FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

previous iCal user

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> MobileSync (retired)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iomatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: previous iCal user Reply with quote

My work has now started to require the use of Entourage (2004 on my personal, syncing machine). I'd like to start using MobileSync, and I have been using iCal/Address Book, etc. with my T616.

What are the steps necessary to synchronize or migrate to Entourage syncing without duplication of data, or better, full integrity of data (email, addresses that were on iCal/Address Book, and back; there's not much info currently in Entourage)? I know this goes a bit beyond MobileSync, but it would be helpful. Is there a simple way to migrate back?

Thanks.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: previous iCal user Reply with quote

MobileSync shouldn't create duplicates if you sync right now, but you won't get all the data in AB, since iSync/T616 won't sync all the information in AB.

Perhaps dumping all AB contacts as vCards and all iCal events as vCal files and then importing those would do the trick?

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="iomatic"]My work has now started to require the use of Entourage (2004 on my personal, syncing machine). I'd like to start using MobileSync, and I have been using iCal/Address Book, etc. with my T616.

What are the steps necessary to synchronize or migrate to Entourage syncing without duplication of data, or better, full integrity of data (email, addresses that were on iCal/Address Book, and back; there's not much info currently in Entourage)? I know this goes a bit beyond MobileSync, but it would be helpful. Is there a simple way to migrate back?

Thanks.[/quote]
marook
Hero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: previous iCal user Reply with quote

Hi,
[quote="iomatic"]My work has now started to require the use of Entourage (2004 on my personal, syncing machine). I'd like to start using MobileSync, and I have been using iCal/Address Book, etc. with my T616.
[/quote]

Although I hate to take business away from Jonas :D , I would like to ask if they Require Entourage or they Require Exchange?

If it's the latter, I've been using Snerdware's Groupcal product for some time, and it actually works quite well - sync'ing Exchange calendar data back & forth to iCal. Anyway, sorry to hear such force in place...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: previous iCal user Reply with quote

Damn Danes... ;-)

I think iomatic was asking about a one-shot solution for the transfer problem. Surely one could sync AB with Entourage and then sync the phone with iSync, but that sounds like an incredibly complicated process to repeat over and over again.

Best.
---
Jonas

[quote="marook"]Hi,
[/quote]

Although I hate to take business away from Jonas :D , I would like to ask if they Require Entourage or they Require Exchange?

If it's the latter, I've been using Snerdware's Groupcal product for some time, and it actually works quite well - sync'ing Exchange calendar data back & forth to iCal. Anyway, sorry to hear such force in place...[/quote]
dlange

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: i tried groupcal ...and came back to mobileSync Reply with quote

I am also in an office that runs an Exchange server for calendars. I use Entourage on my Mac G5. In reply to the post above, MobileSync syncs with your Macintosh, not the Exchange server directly. So you are really syncing with Entourage's database held on your own computer, not the Exchange server database.

I tried MobileSync with my nifty new Sony Ericsson T637, and it worked very well. I really like the .Mac concept and iLife software, so it was a bit dissappointing to have to use a Microsoft product.

So, seeing the Groupcal idea expressed here, i gave that a try. I REALLY wanted to like iCal. But Groupcal is not INSTANTLY updating with the server. Instead, it updates on a schedule (every 15 min), and because of that approach, it is a bit clumsy and even seemed not to work every time. For example, I told it to update every 15 min, but 30 min later it had not. So I just gave up on it. Two steps -- groupcal then isync -- was just kind of problematic.

Entourage is actually (gee, I hate to admit this) better than iCal. It is a bit cleaner interface by virtue of less eye-candy. And somehow I just got used to Entourage.

The ONLY problem is that MobileSync doesn't handle Entourage recurring calendar items. That is a real problem. And we DO use recurring appointments. I'm just going to have to insist that my secretary enter them one by one. She'll hate it. But it will work.

[Jonas, pls try to solve the recurring appt problem.]

So I ended up using MobileSync despite the non-support of recurring appointments in the Entourage calendar.

Incidentally, I still use iSync to sync my regular Addressbook. I have a huge Addressbook so I haven't been willing to convert that over to Entourage.

David
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> MobileSync (retired) All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: