FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Blackberry Support for Salling Clicker!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaRTiMuS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Blackberry Support for Salling Clicker! Reply with quote

I hate to beat a dead horse over here but isn't it about time for some blackberry support?

There have been a number of posts requesting it. Responses have varied from issues with the blackberry java software, to the fact that RIM does not have a big enough market share to put the work into it.

Time has passed and things have changed. Recently, RIM has taken over Windows Mobile in smartphone world market share, second only to Symbian.

http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/09/smartphone-mark.html

Isn't it about time we get some Blackberry suppport?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Blackberry Support for Salling Clicker! Reply with quote

It's definitely something I want to do, and I agree it's become a more relevant platform. One obstacle is that I cannot just go out and buy a current set of RIM devices here (they all appear to be sold with plans/contracts, and the latest models are not readily available).

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="BaRTiMuS"]I hate to beat a dead horse over here but isn't it about time for some blackberry support?

There have been a number of posts requesting it. Responses have varied from issues with the blackberry java software, to the fact that RIM does not have a big enough market share to put the work into it.

Time has passed and things have changed. Recently, RIM has taken over Windows Mobile in smartphone world market share, second only to Symbian.

http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/09/smartphone-mark.html

Isn't it about time we get some Blackberry suppport?[/quote]
Mookfoof

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I've just put the Sony Ericsson 'version' of Salling Clicker onto my BlackBerry Curve 8310 and have managed to get it to do 'things' as in I've had it open VLC and navigated menus and stuff, which surprised me since I thought Salling Clicker was not supposed to work at all? The thing I have noticed however about using it on the BlackBerry is that the 'Select' and 'Exit' keys do not work since the BlackBerry does not actually have these keys. As far as I can see, the 'back' button on the BlackBerry could be used for the 'exit' function and the BlackBerry key could be used for the menu function? The trackball on my BlackBerry works for scrolling through and selecting things in the actual menus.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds about right. In order to get the UI we want (softkeys and such), we'd need a custom UI layer, using specialized RIM Java APIs.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="Mookfoof"]Ok so I've just put the Sony Ericsson 'version' of Salling Clicker onto my BlackBerry Curve 8310 and have managed to get it to do 'things' as in I've had it open VLC and navigated menus and stuff, which surprised me since I thought Salling Clicker was not supposed to work at all? The thing I have noticed however about using it on the BlackBerry is that the 'Select' and 'Exit' keys do not work since the BlackBerry does not actually have these keys. As far as I can see, the 'back' button on the BlackBerry could be used for the 'exit' function and the BlackBerry key could be used for the menu function? The trackball on my BlackBerry works for scrolling through and selecting things in the actual menus.[/quote]
beast644

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Lets make this happen! Reply with quote

I would love to see this for blackberry. I used Salling Clicker back in the day with my Motorola flip phone. I cant believe there aren't ANY remote application for the BB and i fell like the work necessary to make this work with Salling and BB is minimal (UI work). I might be able to get my hands on a BB Pearl for your testing (although it will be CDMA which shouldn't matter). I have a 8310 and im looking to move up to a Bold or Storm sometime in the next few months.

i know that there will be thousands of paying customers if this goes live :)

I also cont know of any real competition, I would love to be able to use my BB to controll both my Vista PC and my Mac!

let me know if there is anything I can do to help. im sure we can find someone with a spare device laying around that would loan it out for testing and development in exchange for a free license or two :)
miguel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need to purchase a blackberry in order to develop and test apps on it - you can download development kits and device simulators for any blackberry out there.

I would suggest that you start with the 8310 (curve) and 9000 (bold)

The Bold has wifi embedded and has just been released by at&t and has been out in Canada since July ; the 8310 has been around for about a year and is enormously popular.

Here is the link to access the development tools:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/browserdev/devtoolsdownloads.jsp
beast644

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: So how do we make this happen? Reply with quote

I would really love to see this get off the ground!

Im looking to upgrade from my 8310 to a Bold (9000) in the next couple weeks.

I would love to hear something from the Salling Dev Team

Please let us know if there is anything we can do to get the ball rolling!
blaney

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Any other versions work? Reply with quote

Has anybody else tested any of the other Salling Clicker versions that may work as well or better than the SE version? I'm a Salling Loyalist and would pay good money for this functionality for the BB Pearl.

[quote="Mookfoof"]Ok so I've just put the Sony Ericsson 'version' of Salling Clicker onto my BlackBerry Curve 8310 and have managed to get it to do 'things' as in I've had it open VLC and navigated menus and stuff, which surprised me since I thought Salling Clicker was not supposed to work at all? The thing I have noticed however about using it on the BlackBerry is that the 'Select' and 'Exit' keys do not work since the BlackBerry does not actually have these keys. As far as I can see, the 'back' button on the BlackBerry could be used for the 'exit' function and the BlackBerry key could be used for the menu function? The trackball on my BlackBerry works for scrolling through and selecting things in the actual menus.[/quote]
texaschangas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 8350I Blackberry and I also install the SE version. But not having the menu or back key is a pain. I also cannot "next track, last track, FF or rewind but as a work around I can get to the playlist and select tracks that way. It seems so close. I had S.C. on my palm and it rocked. Is there a way to remap the keys in the SE version or is there a script to map your own keys. I come to this forum a few times a week hoping for some type of up date. I wish I had the know how. Is it a S.C. problem or RIM?
Great product keep it up.
blaney

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Other developers out there? Reply with quote

Hi Jonas, With all the people that want this app for BlackBerry, is it possible that someone out there could help develop it for you? Can you provide access to the code and instructions? I am not a developer, but maybe someone out there would work on it for a cut of the revenue.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The problem is that most of the "interesting" keys on the BlackBerry are only available if proprietary (but open) RIM APIs are used, which they are not in the currently downloadable client.

I really, really hope I'll be able to get to this.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="texaschangas"]I have a 8350I Blackberry and I also install the SE version. But not having the menu or back key is a pain. I also cannot "next track, last track, FF or rewind but as a work around I can get to the playlist and select tracks that way. It seems so close. I had S.C. on my palm and it rocked. Is there a way to remap the keys in the SE version or is there a script to map your own keys. I come to this forum a few times a week hoping for some type of up date. I wish I had the know how. Is it a S.C. problem or RIM?
Great product keep it up.[/quote]
texaschangas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaney,
Do you use this on your phone. If so what functions do you have.
I use the file explorer to queue up songs but I need to exit the app and then start it up again to access the playlist, kinda a pain but still worth it.
blaney

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Open letter to BlackBerry Reply with quote

Jonas, Who can we all write letters to in order to get them to include the API in their package? We'll send a mass email, letters, etc. to flood them with requests. It would behoove them to make it as easy as possible for developers to build useful apps. Especially given the new Apple "Apps" commercials that are flooding the airways. -BL
blaney

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: I don't use an app...yet. Reply with quote

No, I don't use this on my phone. If I could find something that works halfway decently I would use it. -BL

[quote="texaschangas"]Blaney,
Do you use this on your phone. If so what functions do you have.
I use the file explorer to queue up songs but I need to exit the app and then start it up again to access the playlist, kinda a pain but still worth it.[/quote]
DK75

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Blackberry Support Reply with quote

Hi Jonas,

I too would like to throw my support behind this effort. I know this post is slightly old however, I have recently come across your product through a friend of mine and it is simply sensational. i got so excited I decided to get it straight away but then I have since been shattered to find no BB support. There is currently no product on the market like this for blackberry and BB has continued to increase market share. This is could be an untapped gold mine for you given you could have a monopoly. The curve has recently outsold the iPhone. Please see what you can do as I am sure there is many a BB user who would be happy to part with their hard earned for such a good product.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: