FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Nokia E71- syncing in premium mode is inconsistent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indiana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Nokia E71- syncing in premium mode is inconsistent Reply with quote

Jonas, I'm still having problems in general with syncing my Nokia E71. My itunes playlists don't copy over, the songs from the playlists do but I can't select the playlists only the smart Nokia playlists.

It seems like the only time it cleanly works is when I:
-connect via mass storage
- delete the music and podcast files
- delete the mediasyncid.txt
- delete the files contained in

E:\private\101FFC31\mpxv1.mpd
E:\private\101FFC31\pcv5.mpd
E:\private\101ffca9\harvesterdb.dat

Then disconnect the cable, then I restart the phone and refresh the music library until I can see zero tracks in it. Then I reconnect the cable using media transfer and Salling Mediasync opens as if it were the first time and I do a new sync, followed by a Nokia music library refresh. If it works ok, this gives me my music and podcasts with playlists. This entire process could take 3 hours. Especially frustrating since probably what I sync overlaps each time by ca. 80% and [b][i]should [/i][/b] be as easy as plugging in and doing a quick Media Sync (the reason I paid for it).

This sometimes shows me my playlists and sometimes it doesn't. [b]If it has worked[/b], then next time I connect via media transfer to Salling Media Sync and try to add or delete new playlists or podcasts, then [b]the next sync doesn't work[/b]. Playlists now don't appear, tracks don't always copy over... so then I follow the process that I detailed above manually removing all traces of music and mediasync files from my phone.

For the record, I'm usually transferring ca. 3gb of music and podcasts, none of the playlists are more than 30 tracks long.

FWIW I have tried the msconfigs60 file you mention in an earlier post, copying it into the E:\ route directory on the memory card and connecting via mass storage. But Media Sync cannot 'see' the phone at all and I have to reconnect using media transfer mode. I have tried the media transfer using Media Sync with the file in the memory card and with it deleted. it doesn't seem to affect anything either way.

I really want this to work because what I'm doing at the moment is very slow and doesn't even guarantee my playlists. What can be done?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having. I'm pretty confident we *are* copying the stuff over, but that the phone is acting up.

You might have better luck in mass storage mode, but you're saying you cannot get this to work, and mention "msconfigs60". I don't know what "msconfigs60" is, so it's possible you're doing something not quite right.

This is how you get mass storage to work:

http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6704

Best.
--
Jonas
indiana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I don't know what "msconfigs60" is, so it's possible you're doing something not quite right. [/quote]

Ok sorry I called the file by the wrong name. I did copy this Nokia S60 MSC.transportConfig file to my phone but it does not allow me to connect to Media Sync via mass storage.

What about the playlists not copying over?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know the playlists aren't *copied* over, or are you observing that the media player on the phone doesn't show them?

Because the E-series media transfer mode is flaky (in my experience) when you start using big cards (large data sets), I suggest we try and get mass storage mode to work for you.

I just tried it here on my E71, and it works fine.

You need to make absolutely sure the copied file has the extension ".transportConfig".

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="indiana"][quote]I don't know what "msconfigs60" is, so it's possible you're doing something not quite right. [/quote]

Ok sorry I called the file by the wrong name. I did copy this Nokia S60 MSC.transportConfig file to my phone but it does not allow me to connect to Media Sync via mass storage.

What about the playlists not copying over?[/quote]
indiana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jonas, [quote="salling"]Do you know the playlists aren't *copied* over, or are you observing that the media player on the phone doesn't show them?[/quote]

I can't see them in the phone's media player. I actually don't know what playlists files look like... so I can't verify if they are indeed on the phone but just not visible to me. If you tell me where they are stored on the phone/ memory card and the file extension, I can connect via mass storage and browse for them.

[quote="salling"] I suggest we try and get mass storage mode to work for you.

You need to make absolutely sure the copied file has the extension ".transportConfig". [/quote]

I'd really like this solution. I have tried this a few times, as per your instructions, this is what I do:

- Download file to my pc, I confirm it does have the extension [i].transportconfig[/i]
- connect via mass storage
- copy and paste file into the route directory of the memory card ie memory card name\ .

FWIW the music copies to memory card name\music\mediasync and the podcasts to memory card name\podcasts

Does it matter what the memory card is called?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="indiana"]Thanks Jonas, [quote="salling"]Do you know the playlists aren't *copied* over, or are you observing that the media player on the phone doesn't show them?[/quote]

I can't see them in the phone's media player. I actually don't know what playlists files look like... so I can't verify if they are indeed on the phone but just not visible to me. If you tell me where they are stored on the phone/ memory card and the file extension, I can connect via mass storage and browse for them. [/quote]

In media transfer mode, the copied playlists aren't visible in the file system. So there's really no place where you can look for them, except for in the media player.

[quote="indiana"][quote="salling"] I suggest we try and get mass storage mode to work for you.

You need to make absolutely sure the copied file has the extension ".transportConfig". [/quote]

I'd really like this solution. I have tried this a few times, as per your instructions, this is what I do:

- Download file to my pc, I confirm it does have the extension [i].transportconfig[/i]
- connect via mass storage
- copy and paste file into the route directory of the memory card ie memory card name\ .

FWIW the music copies to memory card name\music\mediasync and the podcasts to memory card name\podcasts

Does it matter what the memory card is called?[/quote]

Doesn't matter what the card is called. Please confirm that there's no hidden additional extension to this file (like ".xml" or something like that).

Best.
--
Jonas
indiana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]Doesn't matter what the card is called. Please confirm that there's no hidden additional extension to this file (like ".xml" or something like that).[/quote]

Correct, there's no hidden file extension it's just called Nokia S60 MSC.transportConfig (Even when I unhide file extensions in the explorer folder options)

Say I want to start again.... remove all the music and media sync info to try again, am I right in deleting the files I mentioned above? Should I also delete the memory card\music\media sync [b]folder [/b](not just the contents of the media sync folder)?

Does it matter if itunes is open or closed during the media sync?

Thanks
heymikemason

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem with my e71. The sync appears to work fine, but the changed playlist won't show the new songs.

For example, I have a TOP 40 playlist which I change regularly. Whenever I remove songs and add new ones, then sync (using mass storage mode), the new songs ARE copied over, but the TOP 40 playlist doesn't show the new songs- it DOES remove the songs I removed however. So let's say I change 5 songs on the TOP 40 playlist. After the sync, the 5 new songs are indeed on my e71, but the playlist only shows 35 songs and the new ones aren't included. Sure, I can add them manually on the ohone's clunky interface if it's just a few songs, but obviously that's not why I paid for this software.

Please help us out, Salling!
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure you have the same problem, but I have noticed that some of my Nokia phones have don't properly recognize changes to playlists unless the number of tracks change (in mass storage mode, only). This is, regrettably, nothing I can do anything about, but needs to be addressed by Nokia.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="heymikemason"]I'm having the same problem with my e71. The sync appears to work fine, but the changed playlist won't show the new songs.

For example, I have a TOP 40 playlist which I change regularly. Whenever I remove songs and add new ones, then sync (using mass storage mode), the new songs ARE copied over, but the TOP 40 playlist doesn't show the new songs- it DOES remove the songs I removed however. So let's say I change 5 songs on the TOP 40 playlist. After the sync, the 5 new songs are indeed on my e71, but the playlist only shows 35 songs and the new ones aren't included. Sure, I can add them manually on the ohone's clunky interface if it's just a few songs, but obviously that's not why I paid for this software.

Please help us out, Salling![/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: