingClicker on the phone togehter (without conflicts when F-Secure is turned on)?
Or do I simply have to omit F-Secure?

Apriciate any comments. Thanx in advance...

Papa.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Papa,

I think this firewall is a pretty useless feature in the first place, at least for as long as there are no documented cases of TCP/IP-based attacks on these phones.

Unfortunately, as far as I know there is no way for us to integrate with the firewall, and it treats our traffic as something it should block; you have to unblock it yourself by turning off the firewall.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="Papa"]Hi,
I'm pretty new to SallingClicker.
But i figured out everything. And all stuff is setup and is working well.
As I have installed "F-Secure" on my E65, the wifi-connection only works, when the Firewall is turned off on the phone.
Result: When I don't want to turn the mobile's firewall on/off each time I want to connect with SallingClicker via wifi, F-Secure goes pretty useless on the phone. Is there any chance, to work with the firewall and SallingClicker on the phone togehter (without conflicts when F-Secure is turned on)?
Or do I simply have to omit F-Secure?

Apriciate any comments. Thanx in advance...

Papa.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Windows/Bluetooth blues? All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: