FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

N97 - Playlists not Syncing Following Firmware Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justinhcohen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: N97 - Playlists not Syncing Following Firmware Update Reply with quote

After upgrading my Nokia N97 to the latest firmware, v 20.2.019, my iTunes playlists no longer appear on my phone when I sync.

I'm using Salling Media Sync 1.1.4 (220) on a Mac.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there a fix?

Thanks for your help,
Justin
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: N97 - Playlists not Syncing Following Firmware Update Reply with quote

Hm. Did you try selecting to Update the Music library from the music player on your phone?

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="Justinhcohen"]After upgrading my Nokia N97 to the latest firmware, v 20.2.019, my iTunes playlists no longer appear on my phone when I sync.

I'm using Salling Media Sync 1.1.4 (220) on a Mac.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there a fix?

Thanks for your help,
Justin[/quote]
Justinhcohen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, updating the library worked.

Prior to upgrading the Nokia N97 firmware and prior to updating Salling Media Sync, I would connect the N97 to my Mac in "Media Transfer" mode. After the transfer was complete, the new songs and play lists would be in the library without having to run a separate library refresh.

With the new configuration, SMS will only work in Mass Storage mode, which seems linked to the new necessity to refresh the phone's music library after disconnecting.

One additional downside to using the Mass Storage mode with the N97 is that the phone automatically switches the save location for messages to the internal C drive that has extremely limited space - less than 10 MB's typically free. After disconnecting from Mass Storage mode, I always need to go into my settings and change the save location to the 32 gb drive. I believe this an issue that Nokia should resolve, not an issue with SMS, but it does mean that there are two things I need to do with my phone after every sync that I didn't need to do before:

1) Refresh the library

2) Change the save location for messages back to the 32 gb E drive.

On the bright side, syncing speed is noticeably faster.

Overall, I still love the product and am happy using it. It would just be nice if I could sync and go.

Thanks,
Justin
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. Not sure you know, but we I never officially supported the N97 (at least not yet), due to connectivity problems with Media transfer mode. Apparently, one had to connect in PC Suite mode to a PC before Media transfer mode would work (once, then PC Suite had to be used, again).

But that was with the first N97 firmware. Did Nokia manage to mess Media transfer mode up even more?

I'd love to make this work, but if the phone won't cooperate, mass storage mode it is.

Exactly what are you seeing when you connect in Media transfer mode now? I don't think you told me.

Best.
--
Jonas
Justinhcohen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jonas, I didn't realize you did not support the N97.

With the previous N97 firmware, if I did not connect in Media Transfer mode, SMS would give me a message stating that I needed to connect in Media Transfer Mode for it to work.

Now when I connect in Media Transfer Mode, the little icon at the top of the Mac screen just spins and spins but it never connects with the phone and no pop-up is displayed.

Just for kicks I tried to connect in PC Suite mode (spins but does not connect) and Image Transfer mode (does not spin and does not connect).

Even though you don't officially support the N97, the software is still very valuable to me. It quickly syncs my iTunes playlists to my N97. Although the experience isn't perfect (as mentioned in my previous post), being a Mac user, I really don't have a better option for transferring music / play lists from iTunes to my phone.

Thanks for your follow-up,
Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Mac All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: