FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Motorola Droid Lockup During Sync

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MicroNix

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Motorola Droid Lockup During Sync Reply with quote

I have just tried out the app and while it is very much what I am looking for (and would even buy the paid version to avoid re-syncing everything, everytime), it locks up on me while syncing to the Droid. Random spots it will just stop and after a lengthy timeout say that the sync failed. After this failure, the Droid's Unmount procedure will not even work and will lockup those functions until I pull the battery because it will not gracefully shutdown with that lock on the USB (hope that made sense). When I plug it back in to the USB cable after the device reboots and mount it, Windows complains that the drive pointing to that device is possibly corrupt. I reformatted the SD card and started over with the same end result.

To double check it was not my device, I went back to using doubleTwist and it sync'd all of the music (same two iTunes playlists) just fine. Now doubleTwist does tell me at the end it could not sync two songs because they were the Apple DRM type, but other than that, everything syncs without a hitch.

I'd rather use Salling Media Sync because 1) it looks like it will remove songs from my device if I uncheck a playlist, doubleTwist will not and 2) I still find iTunes to be my "organizer" of my music so doubleTwist is sort of reinventing the wheel. All I need is to be able to sync playlists and podcasts which seems to be exactly what this product is geared for.

I am running Vista x64 on Intel. Not sure what else would be needed to troubleshoot this issue.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You should get your card replaced.

I have plenty of users who've confirmed the problem in both Finder and DoubleTwist (in some cases after first insisting it works!).

This issue has an element of randomness to it, making it difficult to assess cause and effect.

Having collected a number of these support incidents over the last few weeks, however, has convinced me that replacing the SD-card is the only working remedy.

Best.
--
Jonas
Vergere

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Same Reply with quote

I am encountering the exact same problem as the original poster. I really like the application, but have tried it twice now with the same outcome. I sync my music, it gets held up part way through, and I end up with message saying it's corrupted.

After the first time, I copied everything over to the hard drive via a normal mount session, using Windows own file explorer to do it. I then reformatted the Droid SD card, then copied everything back to the Droid via Windows. This all worked great. I then added a few new music tracks to my ITunes, tried to sync again with the Salling software, and got the exact same results as my original sync. Windows now tells me I may have a corrupted device.

I'm running Windows 7.

So, file transfer seems to work via a traditional Windows transfer, but the Salling software is giving me some problems. Again, I love the application, and will pay for it if it ends up working for me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Same Reply with quote

Interesting.

What I can tell you is that there's nothing I can do different in software to make this work for you.

What I can also tell you is that I've had a lot of Mac users report this problem; and they've confirmed the issue to occur no matter what method they used to copy the files.

Haven't yet (as far as I know) had Windows users report the problem. Not sure whether that's because Mac users are more prone to contact support than Windows users (I think they may) or because the problem doesn't happen in Windows.

Still, I'd urge you do try a different card. Perhaps you have an old one in the house?

Re: the card getting corrupted. That'd indicate you didn't cleanly unmount the card. Why? Did the phone lock up?

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="Vergere"]I am encountering the exact same problem as the original poster. I really like the application, but have tried it twice now with the same outcome. I sync my music, it gets held up part way through, and I end up with message saying it's corrupted.

After the first time, I copied everything over to the hard drive via a normal mount session, using Windows own file explorer to do it. I then reformatted the Droid SD card, then copied everything back to the Droid via Windows. This all worked great. I then added a few new music tracks to my ITunes, tried to sync again with the Salling software, and got the exact same results as my original sync. Windows now tells me I may have a corrupted device.

I'm running Windows 7.

So, file transfer seems to work via a traditional Windows transfer, but the Salling software is giving me some problems. Again, I love the application, and will pay for it if it ends up working for me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.[/quote]
MicroNix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the reply, but as the other posted mentioned and me in my original post, I can copy to the Droid with other methods including direct Windows Explorer and another sync product with no problems.

Is there some kind of debug code you can inject and give me a copy to help track this down? I'd be more than happy to help because I think you've got a good product here and would very much like to use it.

Thanks
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your persistence.

I'm urging you (still) to try a different card, as I'm very confident that'll take care of the problem.

If you want to make a log file (and I'd be happy to have a look at it, despite the fact that it'll likely just show that a file copy failed) you can create a folder named "MediaSyncLogs" on your Desktop; then restart Media Sync.

Also, I suggest you open up Event Viewer in Windows. Look for System events at around the time that the sync fails.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="MicroNix"]I appreciate the reply, but as the other posted mentioned and me in my original post, I can copy to the Droid with other methods including direct Windows Explorer and another sync product with no problems.

Is there some kind of debug code you can inject and give me a copy to help track this down? I'd be more than happy to help because I think you've got a good product here and would very much like to use it.

Thanks[/quote]
thatguychuck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same issue. The random "sync lockups," with a sd card that works fine with other programs. I'm not convinced that it is an sd card issue. However, I'm not convinced it is a Salling issue either. Possibly something with Android 2.0.1 and the way it handles notifications. I've played with my droid a bit, and it can do some strange things when the sdcard is mounted.

I noticed after a few unsuccessful attempts, that the sync appeared to lock up soon after receiving a notification (SMS, email, ect.) I turned on airplane mode (No Data, No calls) for my last sync and it went just fine. I don't sync often, so it'll be a while before I proclaim myself "issue free," but if you are having troubles it's worth a shot.

Edit: NEVERMIND. Locked up again, just don't see why other programs can sync ok. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not at least try a different card? That'd give you a definitive answer.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="thatguychuck"]I'm having the same issue. The random "sync lockups," with a sd card that works fine with other programs. I'm not convinced that it is an sd card issue. However, I'm not convinced it is a Salling issue either. Possibly something with Android 2.0.1 and the way it handles notifications. I've played with my droid a bit, and it can do some strange things when the sdcard is mounted.

I noticed after a few unsuccessful attempts, that the sync appeared to lock up soon after receiving a notification (SMS, email, ect.) I turned on airplane mode (No Data, No calls) for my last sync and it went just fine. I don't sync often, so it'll be a while before I proclaim myself "issue free," but if you are having troubles it's worth a shot.

Edit: NEVERMIND. Locked up again, just don't see why other programs can sync ok. Oh well, back to the drawing board.[/quote]
thatguychuck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the prompt reply! I plan to, eventually. I just don't have the cash right now. :D

Edit: It's a little sad when my first thought is always f*$#ing Vista screwed up again.

[quote="salling"]Why not at least try a different card? That'd give you a definitive answer.

Best.
--
Jonas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: