FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Sync fails near to the end

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick4275

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Sync fails near to the end Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just loaded Media Sync for the first time - seems like a great little product !.

Just one issue. Towards the end of the sync I get a failure message (log pasted below) - Most of my tunes have synced to my phone and they play fine. My wife has the same phone and the same error occurs on that too.

My setup is an HP notebook running Vista Business and Nokia N95 8Gb. There is plenty of space on the phones. I am syncing about 400 songs. The error always occurs very near the end of the sync

Thanks in advance !

Here is the error log
*** SYNC STARTED : 28/09/2008 15:53:11
Error - Error when copying "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker (ABC Single Version)"
Exception from HRESULT: 0x802A0006
*** SYNC STARTED : 28/09/2008 16:56:28
Error - Error when copying "Hold Your Head Up"
The semaphore timeout period has expired. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070079)
*** SYNC STARTED : 28/09/2008 19:16:21
Error - Error when copying "Homecoming / The Death Of St. Jimmy / East 12th St. / Nobody Likes You / Rock And Roll Girlfriend / We're Coming Home Again"
The semaphore timeout period has expired. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070079)
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My feeling is that there's a failure condition happening on the phone (causing a timeout in the system layers on your computer, which is then reported back to the application).

How would I go about trying to reproduce this problem?

Does it happen on smaller syncs too? Did you try restarting your phone? Is your phone's firmware up-to-date?

When this error has happened, how much free space is available on your phone's memory?

Best.
--
Jonas
nick4275

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

To answer your questions...

To recreate the problem just plug in N95 and try to sync a 400 stong itunes library error occurs right at then end of the sync

Just tried a smaller sync and it worked fine.

Tried restarting phone full sync still wouldn't work

Phone firmware is up to date

N95 has over 6Gb of free space prior to sync

Hope that helps

Thanks
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back with my test results.

Yes, I'm seeing this too, in Windows XP SP3 with a Nokia E71.

What seems to be happening is that the "MTP responder" in the phone locks up, causing a timeout in the system software on your computer. Which then gets reported back to our application.

The work-around, as I've found it, is to re-plug the device and click Sync again. This will pick up where it was left off (if the software is registered). Another work-around, as you mentioned, is to try and not sync so much at the same time.

I'm hoping Nokia will provide a fix for this in a firmware update. You should be able to make the same thing happen by copying a large number of files using Windows Media Player or Windows Explorer.

EDIT: Interestingly, I'm not seeing this problem on the Mac (at least not after first formatting the memory card). There could be many reasons for this, but I do know that Windows' MTP is poking around a whole lot more than we do on the Mac, and this might put extra stress on the phone. I'll do more testing to see if I can come up with something.

Best.
--
Jonas
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again. I've run additional tests on a Nokia N78, without seeing this problem.

Of the devices I have, the N78 is the Nokia S60 device with the most recent firmware on it, so chances are Nokia knows about this issue, and has taken care of it in more recent phones (here's to hoping the fix will also be made available for older phones).

Best.
--
Jonas
nick4275

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Jonas,

I think I need to register !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: