FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Issues with Syncing Droid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mowoodsiii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Issues with Syncing Droid Reply with quote

I have recently purchased a Motorola Droid from Verizon. I bought Salling Media Sync and when I try to sync my music from my iTunes library the program will copy about 30 songs and then freeze my phone. I have to take the battery out of my phone to restart it and I have to force quit SallingMediaSync. I've talked to some Salling Customer Support representatives, who were very helpful, and informed me that the issue was not with Salling, but was in fact a problem with the Micro SD card that came with my Droid phone. They also informed me that other Salling customers have been able to obtain replacement, non-"stock" memory cards from Verizon, but I'm not sure how to go about convincing them that the card I have is faulty. Is there anyone who has dealt with this who can help me get this thing working so I can sync my droid? Any help is appreciated
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen people on twitter having luck by claiming the card doesn't work in their card reader either.

Best.
--
Jonas
newpolluter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey group: I'm not looking to start up trouble here, but honestly: I'm curious to the technical reason why my "stock" card works for every single application and in every circumstance except for with this program?

For example, here's what I've been doing since I couldn't sync with Salling. I'll take the smart playlist I've made in iTunes (10 gigs of music sorted by most recently added) drag it into toast, and burn it to a disc image. (Because of the way iTunes groups folders, I've found this more convenient than dragging everything from the Finder..for example if I have 6 albums by an artist and only want 1, or if it's a compilation, etc). Then I'll mount that image, and drag all 1500 songs onto my droid. It takes a while, and is a pain in the butt--and a Salling sync would be awesome!--BUT the "stock" card handles it just fine. Every single time. Likewise, the Android apps on my phone that write to the card (camera, Voice Recorder, etc.) all always work.

so why can't the media sync software do this? Is the Salling team still exploring possibilities, or is replacing the card really the only option?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't know why the stock card has issues for some Mac users. But I do know that people have reported the problem with other apps than just my app.

Also, please understand that I'm treating your phone as a drive. I'm asking OS X to copy files to it. There really aren't several ways of doing this. And it shouldn't matter; my software is completely isolated from the card used.

As for exploring this issue further, it's really not something I can do as the Droid is not available for me to purchase here. And even if it was, I couldn't get the Verizon stock card.

When the Motorola Milestone gets released here (same phone as the Droid, essentially), I'll make sure to test it with every SD card I have to see if I can reproduce the problem.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="newpolluter"]Hey group: I'm not looking to start up trouble here, but honestly: I'm curious to the technical reason why my "stock" card works for every single application and in every circumstance except for with this program?

For example, here's what I've been doing since I couldn't sync with Salling. I'll take the smart playlist I've made in iTunes (10 gigs of music sorted by most recently added) drag it into toast, and burn it to a disc image. (Because of the way iTunes groups folders, I've found this more convenient than dragging everything from the Finder..for example if I have 6 albums by an artist and only want 1, or if it's a compilation, etc). Then I'll mount that image, and drag all 1500 songs onto my droid. It takes a while, and is a pain in the butt--and a Salling sync would be awesome!--BUT the "stock" card handles it just fine. Every single time. Likewise, the Android apps on my phone that write to the card (camera, Voice Recorder, etc.) all always work.

so why can't the media sync software do this? Is the Salling team still exploring possibilities, or is replacing the card really the only option?[/quote]
newpolluter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply, Jonas, and for addressing my concerns. I'm just anticipating a fight with Verizon (like the above poster was), and it seemed like a kind of weird issue. Agreed, the phone is only a drive.

I'll see if replacing my card helps, and I'll continue to support indie software developers such as yourself.

-np
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally don't link to competitors from my forums, but I'll make an exception in this case, as some people seem to be under the impression that the Droid-hang issue is affecting Salling Media Sync only (it may also help you in getting Verizon to replace the card):

http://forums.doubletwist.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1533

Verizon owes you a new card, if they've promised compatibility with Mac OS X.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="newpolluter"]Thanks for the quick reply, Jonas, and for addressing my concerns. I'm just anticipating a fight with Verizon (like the above poster was), and it seemed like a kind of weird issue. Agreed, the phone is only a drive.

I'll see if replacing my card helps, and I'll continue to support indie software developers such as yourself.

-np[/quote]
ianwelles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth my Droid has killed 2 SD cards. And not just while using Salling Media Sync. They seem to be very very fussy with how they are disconnected from USB. You have to eject/unmount the disk on your computer then wait a bit before selecting unmount on the Droid then waiting for the card to be prepared and usable on the phone before finally unplugging the phone from USB.

I did fix the second card by using a windows machine and formatting as fat32 then scanning the SD card and repairing bad sectors. Disk Utility on the Mac was useless with the damaged card. Now 2 days later and a few full syncs and the card is working. *fingers crossed*
Hollen Estelrim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Folks:

I was having this same problem -- freezing and crashing after just a few songs being transfered to the Droid from iTunes. I have the December Android OS update with the stock SD card.

Then...I disabled screen timeout on my Droid and that seemed to help. No freezing until everything was copied (just couple Gigs of songs - about 350). Then, however, the Media Sync app just hung for a while and the disk info for the USB mount said it was still "Fetching". At that point I could not unmount the volume from the Mac. The GOOD news, though, is that I still had access to all menus on the Droid -- nothing frozen there. Before that, whenever the Media Sync app froze, the Droid screen went black and was inoperable...and all sort of things began to freeze on the Mac as well.

So...hard to say what's really going on here. However, obviously a problem with how the Droid communicates with the Mac.

Hope that helps.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, but I think you may just be confusing things...

The issue has a random element to it, and I'm not so sure your finding about the screen timeout will help in the long run (although, thanks for trying!)

Just get your cards replaced. You'll be happier for it. The people I know who have non-stock cards don't see any of these problems.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="Hollen Estelrim"]Hey Folks:

I was having this same problem -- freezing and crashing after just a few songs being transfered to the Droid from iTunes. I have the December Android OS update with the stock SD card.

Then...I disabled screen timeout on my Droid and that seemed to help. No freezing until everything was copied (just couple Gigs of songs - about 350). Then, however, the Media Sync app just hung for a while and the disk info for the USB mount said it was still "Fetching". At that point I could not unmount the volume from the Mac. The GOOD news, though, is that I still had access to all menus on the Droid -- nothing frozen there. Before that, whenever the Media Sync app froze, the Droid screen went black and was inoperable...and all sort of things began to freeze on the Mac as well.

So...hard to say what's really going on here. However, obviously a problem with how the Droid communicates with the Mac.

Hope that helps.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Mac All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: