FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Blackberry Bold w/ Media Sync

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaRTiMuS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Blackberry Bold w/ Media Sync Reply with quote

Gave this a quick try yesterday.

- Installs fine under Vista x64
- Connected the blackberry via USB cable put it into mass storage mode. Not detected.
- Connected the blackberry without mass storage mode. Not detected.

Another thing that I think is important is the fact that PC Apps that interface with blackberries usually ask for the "device password" if one is set, which this one does not, well it does not detect the phone so who knows if it would have asked me.

I know this app has just started in development but it isnt really useful until it starts working over wifi, as there is already a Media Connect application for blackberries that syncs itunes playlists.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Blackberry Bold w/ Media Sync Reply with quote

Hi there,

Thanks for doing a bit of testing here. Much appreciated. I haven't had a chance to test things with the Bold model.

When you connect in mass storage mode, does your phone show up in Explorer?

Are you connecting through a USB hub, or directly to the device?

I'm not sure if the "device password" thing applies to mass storage mode (it would seem weird if every client application using mass storage mode would need to authenticate for this; it really wouldn't be mass storage mode, unless the phone mounted in Explorer by itself).

If you've tried the Media Connect application, I hope you'll find that ours work better (I do, for sure), and also offers support for podcasts. The choice is all yours, of course.

The most likely cause for your Bold not being detected is that I haven't correctly anticipated what USB product ID it's using (RIM appears to be recycling some IDs across multiple models, but apparently not so with the Bold).

Please try sticking the attached file onto the root of the file system of the Bold (in case it mounts multiple storages, put it on the largest storage). Then re-plug the device or re-launch Salling Media Sync.

If that works, we should try and figure out what the USB product ID is for the Bold.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="BaRTiMuS"]Gave this a quick try yesterday.

- Installs fine under Vista x64
- Connected the blackberry via USB cable put it into mass storage mode. Not detected.
- Connected the blackberry without mass storage mode. Not detected.

Another thing that I think is important is the fact that PC Apps that interface with blackberries usually ask for the "device password" if one is set, which this one does not, well it does not detect the phone so who knows if it would have asked me.

I know this app has just started in development but it isnt really useful until it starts working over wifi, as there is already a Media Connect application for blackberries that syncs itunes playlists.[/quote]

RIM MSC.transportConfig
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  RIM MSC.transportConfig
 Filesize:  5.09 KB
 Downloaded:  1218 Time(s)

BaRTiMuS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will try it when I get home from work.

When I go into mass storage mode, two drives show up on my system. One for the system memory and a separate drive for the memory card in the phone. So yeah, I guess as long as that is there, you dont really need much else.

Oh, and I am connecting through a hub. I will test it directly as well.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly confident this is a USB product ID thing. If you stick the transportConfig file onto the storage, it should make Media Sync accept the storage anyways.

Once you're through with some basic testing using that transportConfig file, I'd like to hook you up via email so I can gather additional data from you, to make sure we make the most of this.

Cheers.
--
Jonas

[quote="BaRTiMuS"]Thanks, I will try it when I get home from work.

When I go into mass storage mode, two drives show up on my system. One for the system memory and a separate drive for the memory card in the phone. So yeah, I guess as long as that is there, you dont really need much else.

Oh, and I am connecting through a hub. I will test it directly as well.[/quote]
BaRTiMuS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the file did not help. I put it in the root of both drives with no luck.

I am just not sure if the directory that is shown to my in "my computer" is actually the root of each drive or if its just what the device chooses to show me. Because I don't really see any system files anywhere.

email: bortimusAThotmailDOTcom

[quote="salling"]I'm fairly confident this is a USB product ID thing. If you stick the transportConfig file onto the storage, it should make Media Sync accept the storage anyways.

Once you're through with some basic testing using that transportConfig file, I'd like to hook you up via email so I can gather additional data from you, to make sure we make the most of this.

Cheers.
--
Jonas

Oh, and I am connecting through a hub. I will test it directly as well.[/quote][/quote]
RCampbell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same issue with my Bold: device drive and medai card both show up in Explorer but Media Sync won't connect.

I'm having the same issue with the BBerry media sync program as well. It worked great right out of the box (the RIM sync app), synced all of my iTunes playlists, and on trying to connect again a week later it won't connect, despite the Desktop and Device Manager applications registering the device as connected.

I installed SP1 for Vista in the interm, any chance that is causing the problems?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. A couple of questions:

- Are you using version 1.0.1 of Salling Media Sync?
- As long as you stick the transportConfig file in the "root" as seen by Explorer, you should be fine.
- Are you 100% sure the device is connected in mass storage mode, and not some mode that utilizes som RIM software on your PC?

We may have to continue this trouble-shooting off-line, but please get back to me with respect to the questions above.

Much appreciated!

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="BaRTiMuS"]Unfortunately, the file did not help. I put it in the root of both drives with no luck.

I am just not sure if the directory that is shown to my in "my computer" is actually the root of each drive or if its just what the device chooses to show me. Because I don't really see any system files anywhere.

email: bortimusAThotmailDOTcom

[quote="salling"]I'm fairly confident this is a USB product ID thing. If you stick the transportConfig file onto the storage, it should make Media Sync accept the storage anyways.

Cheers.
--
Jonas

Oh, and I am connecting through a hub. I will test it directly as well.[/quote][/quote][/quote]
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try the transportConfig tip I hinted to above?

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="RCampbell"]I'm having the same issue with my Bold: device drive and medai card both show up in Explorer but Media Sync won't connect.

I'm having the same issue with the BBerry media sync program as well. It worked great right out of the box (the RIM sync app), synced all of my iTunes playlists, and on trying to connect again a week later it won't connect, despite the Desktop and Device Manager applications registering the device as connected.

I installed SP1 for Vista in the interm, any chance that is causing the problems?[/quote]
BaRTiMuS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutely no RIM software on my home computer.

All I have installed is the Device Driver to enable usb charging and mass storage mode. I work in the IT field so I can assure you everything is done the way you have asked.

I have put the config file into the root directory of both drives that show up in explorer. The program will not recognize the phone.

I am using Salling Media Sync version 1.0.1.358

Would having the config file in BOTH drives be an issue?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's continue this via email. I'll report back here if we come to a conclusion.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="BaRTiMuS"]I have absolutely no RIM software on my home computer.

All I have installed is the Device Driver to enable usb charging and mass storage mode. I work in the IT field so I can assure you everything is done the way you have asked.

I have put the config file into the root directory of both drives that show up in explorer. The program will not recognize the phone.

I am using Salling Media Sync version 1.0.1.358

Would having the config file in BOTH drives be an issue?[/quote]
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now tested this in 1.0.2, and it works reasonably well. Ideally, I'd like only the external memory card to mount in Salling Media Sync (and this is something I'm working on). But you BlackBerry Bold users should now be able to use the application in an "unofficial" capacity at least. Transfer rates appear very good, and album artwork and playlists sync fine in my testing.

If, under Windows, your phone mounts in Explorer but not in Media Sync, try restarting Salling Media Sync. There's something about the Bold that prevents the proper mount events to be sent (I'm investigating this).

Best.
--
Jonas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: