FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

How To use clicker with Blackberry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Blackberry generation do you use with the Clicker?
Tour (and newer)
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Bold
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Storm
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Curve (8330, 8320, 8310)
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Pearl
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Older generation (7xxx and older)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Caedis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: How To use clicker with Blackberry Reply with quote

I was looking for this exact type of AV bluetooth controller to use with my netbook so I dont have to have my netbook out to change songs. I have a Blackberry Curve 8330.

This guide is only a stop gap for us Blackberry users until it is officially supported in a full release. I know that the next release has support for Blackberries, but I, being a new user, could not find where these RC's are located. In any event, it's working fine on my BB in the current released version.

[b]STEP 1[/b]
First you need to download the JAD OTA for install on the device. If you go to the WAP page it will say the device isn't compatible. Open your Blackberry browser and go to Menu > Options > Browser Configuration

Make a mental note of what options were selected and deselected before changing anything. You'll probably want to set the options back to defaults after this step.

[b]Uncheck [/b]the following options to override the device check:
[list]Support Javascript
Support Embedded Media
Support Style Sheets[/list:u]

[b]STEP 2[/b]
Once the options are set, go to [url]http://salling.com/wap[/url] on your Blackberry.

Click "SallingClicker.jad"

[b]STEP 3[/b]
Download and install the app, allow it to install despite the missing signature.

[b]STEP 4[/b]
Download the Desktop portion and install it as well, close anything asking to configure the device. Blackberries aren't in the menu anyway.

[b]Run the App on your BB[/b]

I've only used this with Windows Media Player so far, here are the mappings I've found so far.

trackball click - Back/return
"Space" bar - Select/enter
"F" Menu
"V" or "D" lower volume
"U" Raise volume
Numbers 1-5 (press Alt key) - rate item 1-5 stars
"C" mute
"S" Play/Pause

Again, I know the next version is slated to have BB support, but I didn't want to wait however many weeks/months before it's released and officially supported. And being a big Linux guy I'm used to pounding on things till they work, regardless of support.

I haven't bought the full version *yet*, but I can already tell that I will be buying it, since the thing basically works already, you just gotta deal with the jacked up key-bindings.

DEVS, PLEASE SUPPORT THE BLACKBERRY SOON!
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Caedis:

Thanks for doing this write-up!

Best.
--
Jonas
jozef3d

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackberry Tour 9630

Currently the new tour 9630 is not supported in this development phase so you will need to go straight to downloading the .jad file to bypass the device checks. I tried turning off the settings mentioned above, but I was still getting the device check, so I just went straight to the download.
http://salling.com/wap/unsigned/SallingClicker.jad

Download and install the application into your blackberry.

Download and install the Desktop version. In my case, I tested this out on a Mac OSX and as mentioned above, close anything asking to configure the device since Blackberries aren't on the menu anyway.

Be sure to pair up your Blackberry Tour 9630 device with your Mac.

Run the App on your Blackberry Tour 9630
Select Connect
Note: Be sure to allow the search to finish. At first you will see "Computer" wait until "Computer" changes to the actual name of your Mac.

Note: Be sure to allow Salling Clicker access, if you accidentally click No, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the application. I tried resetting the permissions and a battery pull and still couldn't reset the permission due to accidentally clicking "No" -- so be careful and make sure you say "Yes" to allow.

I too have not bought the full version "yet", but I definitely will as soon as there is better support for the Blackberry. The application pretty much works, but needs a lot of refinement. I am limited to a certain number of clicks for the trial version, so I couldn't really do a full write up on the matter, but here are my findings as of now.

The main caveat for the software at the moment for the Blackberry Tour 9630 is the interface design.

[img]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/fidolatry/Screenshot0015.png[/img]
The Options at the bottom panel such as the "Menu" and "Back" you see in the screenshot above is inaccessible on the Blackberry Tour 9630. I tried clicking different keys to try and find a keymap for it, but I was unsuccessful. I found myself needing to Quit the application and reconnect each time I wanted to go back to a previous Menu. It would be nice to move those options into the Blackberry menu instead or be able to use the trackball to select those menu panel buttons.

iTunes opened up just fine and worked as expected, but the previous menu caveat as discussed is quite a pain.

I was also able to gain control of the Mouse Pointer and move it around, but due to the limitations of the trial version, there wasn't much I can do. The trackball movement is considered a click and a a few mouse moves ended my trial session. However I did notice that the bindings on the trackball is somewhat off. Tracking the ball downward does not work. It seems that I was only able to move the mouse pointer left, right and up.

DEVS, PLEASE SUPPORT THE BLACKBERRY SOON!
splinterfaction

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Caedis, thanks for this write up.

I have been using Clicker on various Sony Ericsson devices since 2005 but reciently took the step up to the new Blackberry Storm 2. I was dismayed by the devices apparent lack of integrated Bluetooth support and disapointed that Clicker was not compatable with Blackberry devices.

I followed your instructions and managed to get Clicker working on my Storm 2 just about fine with beta version 3.5.2v516. There are a few niggly problems with the touchscreen interface but overall it works which is great.

Thanks for your help and to Jonas for a really great app that I really can't get enough of.
Here's hoping for better touch support on the Storm soon.
pepe6859

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="splinterfaction"]Hi Caedis, thanks for this write up.

I have been using Clicker on various Sony Ericsson devices since 2005 but reciently took the step up to the new Blackberry Storm 2. I was dismayed by the devices apparent lack of integrated Bluetooth support and disapointed that Clicker was not compatable with Blackberry devices.

I followed your instructions and managed to get Clicker working on my Storm 2 just about fine with beta version 3.5.2v516. There are a few niggly problems with the touchscreen interface but overall it works which is great.

Thanks for your help and to Jonas for a really great app that I really can't get enough of.
Here's hoping for better touch support on the Storm soon.[/quote]

I used to have Clicker on my nokia N series phones and worked great on Bluetooth and WIFI (my choice). Now a got a Storm 2 (my first BB ever) and still a little lost. My home netwok with 3 airport express, but broadcast from Windows based laptops. Will this work for mi?

Thanks
spble

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to register my interest for a blackberry version as well. I have just installed it manually on my Blackberry Bold, and it seems to work via bluetooth except for the very annoying key-mappings.

I would definitely buy this application if my blackberry was supported.

I wish this was an open source project so I could do it myself!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: