FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Missing iTunes Playlists

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
famwrkten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Missing iTunes Playlists Reply with quote

Hi, I love this product, and look forward to using it.

I have a problem with Media Sync not recognizing all my iTunes playlists. Specifically, I have 21 playlists, but Media Sync only "sees" 17 of them. I don't see a pattern in the missing 3 playlists - some are "smart" playlists, some are playlists I created. Some were created long ago, some just today.

I tried re-starting both iTunes and Media Sync, but the problem persists. Thanks in advance for any help!
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing iTunes Playlists Reply with quote

Hi,

I can think of two things here:

1. You have multiple iTunes libraries, and Media Sync picks one that you stopped using a while back.

2. I'm sorry to bring this up, but here we go: the list of playlists may need to be scrolled in order for all playlists to show.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="famwrkten"]Hi, I love this product, and look forward to using it.

I have a problem with Media Sync not recognizing all my iTunes playlists. Specifically, I have 21 playlists, but Media Sync only "sees" 17 of them. I don't see a pattern in the missing 3 playlists - some are "smart" playlists, some are playlists I created. Some were created long ago, some just today.

I tried re-starting both iTunes and Media Sync, but the problem persists. Thanks in advance for any help![/quote]
famwrkten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Old iTunes Library? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I understand you have to ask the basic questions, but yes I scrolled the list of playlists.

I'll bet I have two iTunes libraries, since I had to move all our music to a new computer a year ago when our old computer's mother board failed. I wasn't aware I had two libraries, since it's not obvious to me when I use iTunes. How can I tell for sure? And better yet, how can I work around this problem?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Old iTunes Library? Reply with quote

No problem. Please check this file (root location differs somewhat depending on whether you're using Vista or XP:

..\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml

What's the modification date of this file? Does it correspond to your last use of iTunes, or is it way old?

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="famwrkten"]Thanks for the reply.

I understand you have to ask the basic questions, but yes I scrolled the list of playlists.

I'll bet I have two iTunes libraries, since I had to move all our music to a new computer a year ago when our old computer's mother board failed. I wasn't aware I had two libraries, since it's not obvious to me when I use iTunes. How can I tell for sure? And better yet, how can I work around this problem?[/quote]
famwrkten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: It's old Reply with quote

Thanks again for the reply.

I checked the file, and it is way old - dates back to Oct-2008 even though we use itunes all the time.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: It's old Reply with quote

That means the file iTunes' currently using resides somewhere else. Please see this for a solution:

http://www.salling.com/MediaSync/windows/faq/topic.php?id=10

You should be able to see where the current file is from iTunes' preferences.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="famwrkten"]Thanks again for the reply.

I checked the file, and it is way old - dates back to Oct-2008 even though we use itunes all the time.[/quote]
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am, by the way, going to fix this; so that we can find the current library at non standard locations automatically.

Best.
--
Jonas
famwrkten

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Thank You! Reply with quote

Jonas, many thanks, this worked like a charm. For the record, the XML file that my iTunes is using is at ...\music\itunes\previous itunes libraries.

Once I moved the old XML file out of the way, Media Sync asked for the location of the file. I pointed it to the current version, and everything works like a charm. I synced with my WinMo device, and I'm good to go!

I must have read 20 articles on how itunes databases work, when the answer was on your site all along.

Thanks again.....
Thorsten

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Solution did not help me :-( Reply with quote

Hi Jonas,

I read your reply as I have the exact same problem and did change the location of the library to a NAS some time ago.

I have created a new playlist today but it is not showing in the sync list. I have deleted the .xml file (I actually deleted the entire default itunes folder) but it did not help. I do not have the option of changing the library location within media sync.

Kind regards
Thorsten
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Solution did not help me :-( Reply with quote

Removing the correct file will let you fix the problem, promise. I also suggest you restart Media Sync after removing the file. Are you sure you deleted the correct file?

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="Thorsten"]Hi Jonas,

I read your reply as I have the exact same problem and did change the location of the library to a NAS some time ago.

I have created a new playlist today but it is not showing in the sync list. I have deleted the .xml file (I actually deleted the entire default itunes folder) but it did not help. I do not have the option of changing the library location within media sync.

Kind regards
Thorsten[/quote]
Thorsten

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked. I found the file on the network drive :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: