FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

**the iphone/ ipod touch poll**
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masterbaron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: **the iphone/ ipod touch poll** Reply with quote

ok - jonas is fine... i see he has responded to a post which can only mean one of a thousand things.

A - jonas is still beholding to the apple nda and cannot say a thing based on some new aspect with the iphone/touch in september - so the less said the better i guess.

B - there are more and more choices with regards to remote-ing the mac functionality programs like apple remote, iRed2, icontrol, i love control and of course web interfaces that use AJAX and skins like ipeng for slimserver on the iphone/touch. Jonas removed slimserver/squeezecenter support a while back. Perhaps the end is near ...

c - he's building suspense as they finish off the new release of salling clicker that will smoke the competition - hopeful i know...

i'm sure there are many other possibilities - what do you think??
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: **the iphone/ ipod touch poll** Reply with quote

Hey,

Sometimes "no answer" means just that... ;-)

I plan on posting a more comprehensive response on the blog at some point, but there are several reasons why I think Salling Clicker on iPhone would not be a great product (for you, or for me) at this point, at least.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="masterbaron"]ok - jonas is fine... i see he has responded to a post which can only mean one of a thousand things.

A - jonas is still beholding to the apple nda and cannot say a thing based on some new aspect with the iphone/touch in september - so the less said the better i guess.

B - there are more and more choices with regards to remote-ing the mac functionality programs like apple remote, iRed2, icontrol, i love control and of course web interfaces that use AJAX and skins like ipeng for slimserver on the iphone/touch. Jonas removed slimserver/squeezecenter support a while back. Perhaps the end is near ...

c - he's building suspense as they finish off the new release of salling clicker that will smoke the competition - hopeful i know...

i'm sure there are many other possibilities - what do you think??[/quote]
masterbaron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: thank you... Reply with quote

thanks for the response jonas. i'm sure many have been waiting for some indication of sc's future applications. i personally can't wait to hear your feedback looking forward.

i'm sure you have excellent reasons for passing on the apple store and perhaps some important technology issues that we all need to consider.

thanks for your wonderful support and a product that has pleased many!!
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: thank you... Reply with quote

Ah, and thanks for your concern about my well-being. I can assure you I'm fine! :-)

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="masterbaron"]thanks for the response jonas. i'm sure many have been waiting for some indication of sc's future applications. i personally can't wait to hear your feedback looking forward.

i'm sure you have excellent reasons for passing on the apple store and perhaps some important technology issues that we all need to consider.

thanks for your wonderful support and a product that has pleased many!![/quote]
masterbaron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: a question ... Reply with quote

it seems sc is the only interface that uses bluetooth and applescript for remote connectivity that being said accessing functionalities via a web interface injects a mean delay as a result of calling a web page and the subsequent loading of that page - making fine or quick adjustments becomes virtually impossible.

the question - since there may not be a iphone module for sc ... is there any way to improve the response when using a browser interface?

thanks jonas
jofo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With ajax-type stuff, page loading shouldn't be a problem. Even still, apple's Remote app looks like it's a good start. I'm curious to see what Jonas has to say about the whole thing. :)
Wooden Brain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: my 1 cent Reply with quote

Hello all, and Jonas... long time, eh?

FWIW, I came by here idly after getting an iPhone 3G, wondering if anything was in the works.

Although I'm disappointed it doesn't seem like there is, I'm not at all surprised. It would be a ton of work to support the iPhone with little pay off. Apple's own Remote application is pretty slick and basically functional.

I'll miss the customizability of SC and my own WBC controller, though! But it seems that's the way of the iPhone -- sacrifice a lot of advanced functionality for some locked down out of the box slickness.

So my Palm TX will probably eventually turn into little more than a dedicated remote control!
Pale Rider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Apple Remote is No Clicker....And Neither is Anything Else Reply with quote

Likewise, I have not posted in quite a while, and similarly, I stopped by hoping for some positive news on the iPhone front. But I have a different view.

If all you do is play music, then Apple's Remote is certainly all one needs, and is actually quite a nice app. But I used Clicker on my Sony-Ericsson, Siemens, and Nokia phones to actually control my Macs, especially during Keynote presentations. Always a killer. The functionality was superb; the gee-whiz was icing on the cake.

The current crowd on the App Store offers several choices for this functionality, and they all seem flawed to me in one way or another [I have paid for five of them]. The decent ones all rely on WiFi and some sort of open or computer-to-computer network, and a running server applet on the Mac. Of this crowd, Pointer is my current favorite, and I have even gotten the hang of its laser-pointer surrogate Still, it's no Clicker. I understand some of the challenges here, but the lack of a clean, straightforward Bluetooth option for a device as phenomenal as the iPhone seems a real shame. Is it a ton of work? I don't know; perhaps it is more work than there is time available given the other Salling products. That could make sense. But little payoff? Really? App Store stats would suggest otherwise, and the very presence of the crowd suggests otherwise.

I would happily pay for another Clicker license on my iPhone just to get that Bluetooth option, and I suspect that anyone who has used Clicker for running presentations would feel the same way.
Lenroc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. There is not a single offering in the App Store that matches even closely to Clicker. Clicker is truly unique, and I have been using it for many years now. I am a bit of a gadget freak and love to use my phone with many types of applications that somehow connect to my Mac. I am constantly downloading demos of software claiming to make things easier, better etc.
The most obvious power usage is from Clicker. I have tried many other remote program that just don't compete. The only other Bluetooth software that really adds value is BluePhoneElite. I also use the Nokia Media Sync for transferring photos to iPhoto. I have not upgraded my Nokia N73 to the iPhone purely for this reason. Bring Clicker and BPE to the iPhone and I'm there!
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Pale Rider:

I'd like to write a longer blog post about this, but here are some facts:

1. There is absolutely no way I'd be able to access the Bluetooth functionality on the iPhone. I think Bluetooth connectivity is pretty much a requirement for the app to be useful for presentation control (few users know the ins and outs of creating an ad-hoc wifi network).

2. There's absolutely no guarantee a Clicker client for the iPhone would be allowed into the AppStore.

Best.
--
Jonas
Pale Rider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas:

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense that lack of Bluetooth programming access would be a huge difficulty and impairment, precisely because, as I noted, the absence of BT functionality is one of the disadvantages of the Remote programs that are available. I agree that as soon as you go down the path of requiring WiFi, or an ad hoc network, you've already lost some of that elegant simplicity that makes using the phone as a remote control worthwhile. For me, having begun doing it, I am now in the habit. Much more reliable than hoping some credentials for a conference hall WiFi will work and not be overburdened by traffic.

I guess #2 is always a risk, though perhaps I should read more into your comment. Given all the other Remote apps, I cannot imagine rejection of Clicker unless you found some way to overcome problem #1, and thereby risked Apple's dissatisfaction. If that is the case, I guess that makes sense, too.

Thanks again for the reply. I guess I could take back my Nokia from my 12yo and keep using SC that way. ;-)
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solving #1 would take #2 to the "definite fact" level. Apps aren't allowed into the AppStore if they try to use unpublished APIs.

Also note that the AppStore listing could be revoked at any time, for any reason.

I'm not saying I'll never do this. Now just doesn't seem like the best time to take the risk, considering we wouldn't be able to use Bluetooth.

Best.
--
Jonas
Pale Rider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. Thanks again for the quick replies.
hht311

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: WiFi & Bluetooth Reply with quote

I would like to comment just about WiFi.
Bluetooth is fine for some. But, there are those of us who need longer range than most Bluetooth devices provide, which is Classes 1 & 2 Bluetooth. There are darn few devices that has Class 1 Bluetooth.
Therefore ability to also connect using WiFi is a Blessing for those of us that need the longer range that WiFi provides.
Omega

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: iPhone client for competent users Reply with quote

So I understand that an iPhone client has not been made, primarily because of complications related to lack of user competence (difficulties related to creating an ad-hoc wireless network) and of course the app-store.

Well, Salling Clicker fills more roles than just a presentation tool - it is a wonderful tool for media control, opening applications, performing different tasks like opening files, changing settings and more. Why, if it can be written in an applescript, it can be done in Salling Clicker! It is a FANTASTIC application for so many reasons, and as I am about to transition to an iPhone myself I really will miss it dreadfully. Apple's remote app is not half as good, and there are other remote control apps in the app-store that are incredibly inferior to Salling Clicker. Therefore I have a request to make of söta bror Salling:

If it would be possible to make an iPhone app and distributing it either through the app-store so that competent users like myself can use it on presentations and as a media remote on our macs or PCs it would be awesome. If there is a problem, maybe it could be distributed as a third party app through the less known channels, (the different installer apps available on jailbroken iphones) so that competent users like myself can download it and install it on an iPhone and use it. Using such channels would eliminate the users with competence issues anyway.

And of course, if you do wish to distribute it through App-Store I would be only happy to assist in making a step-by-step guide on how to set up ad-hoc wireless networks on both macs and Windows-based PCs. I have five years experience as an IT consultant, working primarily on first-line support, so I know about users with special needs for guidance. I have access to XP and Mac OS X 10.5 per now. I can get access to Vista and 10.4 if you wish. As I am a student I also have some time on my hands this summer and on following vacations. I'd be happy to help for free if you need any help at all. If you want my CV and references, I'll provide them.
The primary reason for offering my help is of course to show that I - and many other users, I'm sure, would love an iPhone app to remote control our computers, and to get that I am really willing to offer quite a few man-hours of work for free.

-From across your western borders (in Norway), Omega.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Mac All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: