FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Bluetooth 'lazy' Control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Scripting Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d_mc_a

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth 'lazy' Control Reply with quote

I'm trying out the possibility to a bluetooth dongle (or maybe a pair of dongles) detecting the location of a device within the bluetooth area. I've read alot of forums saying that its not possible to use bluetooth to triangulate the position of device but i can't see how that's true.

It has to be even 'possible' to get an approximate idea of where a device is. What if two bluetooth dongles from two different fixed positions with overlapping area's 'pinged' or 'polled' a device without actually connecting. Could you not use the response time from both devices to get an approximate idea of where the device is?!?

I think its would be cool to have 'lazy' control of something by just having a phone in your pocket. For example, you could have a script that draws virtual boxes around a room.. When you step in to these boxes, events happen. Music pauses etc, anything is possible :P

Tell me if I'm dreaming....

[/img]
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth 'lazy' Control Reply with quote

Very cool, albeit in my opinion not a commercially viable, idea.

Not sure if timing information is available (bouncing stuff back and forth the normal way would take different times anyways, based on how many CPU cycles the application gets), but I suppose in theory one could use the radio strength indicator. In real-life, however, it offers very crude distance measurements (lots of other things affect the radio strength, and it's often not very accurate to begin with).

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="d_mc_a"]I'm trying out the possibility to a bluetooth dongle (or maybe a pair of dongles) detecting the location of a device within the bluetooth area. I've read alot of forums saying that its not possible to use bluetooth to triangulate the position of device but i can't see how that's true.

It has to be even 'possible' to get an approximate idea of where a device is. What if two bluetooth dongles from two different fixed positions with overlapping area's 'pinged' or 'polled' a device without actually connecting. Could you not use the response time from both devices to get an approximate idea of where the device is?!?

I think its would be cool to have 'lazy' control of something by just having a phone in your pocket. For example, you could have a script that draws virtual boxes around a room.. When you step in to these boxes, events happen. Music pauses etc, anything is possible :P

Tell me if I'm dreaming....

[/img][/quote]
d_mc_a

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, i was thinking that the set up would be very much location specific. I'm going to look deeper into this, most likely outside salling clicker. I'll keep you posted. I actually keep getting flashes of use's for this type of set up.

Example - a small bluetooth 'segment' drawn in the doorway to a room. The door is electronicly locked and connected to a pc. The PC could detect someone in the segmented bluetooth area and unlock the door, depending on the MAC of the bluetooth device. rather than EVERY time they enter the range.

Unfortunately, this is most likely not going to work this well in practice...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Scripting Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: