FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Media Sync "device not detected" error.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ispiratica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Media Sync "device not detected" error. Reply with quote

I hope that I'm not rude in posting this topic that I've seen others post as well but I figured rather than refresh solved threads, I would create a new one.

I've synced once with my Omnia HD i8910 and it worked. I tried a second time and it didn't until I restarted my Mac and the phone.

The third time it won't do anything. SMS will just spin grayed out continuously and Console says that the device isn't detected but the SMS log says that the phone is detected and stops there.

I've reinstalled SMS, trashed the files on the phone, User Library Prefs folder and Application Support folder. Downloaded a new copy. Removed all my music previously synced. Reinstalled SMS files from Time Machine backups, tried all 6 USB ports, hub and straight through.

Nothing has worked. The cable is fine. I can connect by Mass Storage mode to my Mac and PC Suite to my Vista laptop. Media Transfer mode just doesn't work on the Mac.

I'd sync it to my PC but my music is on my Mac and the PC just streams it off the Mac.

Any advice is gladly awaited! Thanks.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think you might be debugging the wrong end. To me, this sounds like a phone problem.

Did you try Media transfer mode on your PC, at a time when you cannot get it to connect on your Mac?

To clarify: I want you to connect the phone to your PC using Media transfer mode. Then attempt to browse the contents of the phone's card storage in Windows Explorer.

Best.
--
Jonas
Ispiratica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jonas.

I connected it in MT mode to my PC and Windows gives the error that it can't install an MTP device. SMS just sits in the task bar and theres no activity there.

However I can browse the phone in Mass Storage mode from the PC. The Samsung phone software too is working on the PC and the firmware is the latest.

Any speculation is welcome but I suppose I can't do anything more at this point.

Thank you again.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame. But it's a good thing you were able to confirm the MTP problem in Windows, too.

My suggestion is you use this workaround to employ mass storage mode instead:

http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6704

If you could please let me know the USB vendor/product IDs when the phone is connected in mass storage mode, I can make the config file unnecessary in a future version (use System Profiler to get this information).

Best.
--
Jonas
Ispiratica

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jonas

I decided to stop using SMS and decided to move all my music onto a larger SD card rather than split between external and internal memory.

After I swapped the SD cards I decided to give SMS another chance.

Behold! SMS recognised the larger 16GB SD card but it never recognised the 8GB SD card I had before. It always saw the internal 8GB memory instead. I suppose it went for the default larger memory space to use.

It managed to sync all the music and playlists now.

Thank you and I hope I can purchase SMS soon!
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. The way this works with with MTP USB mode is we use the biggest storage. So I think what you're seeing is normal.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="Ispiratica"]Hi Jonas

I decided to stop using SMS and decided to move all my music onto a larger SD card rather than split between external and internal memory.

After I swapped the SD cards I decided to give SMS another chance.

Behold! SMS recognised the larger 16GB SD card but it never recognised the 8GB SD card I had before. It always saw the internal 8GB memory instead. I suppose it went for the default larger memory space to use.

It managed to sync all the music and playlists now.

Thank you and I hope I can purchase SMS soon![/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Mac All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: