FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Nokia 6630 and iSync..?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Phone/Mac issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonesH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Nokia 6630 and iSync..? Reply with quote

Hi!
Does anybody have any idea if you can trick iSync to accept the recently shipped Nokia 6630? Like you can do with the SE V800?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokia 6630 and iSync..? Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this trick won't work since the newer Series 60 phones don't have mRouter on them (and the current iSync version needs it to connect).

- jonas

[quote="JonesH"]Hi!
Does anybody have any idea if you can trick iSync to accept the recently shipped Nokia 6630? Like you can do with the SE V800?[/quote]
JonesH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh.

How long would you guess before Apple releases a new version of iSync that's compatible with the new system? BTW, is the new system for syncing Nokia phones SyncML? I thought that was already implemented into iSync?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea when they'll have this ready for you...

mRouter handles the transport. SyncML is just the data representation.

- jonas

[quote="JonesH"]Doh.

How long would you guess before Apple releases a new version of iSync that's compatible with the new system? BTW, is the new system for syncing Nokia phones SyncML? I thought that was already implemented into iSync?[/quote]
gareth_mcmillan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is a 3rd party app that would work?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lstelie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokia 6630 and iSync..? Reply with quote

[quote="JonesH"]Hi!
Does anybody have any idea if you can trick iSync to accept the recently shipped Nokia 6630? Like you can do with the SE V800?[/quote]

I have been lent today a 6630 for 2 weeks.. I'll take it back tomorriw.

1- this is a wonderfull tool for people who like to PLAY with their phone, a awfull one for people who nneed to USE their phone. The interface is awfull, slow, every things needs two or three steps.. definitively not a productive stuff

2- NOTHING (I mean NOTHING) works with a Mac. Bluetooth connects but when you send something by bluetooth it is received as a message attachement and I failed to find how to place it elsewere. As a result even if the 6630 is with a 64 MB RS-MMC I wa sunable to transfert a 10Mb file and so on

I'm VERY disapointed (I'm a huge Nokia fan), not obly this phone is in no way usable with a Mac but I barely doubt it is usable.

It's a pitty becaise my old basic Nokia 3100 is a gem, very solid (I reaaly mean VERY), excellent sensibility, quick and slick interface .. but alas it has no real calendar and no real contact management.

I was looking for the same with the ability to use calendar and contact ( I have 1500 contacts so the memory card was a good promise).

No way, even if Nokia would give me a 6630 for free I would not accept it.

My two cents.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokia 6630 and iSync..? Reply with quote

I should add that it does indeed work with Clicker...

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="lstelie"]

2- NOTHING (I mean NOTHING) works with a Mac. Bluetooth connects but when you send something by bluetooth it is received as a message attachement and I failed to find how to place it elsewere. As a result even if the 6630 is with a 64 MB RS-MMC I wa sunable to transfert a 10Mb file and so on

[/quote]
lstelie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Nokia 6630 and iSync..? Reply with quote

[quote="lstelie"][quote="JonesH"]
I have been lent today a 6630 for 2 weeks.. I'll take it back tomorrow..[/quote]

I have to moderate my text; some among the things I wrote are the operator responsibility (SFR/Vodafone) not Nokia's.

After a night struggling with the phone I succeeded in installing smartvcf, the problem was that Vodafone installed phones have a high level of security enabled and in fact. Nothing is possible, after correcting this the application installation is perfectly possible.

Bluetooth transfer works but the Mac windows doesn't show the phone file system, in fact it's not really file transfer, the Nokia 6630 seems to take Bluetooth from the Mac as SMS/Mail message.
The files are stored in E:\system\Mail and the file manager is very poor, until now I failed to move a file

The good point of the 6630 (and this is one of my requirement) is that ALL Address Book fields can be transferred in the phone address book

The bad side is that I failed to find a correct setting to translate correctly carriage returns.

So the notes fields and some of the street name fields have "\n" instead of correct carriage return

By the way smartvcf seems to not recognize the Mac OS X vcf format (3.0) to transfer and import my address database I had to export in 2,1 vcf format (any tip welcome).

Pictures transfer over Bluetooth works very well but the 6630 can't (or let's say I failed) be used with Address book at all (no direct SMS sending for example)
JDub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: 6630 > Tiger support! Reply with quote

You all might be pleased to know that Tiger supports the the Nokia 7610 protocol, now listed on apple.com. This, as I understand uses the same system as the 6630...

As I have a 6630 as well, I'm happy too... :)

J>
lstelie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 6630 > Tiger support! Reply with quote

[quote="JDub"]You all might be pleased to know that Tiger supports the the Nokia 7610 protocol, now listed on apple.com. This, as I understand uses the same system as the 6630...

As I have a 6630 as well, I'm happy too... :)

J>[/quote]

Great news because after a rather difficult beginning it start to like very much this phine.

I've started to note some ways to use it with the Mac here :
http://blog.saint-elie.com/archives/2005/04/15/nokia-6630-mac-os-x/

Ok.. it's in French.. but there is at the end a listing of utilities that males the 6630 partly work with a Mac.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Phone/Mac issues All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: