FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

choosing itunes/airport express output

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Scripting Salling Clicker for Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senseinai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: choosing itunes/airport express output Reply with quote

I'm working with applescript for the first time and trying to choose the airport express as the output for itunes when i'm in another room and cannot see the mac screen. apple does not give any applescript instructions for how to access the drop-down menu that appears at the bottom of itunes when it detects an express running with airtunes.

what i've finally succeeded in doing is this:

created a brief script that relies on xtools.osax:

tell application "iTunes"
activate
move mouse {910, 810}
delay 0.5
mouse click
end tell
move mouse {960, 790}

this, of course, relies on my itunes window staying in the same place.

for some reason, i cannot effect a click in the second position where the cursor is hovering over the actual menu choice of the airport express, so i have to follow up by going into the excellent clicker script, 'mouse & keyboard 3.0' to click, being careful not to drag the stylus.

can someone with more experience in scripting, either present a better method or explain to me why i can't successfully effect the second click in my script.

thanks
mino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi senseinai,

finally a mac user interested in this issue.

I really don't know how to solve this, but it's very important for me to switch between different base stations with my cell phone.

I will ask some friend and I will see if they can do sopmething for this!
chinchilla

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've uploaded my switch speaker script under [url]http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=10249[/url]

It's just UI scripting as well, but it takes care of the position of the iTunes window.

Just if someone is interested...

Cheers
Mario
mino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="chinchilla"]Hi

I've uploaded my switch speaker script under [url]http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=10249[/url]

It's just UI scripting as well, but it takes care of the position of the iTunes window.

Just if someone is interested...

Cheers
Mario[/quote]

Thanks Mario!

I'm really interested in it! I've tried to install your script but my phone doesn't seem to show that feature!

Anyway I have three airport base stations set up for airtunes right now! DHow will it work?

Thanks
chinchilla

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you install it in a menu? If you just doubleclicked the cgz it' s probably just sitting somewhere on the right side (under scripts). So just drag and drop it into a menu on the left side and it should be shown on the phone.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure, it won't work with more than 1 airtunes speaker because you don't know, what was selected before..... And as I don't have 2 airport express, I can't test it.

[quote="mino"]

I'm really interested in it! I've tried to install your script but my phone doesn't seem to show that feature!

Anyway I have three airport base stations set up for airtunes right now! DHow will it work?

Thanks[/quote]
mino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="chinchilla"]Did you install it in a menu? If you just doubleclicked the cgz it' s probably just sitting somewhere on the right side (under scripts). So just drag and drop it into a menu on the left side and it should be shown on the phone.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure, it won't work with more than 1 airtunes speaker because you don't know, what was selected before..... And as I don't have 2 airport express, I can't test it.

[quote="mino"]

Thanks[/quote][/quote]

Mario,

I installed it as you said and now I can use it.

The problem is that I have the dock open, it clicks on the dock and opens iMovie!

I've tried to hide the dock, but it switches on a base station that I don't need, and has no speakers connected right now, so the system stops working (I cannot use salling clicker) until I switch manually to another speaker.

When I select manually the base station I want, and I use your script, it switches to computer speakers. Maybe I should chenge name to base stations and choose the one I want.
chinchilla

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mino"]The problem is that I have the dock open, it clicks on the dock and opens iMovie!

I've tried to hide the dock, but it switches on a base station that I don't need, and has no speakers connected right now, so the system stops working (I cannot use salling clicker) until I switch manually to another speaker.

When I select manually the base station I want, and I use your script, it switches to computer speakers. Maybe I should chenge name to base stations and choose the one I want.[/quote]
OK, the thing with the dock is something I didn't think about. As I've my dock on the right side, it was never a problem. It's possible to modify the script to avoid that by shifting the "temporary" iTunes window more to the right, if the dock isn't to large. But it needs to be positioned at the bottom of the screen.

If you just need to select a specific speaker all the time, changing the order of the speakers (by renaming) may be the solution. Otherwise I don't see a workaround for that issue.

Hope Apple will implement airtunes script support in the next iTunes update. But probably I'm just dreaming.....
mino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="chinchilla"][quote="mino"]The problem is that I have the dock open, it clicks on the dock and opens iMovie!

When I select manually the base station I want, and I use your script, it switches to computer speakers. Maybe I should chenge name to base stations and choose the one I want.[/quote]
OK, the thing with the dock is something I didn't think about. As I've my dock on the right side, it was never a problem. It's possible to modify the script to avoid that by shifting the "temporary" iTunes window more to the right, if the dock isn't to large. But it needs to be positioned at the bottom of the screen.

If you just need to select a specific speaker all the time, changing the order of the speakers (by renaming) may be the solution. Otherwise I don't see a workaround for that issue.

Hope Apple will implement airtunes script support in the next iTunes update. But probably I'm just dreaming.....[/quote]

I agree, maybe renaming the base stations is a solution.
Anyway I don't understand why apple doesn't want us to control base stations...

Another solution would be to write different scripts for different base stations, but you should consider the modifications that occur in the window when you add a base: the more mase stations you add, the more the list gets longer. (my computer show the list above the switching button, and always above the dock, so when a base is added "computer" goes higher on the screen)
senseinai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just put my solution to operating two airtunes without encountering the 'dock in the way' problem by altering mario's great contribution.

check this forum:

http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=10249

senseinai
chinchilla

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone is interested.
I've found a new solution, to get full control over the airtunes with an additional application.

Posted under Topic [url]http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=10750#10750[/url]
mino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="chinchilla"]If someone is interested.
I've found a new solution, to get full control over the airtunes with an additional application.

Posted under Topic [url]http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=10750#10750[/url][/quote]

I've tried this script with airfoil. It is quite boring to use since you have to select the streaming app and you don't have control of iTunes, but it works.

The only problem is that if you have iTunes already open you have to go to the computer and quit it, since iTunes must be started by airfoil.
chinchilla

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mino"]
I've tried this script with airfoil. It is quite boring to use since you have to select the streaming app and you don't have control of iTunes, but it works.

The only problem is that if you have iTunes already open you have to go to the computer and quit it, since iTunes must be started by airfoil.[/quote]

Well, if you use Airfoil only with iTunes, you have to choose iTunes as streaming source only once. Afterwards it defaults to iTunes unless you change it.
Of course you don't have the control over iTunes from this script, but you can add it to the "more"-Menu of the iTunes script by adding the UUID of "Select Speaker" to the "the_menu_item_uuids"-property of the iTunes script (ex. "5EB29AB8-40BE-11DA-966A-000A95A74CAA"). But I suppose that you have this problem with the other "change speaker" script as well. Or did I misunderstand you?

Regarding the issue with going to the computer to restart iTunes, I have to say: "yes you are right but....." :wink:

If you just installed Airfoil and started the streaming the first time, it ask you to either restart iTunes (as it has to be started by Airfoil) or you click on "install extras" or "install Instant Hijack" or something similar. I would say, this is a must. If you install "Instant Hijack" you need to restart the Mac and then Airfoil no longer needs to start the sound application itself.
Without this "Helper"-app it's not really usefull, I confess.

So from iTunes you just need to select the Speaker and start the streaming. Of course this could be a combined step, as you wanna stream anyway if you select a speaker. Maybe I should add an additional combined version.

Tell me, what you think about....

Mario
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Scripting Salling Clicker for Mac All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: