FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Can I assign to Navi, Vol Up/Dn, Left/Right Selection Keys?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sukhjinder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Can I assign to Navi, Vol Up/Dn, Left/Right Selection Keys? Reply with quote

Hi, other than keys 1 - #, I'd like to configure the phone
1) Navigation keys to Up/Down/Left/Right keys and selection key to ENTER
2) Volume Up/Down keys to F7 & F8
3) Camera shortcut key to F6
4) Left/Right Selection keys to Ctrl-R and Ctrl-K

Also which phones offer more keys to be configured Smartphones (Nokia N72) or regular (SE W810i) ones? Please suggest which type should I buy.

Thanks
Sukhjinder
http://sukhjinder.co.nr
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Can I assign to Navi, Vol Up/Dn, Left/Right Selection Ke Reply with quote

1. Testing with an N95 here, it would seem that the W810 might offer slightly more keys (in particular, the volume up/down keys).

2. As for your first question, please see this:

http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2930

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="sukhjinder"]Hi, other than keys 1 - #, I'd like to configure the phone
1) Navigation keys to Up/Down/Left/Right keys and selection key to ENTER
2) Volume Up/Down keys to F7 & F8
3) Camera shortcut key to F6
4) Left/Right Selection keys to Ctrl-R and Ctrl-K

Also which phones offer more keys to be configured Smartphones (Nokia N72) or regular (SE W810i) ones? Please suggest which type should I buy.

Thanks
Sukhjinder
http://sukhjinder.co.nr[/quote]
sukhjinder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Please confirm available keys on SE w810i Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I tried using Sony Ericsson's Bluetooth Remote Control, with W 700i, which allowed me to use keys 1-# and Vol Up/Dn but NOT phone navigation keys (pressing them moved mouse only). So please [b]Confirm[/b] on some SE device (if possible W810i) if I can really assign Keyboard actions Up/Dn/Left/Right to its navigation keys along with Vol Up/Dn and Cam keys.

With phones running Symbian OS I hoped I'd get greater control over phones keys but it seems I cannot assign to Vol Up/Dn and Cam keys.

Actually I want to buy a new phone and want to use it as a remote control. I want to use as many keys as possible on the phone for Remote Control use.

So please advice which way to go.

I did read the link which is about creating custom key mappings.

Thanks
Sukhjinder...
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Please confirm available keys on SE w810i Reply with quote

Volume up/down + camera should work on the W810.

As it is relatively easy to build your script so that less frequently used items are available in submenus, I'm not sure I'd base my choice about what phone to buy on the number of addressable buttons.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="sukhjinder"]Thanks for the info. I tried using Sony Ericsson's Bluetooth Remote Control, with W 700i, which allowed me to use keys 1-# and Vol Up/Dn but NOT phone navigation keys (pressing them moved mouse only). So please [b]Confirm[/b] on some SE device (if possible W810i) if I can really assign Keyboard actions Up/Dn/Left/Right to its navigation keys along with Vol Up/Dn and Cam keys.

With phones running Symbian OS I hoped I'd get greater control over phones keys but it seems I cannot assign to Vol Up/Dn and Cam keys.

Actually I want to buy a new phone and want to use it as a remote control. I want to use as many keys as possible on the phone for Remote Control use.

So please advice which way to go.

I did read the link which is about creating custom key mappings.

Thanks
Sukhjinder...[/quote]
sukhjinder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Why I need more kyes Reply with quote

I'm writing my own Media Centric Media Player and want to use phone navigation keys for navigating within the program and would like to use the keys 1-# for Play/Pause/Next/Prev/Fwd/Rev/Fullscreen/Esc/Mute/ etc and Phone Vol Up/Dn keys for Prog Vol Up/Dn. I dont think I'd prefer to navigate to a submenu to control my app, I'd rather have a dedicated button for all the functions.

I need about 18 keys.
1-# are 12 keys,
Navigation + Selection 5 keys
Vol Up/Dn 2 keys
Cam 1 Key
Left/Right Soft keys 2

If I cannot use Phone Navi keys for navigation then I'm limited in the number of usable keys

So please Confirm (if possible, by actually using a SE phone) if navi keys can be assigned to

I hope I've put myselves clearly

Thanks for all your help
Sukhjinder
My Media Player http://sukhjinder.co.nr/letsyo
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The d-pad keys are always functional, on all models.

In addition to the keys you're listing, the C key is also available on SE phones.

Note: one softkey will always be lost to the built-in "back" command.

Best.
--
Jonas
sukhjinder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Thanks... Reply with quote

Thanks Jonas. I think you can post a topic, and mark it pinned, listing all the keys which can be configured to be used with Clicker. It would be a lot of help for people like me wondering which keys we can use

Thanks once again...
Looking for a great association with Clicker
Sukhjinder...
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks... Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it's close to impossible for me to make a complete such list, as it'd require access to all supported devices (I have a lot, but far from all).

Also, as most people already have the device they're trying to make a controller script for, I don't think such a list is as useful as it may sound.

Finally, I actually want to discourage use of "exotic" keycodes, as their use cause controller scripts to be device-specific.

That said, I do understand your need for this information in this particular instance.

The only keys that are more or less guaranteed to exist everywhere are d-pad (5-way), "menu" softkey, and "back" softkey, and I recommend script authors stick with those if they want their creations to work across most devices (I say "most", because some devices have a jog-dial instead of a d-pad, and on those devices it's not possible to target up/down "hold" actions).

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="sukhjinder"]Thanks Jonas. I think you can post a topic, and mark it pinned, listing all the keys which can be configured to be used with Clicker. It would be a lot of help for people like me wondering which keys we can use

Thanks once again...
Looking for a great association with Clicker
Sukhjinder...[/quote]
sukhjinder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: List of supported keys Not Script using all the keys Reply with quote

lemme clear few things

I thought about a post having which keys Clicker can be configured to use [b]Not[/b] a script using all of the supported keys.

A post similar to the one below

Supported keys
1) keys 0-9
2) *, #
3) D-Pad (4/5 way navigation keys)
4) Volume Up/Dn (for Sony Ericsson phones, may not work for others including Nokia)
5) Cam shortcut key (for SE only)
6) Left/Right Soft keys
7) Cancel (C key on SE phones)

Not Supported
1) Jog Dials

You can edit the list above as you know better.

This would provide potential users a brief idea about which keys can be used by them. I think Vol Up/Dn and Cam shortcut keys are not available with Nokia Smartphones but available in SE phones. So you can inform users about this in some post.

Thanks Jonas...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: