FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Two-Way Sync?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
honeybunny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Two-Way Sync? Reply with quote

I have registered the product. I thought that with the registered product, iTunes would be aware of what I had listened to. However this doesn't seem to be the case. Is there anything I can do to enable this feature, or are there plans to implement it in the future? Most of my smart playlists in iTunes are based on how often or how recently I have listened to a track. I would love this feature and would pay extra for it, if it doesn't already exist somehow!

I'm on a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, with MediaSync 1.0.2.428 running on Vista.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Two-Way Sync? Reply with quote

Hi,

Back-sync of certain metadata (such as play count) is on the road-map for future versions.

The Nokia devices I have tested, though, do not support play count metadata. Not sure about the 5800, however.

How's the 5800 working for you (just curious)? What kind of transfer speeds are you seeing?

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="honeybunny"]I have registered the product. I thought that with the registered product, iTunes would be aware of what I had listened to. However this doesn't seem to be the case. Is there anything I can do to enable this feature, or are there plans to implement it in the future? Most of my smart playlists in iTunes are based on how often or how recently I have listened to a track. I would love this feature and would pay extra for it, if it doesn't already exist somehow!

I'm on a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, with MediaSync 1.0.2.428 running on Vista.[/quote]
honeybunny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was terrible the first time, it took something like 45 minutes to sync about 6GB of music. Incremental syncing is a lot faster of course. I will sync today and let you know the throughput I am getting.

I wish you could just use Mass Storage mode, I think it would be a lot faster!
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of no reason why mass storage mode would be any faster in transfer rate. I'm really hoping Nokia ups the transfer speed of their USB bus with devices like the upcoming N97 which ships with quite a lot of memory built in.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="honeybunny"]It was terrible the first time, it took something like 45 minutes to sync about 6GB of music. Incremental syncing is a lot faster of course. I will sync today and let you know the throughput I am getting.

I wish you could just use Mass Storage mode, I think it would be a lot faster![/quote]
honeybunny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 600-700K/sec according to the display. It is widely variable.

Sorry for the confusion about the Media Transfer mode. I had heard it was slower, I have no data to back it up.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that would make it substantially faster would be the use of a separate card reader. But there are disadvantages to this as well (the phone would need to scan the whole storage for new media when you put it back, and there's no way to sync updates in track metadata to the phone).

The fastest device I've seen with Media Transfer mode support is a Sony Walkman MP3 player (about 3MB/s, which isn't too shoddy). The Sony Ericsson phones have also become pretty fast (approx 2MB/s) in their latest incarnations.

The S60 devices have hovered at about 600-700KB/s since the N95. I asked you for your experience as I was hoping for an improvement with the 5800.

For what it's worth, file transfer in PC Suite mode on the Nokia is similar in speed.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="honeybunny"]Around 600-700K/sec according to the display. It is widely variable.

Sorry for the confusion about the Media Transfer mode. I had heard it was slower, I have no data to back it up.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: