FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Apple Lossless --supported on Pre, but not by Media Sync?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azkansei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Apple Lossless --supported on Pre, but not by Media Sync? Reply with quote

I saw this mentioned in a SE discussion: "We also won't sync tracks whose source files are not accessible, or tracks using audio codecs the phone won't know how to deal with (such as Apple Lossless)."

Ok, so what if I have a phone that _does_ support Apple Lossless, i.e. the webOS Palm Pre? After Apple closed the door on the Pre's iPod emulation for native syncing, I went looking for alternatives.

I checked the open source and free iTuneMyWalkman, and it was crap. Just a checkbox for syncing podcasts, so it would sync every episode of every podcast I've ever downloaded. Not terrible useful.

There's Missing Sync for Pre as well, but it's overkill.. I just need a media sync, hence trying Salling Media Sync. I love everything about it, the only thing stopping me from paying for it is that it won't sync Apple Lossless .m4a files. As such, when I sync my Pre, all it syncs is podcasts (which it handles quite well, better than the native iTunes syncing).

I tried poking around in the app package to see if there was a plist to edit to allow sync of lossless music, but my admittedly quick search didn't come up with anything.

any help?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Lossless --supported on Pre, but not by Media Sync Reply with quote

That's great. We should be able to fix that. Could you please send me an email, so I can have your help in testing this out?

EDIT: I've fixed this now. Ping me and I'll send you the bits, so you can try it out.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="azkansei"]I saw this mentioned in a SE discussion: "We also won't sync tracks whose source files are not accessible, or tracks using audio codecs the phone won't know how to deal with (such as Apple Lossless)."

Ok, so what if I have a phone that _does_ support Apple Lossless, i.e. the webOS Palm Pre? After Apple closed the door on the Pre's iPod emulation for native syncing, I went looking for alternatives.

I checked the open source and free iTuneMyWalkman, and it was crap. Just a checkbox for syncing podcasts, so it would sync every episode of every podcast I've ever downloaded. Not terrible useful.

There's Missing Sync for Pre as well, but it's overkill.. I just need a media sync, hence trying Salling Media Sync. I love everything about it, the only thing stopping me from paying for it is that it won't sync Apple Lossless .m4a files. As such, when I sync my Pre, all it syncs is podcasts (which it handles quite well, better than the native iTunes syncing).

I tried poking around in the app package to see if there was a plist to edit to allow sync of lossless music, but my admittedly quick search didn't come up with anything.

any help?[/quote]
azkansei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, just sent you an email regarding testing it out.
alanh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Still now lossless content on my Pre.... Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm running Salling 1.1.3 on OSX 10.5.8 with a Palm Pre running 1.1. I have a playlist that has both .MP3 and Apple Lossless content in it. However, the Lossless songs do not get copied over to my Pre. I tried removing the playlist in question from my "sync this" list, but to no avail.

Is there any way to force a registered copy of Salling to do a complete re-sync?

Also, is there any way to have it update the played/unplayed status or Playcount of podcasts or music on my Mac's iTunes?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Still now lossless content on my Pre.... Reply with quote

You'd need to resync the full playlist, as the ALAC tracks have been marked as "unsyncable" by the old version. Uncheck the playlist, sync, check the playlist, then sync.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="alanh"]Hey all,

I'm running Salling 1.1.3 on OSX 10.5.8 with a Palm Pre running 1.1. I have a playlist that has both .MP3 and Apple Lossless content in it. However, the Lossless songs do not get copied over to my Pre. I tried removing the playlist in question from my "sync this" list, but to no avail.

Is there any way to force a registered copy of Salling to do a complete re-sync?

Also, is there any way to have it update the played/unplayed status or Playcount of podcasts or music on my Mac's iTunes?[/quote]
alanh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, I thought I'd tried that already, but apparently I hadn't. My ALAC content is now on my Pre....

What about the second question? Is it possible to have Salling recognize when a podcast has been played on my Pre and mark it as such on iTunes?

-a
alanh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Still not working right.... Reply with quote

So I unchecked my content, synced, rechecked it, and synced again. Now I ONLY have the lossless content on my Pre from that playlist, and no amount of unchecking/syncing/rechecking seems to fix the issue.

I.e. in iTunes, the playlist shows "124 songs, 9 hours, 984 MB" However, on Palm's music app, I only see 32 songs in the playlist and virtually all of them are from the only group I ripped exclusively in ALAC.

I even took the step of unchecking ALL of my content and adding back the playlists, but to no avail.

I'm running OSX 10.5.8, iTunes 8.2.1, Pre WebOS 1.1, and Salling Media Sync 1.1.3 (217).

-alan
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Still not working right.... Reply with quote

Can you confirm whether the expected number of tracks are on the phone? I.e. whether they're just not showing in the playlist?

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="alanh"]So I unchecked my content, synced, rechecked it, and synced again. Now I ONLY have the lossless content on my Pre from that playlist, and no amount of unchecking/syncing/rechecking seems to fix the issue.

I.e. in iTunes, the playlist shows "124 songs, 9 hours, 984 MB" However, on Palm's music app, I only see 32 songs in the playlist and virtually all of them are from the only group I ripped exclusively in ALAC.

I even took the step of unchecking ALL of my content and adding back the playlists, but to no avail.

I'm running OSX 10.5.8, iTunes 8.2.1, Pre WebOS 1.1, and Salling Media Sync 1.1.3 (217).

-alan[/quote]
alanh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Not in the playlist.... Reply with quote

Well, it appears that the content is indeed on the device, but not listed in the Playlist. I can find the content by drilling down into the artists or by looking in the file system when attached to the computer.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Not in the playlist.... Reply with quote

If you inspected the m3u file we uploaded to the Playlists folder, you'd see that we've included all the tracks.

It has come to my attention that the Pre still has some bugs in its library updater; in particular with it's handling of playlists.

One question, though:

Did you trash the "iPod_Control" folder from your phone's storage? This may be a good idea to resolve playlist issues.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="alanh"]Well, it appears that the content is indeed on the device, but not listed in the Playlist. I can find the content by drilling down into the artists or by looking in the file system when attached to the computer.[/quote]
alanh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Not in the playlist.... Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]If you inspected the m3u file we uploaded to the Playlists folder, you'd see that we've included all the tracks.

It has come to my attention that the Pre still has some bugs in its library updater; in particular with it's handling of playlists.

One question, though:

Did you trash the "iPod_Control" folder from your phone's storage? This may be a good idea to resolve playlist issues.
[/quote]

I tried trashing the iPod_Control folder, and removing/re-adding the playlists. I see the m3u file and it looks perfect, but now I'm only getting ~ 3 entries in all but one of my playlists.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Not in the playlist.... Reply with quote

[quote="alanh"][quote="salling"]If you inspected the m3u file we uploaded to the Playlists folder, you'd see that we've included all the tracks.

One question, though:

[/quote]

I tried trashing the iPod_Control folder, and removing/re-adding the playlists. I see the m3u file and it looks perfect, but now I'm only getting ~ 3 entries in all but one of my playlists.[/quote]

I am fairly sure Palm knows about this issue, but I'd really appreciated if you, as a customer, let them know about the problem you're having.

As far as I've been able to tell, there really isn't anything more I can do on my end.

Best.
--
Jonas
alanh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Not in the playlist.... Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]
As far as I've been able to tell, there really isn't anything more I can do on my end.

Best.
--
Jonas[/quote]

Thanks for your time and efforts.

-alan
alanh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Not in the playlist.... Reply with quote

[quote="alanh"][quote="salling"]

Best.
--
Jonas[/quote]

Jonas,

The problem appears to be that the Pre's playlist is not expecting a full relative path to the music file. Rather, it looks for just the song titles.

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?board.id=webossoftware&message.id=5400#M5400
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Mac All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: