FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Need help with sending Fn+F8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Scripting Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkhaim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Need help with sending Fn+F8 Reply with quote

Fn is my laptop's function key
I would like to send Fn+F8 to my laptop
Meaning:
Press and hold Fn
press and release F8
release Fn

How can I do that?

I have problems detecting the key code for the Fn key and I wasn't able to find how to hold it down while pressing the F8
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with sending Fn+F8 Reply with quote

I'm not sure you need to worry about the fn key. Does this not work for you?

SendVirtualKeystroke( 0x77, false, false, false, false );

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="dirkhaim"]Fn is my laptop's function key
I would like to send Fn+F8 to my laptop
Meaning:
Press and hold Fn
press and release F8
release Fn

How can I do that?

I have problems detecting the key code for the Fn key and I wasn't able to find how to hold it down while pressing the F8[/quote]
dirkhaim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course not. Just sending an F8 key, is just like pressing it. In my case I get the Yahoo widgets becoming active. However, even I turn Yahoo widgets off, I don't get anything related to what I want.

I tried to catch the function key or Fn+F8 using macro recorders, but they didn't see anything. Odd.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fn+F8 might be a hardwired BIOS feature that cannot be invoked programmatically.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="dirkhaim"]Of course not. Just sending an F8 key, is just like pressing it. In my case I get the Yahoo widgets becoming active. However, even I turn Yahoo widgets off, I don't get anything related to what I want.

I tried to catch the function key or Fn+F8 using macro recorders, but they didn't see anything. Odd.[/quote]
dirkhaim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn...

Anyway you can think of for switching between TV and the laptop monitor?
This way I don't have to switch it at the computer every time I want to watch TV
jae_63

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figure out what program Fn-F8 key is invoking, by starting the Windows Task Manager prior to pressing Fn-F8.

Once you've identified this program and where it resides, try running it from the command line. If you can switch screens successfully in that manner, then setup Clicker to run that program (there are some generic programs to do that available in the archives of this forum).

----

Another idea: can you do what you want using the "Display" control panel applet? The scripting commands to control that applet are well-documented elsewhere on the Internet, although I don't recall the details of what to search for.

Once you've tried one or both of these approaches, write back here for more assistance, and include the information that you've gleaned.
dirkhaim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Asus laptop. I discovered that the process that control this is called hcontrol.exe
I found the file and the verified that this is the one I am looking for. I guess that punching the Fn+F8 sends a signal to the live process.

Any idea how I can catch that signal and create it myself?
jae_63

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... this is tough. I thought that the program in-question would be [b]launched only[/b] when you strike the Fn-F8 key. But this is different than what I expected ... hcontrol.exe is a daemon which runs on your laptop, and I couldn't find any documentation regarding how to control it, or whether it can be controlled via ActiveX.

Here are a few suggestions:
(1) explore the Windows control panel idea that I mentioned previously
(2) post a question (regarding how/whether hcontrol.exe can be controlled externally) on the AsusTek forum:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=3&SLanguage=en-us
(3) Perhaps you can persuade Hcontrol.exe to monitor some keystrokes which don't involve the Fn key ... if you can do this, then you should be able to trigger those keystrokes from Salling Clicker. This post contains some hints for how the registry entry for Hcontrol.exe might be layed-out:
http://www.hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1144290.html

HTH ...
soldstatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bet that the fn+f8 thing you press (switches between crt/monitor/both modes or something right?) is still a virtual key.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/WinUI/WindowsUserInterface/UserInput/VirtualKeyCodes.asp

I just looked through and didn't find a universal "display switch key" or anything, but i would bet that one of those "oem" keys is your monster. In my case, i know the cn+f4 is the sleep button, and there is one of those in the virtual keys list, and so are most of my other fn keys, so I bet its there, just not in plain site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Scripting Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: