FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Feature request: respect album artist on sync

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Feature request: respect album artist on sync Reply with quote

I have some albums that have several artists but one album artist and which aren't compilations (e.g. dj mixes, selections by…, or albums that mostly have one artist). Checking what's been transferred to the sd card, it looks like this - using the album artist as the artist - isn't respected.

I'd love to see that feature :)

Thank you for making my MacDroidLife pretty (and) convenient!
otosnede

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Agree Reply with quote

I just bought the software yesterday after using the demo and knowing this was a major issue for me.

I've got albums now on my Nexus One scattered all over because its arranging them by Artist and not Album Artist.

This should be a preference in the music section of the sync panel... "Organize by Album Artist".

Other than that, the software is just what I needed to move from my iPhone to the N1.
otosnede

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any response to this?

I'm absolutely loving this app, but this is the one "bug" that really keeps it from being absolutely perfect.

I'd pay EXTRA in addition to what I already paid to have the ability for the app to create its folder structure by Album Artist so they get sorted properly once on my N1!!!!
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your analysis of the problem isn slightly off. I don't think this has anything to do with the folders used. Rather we're not exporting the m4a/id3 tag for "Album Artist". The reason for this is that some of the original phones supported didn't work well with this included.

I'll be looking for ways to amend this in a future version, for phones that can appreciate this level of detail in the metadata.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="otosnede"]Any response to this?

I'm absolutely loving this app, but this is the one "bug" that really keeps it from being absolutely perfect.

I'd pay EXTRA in addition to what I already paid to have the ability for the app to create its folder structure by Album Artist so they get sorted properly once on my N1!!!![/quote]
otosnede

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]I think your analysis of the problem isn slightly off. I don't think this has anything to do with the folders used. Rather we're not exporting the m4a/id3 tag for "Album Artist". The reason for this is that some of the original phones supported didn't work well with this included.

I'll be looking for ways to amend this in a future version, for phones that can appreciate this level of detail in the metadata.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="otosnede"]Any response to this?

I'd pay EXTRA in addition to what I already paid to have the ability for the app to create its folder structure by Album Artist so they get sorted properly once on my N1!!!![/quote][/quote]

Actually, here's what is happening on my N1... maybe I'm not explaining it correctly.

Currently Salling Media Sync follows this structure for putting music on my N1's memory card, for one album, it does this...

Artist A > Album A > Songs off that album from that "Artist" tag
Artist B > Album A > Songs off that album from that "Artist" tag
Artist C > Album A > Songs off that album from that "Artist" tag
Artist D > Album A > Songs off that album from that "Artist" tag

The software looks at the "Artist" tag of each song, creates a folder, creates the album folder, then places only the songs from that particular "Artist" into the folder, even though the album has more songs but with different "Arist" tags. It then goes through that process for each different "Artist" on that album. So what I end up with is a folder structure like above.

But if I manually put the album on my card like this...

Album Artist > Album A > All Songs

Where all the songs from that one album are in one folder, the music player on the N1 will then only show one listing for that album rather than 4, etc. It just makes the list on my N1 unnecessarily long when (especially a soundtrack with multiple artists) the album shows up like 12 times.

So what I'm asking for is instead of the software structuring the folders like the first example, it looks for the "Album Artist" tag when creating its folder structure so each album only resides in one folder, not multiple.

Does that make sense?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well. When you're manally copying the tracks you aren't stripping the "album artist" tags, are you? Again, I think your folder theory is wrong. Try manually in the same structure as the app.

Best
Jonas
otosnede

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]Yeah, well. When you're manally copying the tracks you aren't stripping the "album artist" tags, are you? Again, I think your folder theory is wrong. Try manually in the same structure as the app.

Best
Jonas[/quote]

Okay, I deleted everything in the "Music" folder and everything in the "Playlists" folder of my SD card.

On the root of the card, I then created three folders (based on the "Artist" tag displayed in iTunes for each song on the album) like so...

The Flaming Lips
The Flaming Lips & Stardeath and White Dwarfs
Stardeath and White Dwarfs

Then in each of those three folders, I created the album folder from the iTunes tags, so I ended up with this...

The Flaming Lips / Dark Side of the Moon
The Flaming Lips & Stardeath and White Dwarfs / Dark Side of the Moon
Stardeath and White Dwarfs / Dark Side of the Moon

I then (based on how iTunes was displaying the "Artist" tags for each song) put the respective songs for each artist in its proper folder... I ended up with this...

The Flaming Lips / Dark Side of the Moon / 3 songs
The Flaming Lips & Stardeath and White Dwarfs / Dark Side of the Moon / 4 songs
Stardeath and White Dwarfs / Dark Side of the Moon / 2 songs

For a total of 9 songs on the SD card.

This is the same structure that Salling Media Sync is using to put them on the card (aside from them being on the root rather than the "Music" folder)

So I then unmounted the SD card from the Finder, mounted it back on the N1, went into the N1 music player... and same exact thing... I end up with the album listed 3 times. Each listing had the same song count as the structure above.

Note: this album had not previously been on the N1. These songs were copied straight from the iTunes Music folder on my MBP, so no altering of the tags happened from what iTunes was reading.

Then, I remounted the SD card on my Mac, and put all the songs on like this...

The Flaming Lips / Dark Side of the Moon / 9 songs

Unmounted from the Finder, mounted on the N1, went into the music player and now the album shows up in one listing... all 9 songs.

So for me, that says 100% its reading the folder structure to display songs on the device, not the tags.

Thoughts?
benw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep – same for me. I had the same test run with The American Dollar / Arms & Sleepers (album artist; but three tracks of each under their own name).

Looks like the media player is pretty much "folder biased".

Also, why strip a tag? If a player supports it - great! If not, it's ignored anyway. "album artist" is a spec of ID3v2 (to be specific: at least all major software players use the TPE2 of ID3v2 for this).
benw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot to name my device: Motorola Milestone.
So I guess this problem can be nailed down to at least Android 2.0.
What's a cubit?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one simply rearranges the files that are synced into a directory structure of AlbumArtist/AlbumName/Track[1...N].mp3

it works fine on Android 2.0 (Motorola Droid) -- no need to change how you handle the id3 tags.

It's a big problem when there is a single artist, but he/she is joined by guest vocalists on different songs. Also for DJ mixed albums.
trice1921

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any news on when this issue will be fixed? I've just got a HTC Desire and it's really annoying me that my compilation albums don't display properly.
narge

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is causing problems for me too. As otosnede said, the correct solution is to separate identically named albums using album-artist rather than artist if the former tag is present. This is actually how iTunes behaves. It's rather annoying that copying an iTunes library folder to the device behaves as expected but using Media Sync doesn't.

For what it's worth, the proof that otosnede's analysis is correct is in the source for MediaProvider, the media database used by Android's stock player and most third-party players. See the comment in getKeyIdForName, starting at line 2958 of MediaProvider.java:

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/packages/providers/MediaProvider.git;a=blob;f=src/com/android/providers/media/MediaProvider.java;hb=1b09bd5a7871b104a57debcf9906ed0e4514f1bb#l2958

Prior to Honeycomb (and recent releases of Gingerbread), MediaProvider ignored album-artist altogether and used only the path to separate identically-named albums. It now uses both, but as the comment in getKeyIdForName says, it will not merge albums that are in separate directories. Even dumping everything in one directory would work better than Media Sync's current behaviour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Mac All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: