FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Help with additions to WinDVD script

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Scripting Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiboy6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Help with additions to WinDVD script Reply with quote

Don't know how many people here use daffy's excellent WinDVD script...but I was hoping to add a couple of features to it...

All I want to be able to do is to chose the audio track and subtitles on the playing DVD from my phone.

Would this be an easy modification? If so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really really appreciate it....

I watch a lot of asian movies, and it's frustrating having to get up to make sure the right subtitles are on!

Thanks a lot in advance........... :D
kiboy6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any clue how to go about achieving this? Seem like an essential part of a complete DVD remote script .... :D
kiboy6

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone at least be able to tell me if this sounds like a complicated modification? As in are there reasons that such a feature probably wasn't included to begin with?

Or is it worth delving into?

kiboy6

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just resurrecting this thread in case anyone has any input. Thanks! :)

This remains the one thing that regularly makes me have to get off the couch and go to the PC!
operaman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help with additions to WinDVD script Reply with quote

I'm not familar with WinDVD... I think I've used it before, but I don't have a copy on hand. I think I use Media Player Classic for watching DVDs, but I play video-DVDs in my PC's so rarely, I'm not 100% sure :-)

Also, disclaimer: I'm no Clicker guru. Not by a long shot!

Disclaimers aside, here's what you need to do (sorry if this is obvious to you, but it's all I know!)

You'll need a program that'll let you see the messages passed between the different windows of WinDVD.
These "windows" are more numerous than you might think. IE, if WinDVD has a toolbar, that's a window. If it has a menubar, that's a window. If it has a statusbar, that's a window too. You get the idea. Seeing that WinDVD is intended to be DVD-playing software, it's main window is probably some non-standard window that looks like some goofy, brightly colored shape that makes me wince and strive to not curse when I'm trying to figure out how to tell it to open a file or find the version that's running.
Anyway, all these "windows" communicate by passing messages back and forth.
An excellent program to let you see the messages the windows pass back and forth is "Winspector".
Find it, install it, run it.

When Winspector runs, you'll see a big ol' list of running processes in a tree on your left. Find the main WinDVD process. Under that will be a listing of WinDVD windows. I think all of these are "Top Level Windows", but I may be misusing that term. Pick the one that looks like the main window and right-click on it and click on "Messages...".
The pane on your right will then show up and probably start scrolling like crazy showing you all the hundreds of messages that window's sending and recieving while you're not even touching it.
You'll want to right-click in this message pane and make sure "Filter messages" is disabled. Then, again, right-click on that pane and click on "Edit message filter". For all the messages that are flying by spamming that pane while you're not doing something useful, add those messages to the filter list so you don't see them.
Keep doing this; it may take a while.
After you've got that filter list pretty complete, flip over to WinDVD and do the shortest keyboard shortcut or series of mouse clicks you can to make your desired change happen.
Then flip back to Winspector and see if you can find the actual message that was sent to which window to make the change happen.
You'll probably have to edit that filter list again, clear the messages, and do the action in WinDVD again several times before you get the list down to a short enough list.

When you think you've found which message needs to be sent to which window, add it to your Clicker script and see if it works.
Rinse and repeat until you hit the right one.

Note it may be something fairly nasty for this; maybe WinDVD sends a "do subtitle #2" message. You can find that message but on the next DVD the subtitle track you want is actually subtitle #5. You may have to look around for a way to send a "try next subtitle track" message. Or keep a variable as a counter and keep increasing and decreasing that as you skip to the different subitle/audio/video tracks.

I hope this helps. I really only barely know anything, so, frankly I'd be surprised if it does help :-)
kiboy6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow operaman - thanks so much for the detailed response!

Really kind of you to take the time to do that - I will definitely look into it when I get the chance.

Using winspector to get the windows messages for windvd sounds like a great idea - only problem is I wouldn't know how to modify the windvd scripts to execute them.

But perhaps if I at least identify the messages that would be a start and you, or some other kind soul here, could then point me further in the right direction for implementing those commands via clicker.

[quote]Seeing that WinDVD is intended to be DVD-playing software, it's main window is probably some non-standard window that looks like some goofy, brightly colored shape that makes me wince and strive to not curse when I'm trying to figure out how to tell it to open a file or find the version that's running. [/quote]

I know that windvd can seem a little bloated compared to something like MPC. However the reason I like it (in conjunction with this clicker script) is because it provides a much stronger dvd-menu experience for my HTPC setup. I have loads of dvd images on my hard drive, and windvd lets me view them just as if i put a dvd in a standalone player :)
operaman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand that desire for the DVD menu experience since they're there.

Though honestly, DVD menus are one of my pet peeves.
Every single one of them is different.
And sometimes when you try to skip past some lame, slow, agonizing opening thing, MY DVD player basically flips me off with this "red circle with a line thru it" meaning it won't let me skip that content. Horrible. The lack of control of my own hardware just bugs me.
I really wish the menus were arranged more like tracks on a CD where there are meaningful forward and back buttons or like a standard directory of content were the disc provides the list of "files" and descriptions and my DVD player shows me a content listing of it's own.
But that's just not how the system works and is really irrelevant to the current discussion, sorry for the rant :-)

Sending the msgs isn't too bad really.
Look at the code in some of those .js scripts.

The important parts are 1) identifying which window is the WinDVD window that messages need to be sent to and 2) what message to send them.
I've tweaked some scripts myself, but have only recently tried creating my own for an app no one seems to have a script for (an old version of ACDSee). I've only had a couple blocks of about 30 min each in the last 2 weeks to work on my little ACDSee prj and so I'm not really making much progress. And I'm on vacation for the next 10 days starting in 4 hours! Woo hoo!

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Scripting Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: