FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Symbols in music titles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Symbols in music titles Reply with quote

Yesterday I installed Salling Media Sync for Windows und synced my iTunes library with my Palm Pre. It worked just fine. After a while it seemed to me that some titles were missing. My computer runs Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

I seem to have found out that the titles missing were those with symbols in their names. Is that possible? German has lots of symbols, vou know. But so has Swedish. So you should have hit that problem before. Could you investigate please?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Symbols in music titles Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't have a Palm Pre handy, but as far as I remember from back when this was tested, I confirmed it to have very few limitations in terms of support for weird characters in file names.

Could it be that the cause for the missing tracks is in fact a different one?

The most common causes for tracks to not be copied are:

1. The tracks are DRM-protected (file format is then M4P). You can check for this by selecting Get Info for the suspected track in iTunes.

2. The tracks have been disabled in iTunes. This means the little checkbox to the left of the track in a playlist is unchecked.

Other reasons for tracks not being copied would be logged in the Sync Log (accessible from the application's menu). Please have a look there.

Finally, it could also be that the tracks are indeed copied, but that the media player on the Pre fails to show them. Again, I believe the player should support all kinds of characters in titles etc.

Here's something you can try, to find out whether the tracks are copied or not:

1. Create a playlist containing only tracks that you've previously identified as missing/suspect.

2. Make sure these tracks are not present in any other synced playlist (this is *important*).

3. Select the playlist for synchronization.

4. Sync

(is the application indicating, as it progresses through the sync that it's copying the files?)

5. Uncheck the playlist and sync

6. Sync again

(Check again: is the application indicating, as it progresses through the sync that it's copying the files?)

Cheers.
--
Jonas

[quote="hanni"]Yesterday I installed Salling Media Sync for Windows und synced my iTunes library with my Palm Pre. It worked just fine. After a while it seemed to me that some titles were missing. My computer runs Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

I seem to have found out that the titles missing were those with symbols in their names. Is that possible? German has lots of symbols, vou know. But so has Swedish. So you should have hit that problem before. Could you investigate please?[/quote]
hanni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. I did as you said. The syncing works just fine. It is just the music player on the Palm Pre that does not display the music titles with "umlaute". So, none of your fault.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose we could work around that my converting letters such as (with "u" or "y"), but chances are Palm will fix this sooner rather than later (especially if you let them know).

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="hanni"]Thanks a lot. I did as you said. The syncing works just fine. It is just the music player on the Palm Pre that does not display the music titles with "umlaute". So, none of your fault.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: