FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Helping an idiot!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Scripting Salling Clicker for Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianhobson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Helping an idiot! Reply with quote

Hi

Sorry for the basicness of this post, but I'm one of those dangerous noobs - I know nothing, but want to try!

I have Clicker installed successfully. I am controlling certain apps well using the default scripts. However, I wanted to add a couple of little items for controlling Apple's DVD player. For instance, I would like to show/hide the controller, and also to switch the controller so that it shows time remaining.

My problem isn't the applescript (I don't think), it is how the applescript gets interfaced into Clicker. I have successfully built the applescript that hides/shows controller (big deal you may say!). I have even managed to get that onto the phone. But it doesn't appear in the list of DVD items - it is on the level above that, so on the phone I have to back up one level to run the script. So I am failing to grasp the basics of the organisation of the Clicker structure!

In the Clicker system prefs, I created the item in the DVD player area on the right side. I then drag it over into the left hand side under media remotes. But it won't go INSIDE DVD player, if you follow what I mean.

Any help, and could I suggest a bit more of a primer in the user manual for helping us understand this a bit better?

Thanks
Ian
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean. Do this:

1. Do Get Info on your script. Copy the "UUID" shown at the bottom of the panel.

2. Open the DVD Remote script. Paste your UUID in along with the others at the top of the script.

Done.

Best.
--
Jonas
ianhobson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Dumber than you think! Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]I know exactly what you mean. Do this:

1. Do Get Info on your script. Copy the "UUID" shown at the bottom of the panel.

2. Open the DVD Remote script. Paste your UUID in along with the others at the top of the script.

Done.
[/quote]

Hi Jonas
Thanks for the quick response. I think part of the problem is that my script doesn't appear to have a UUID! It just has a flag next to it, not a script icon - it's like the DVD STOP for instance. When I do getinfo I don't see anything. I can see the script in a folder in var/tmp..... Perhaps the folder is the UUID?

Am I not understanding the SEC Helper part? Does that need to be involved in everything? All I've done so far is to create the script in the Script Editor application.

If there is a document I can download for a dummies guide to this let me know. I'm quite happy to RTFM if it goes down to that level of detail!

Thanks again
Ian
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to a bug in build 408, you may not be able to open Get Info. Download build 409 from here:

http://forums.salling.com/viewtopic.php?t=2374

And you'll be able to do Get Info and pick up the UUID. Forget about the /var/tmp stuff. Don't mess with it. ;-)

Best.
--
Jonas
ianhobson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: I've got it! Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]Due to a bug in build 408, you may not be able to open Get Info. Download build 409 from here:

http://forums.salling.com/viewtopic.php?t=2374

And you'll be able to do Get Info and pick up the UUID. Forget about the /var/tmp stuff. Don't mess with it. ;-)
[/quote]

Hi Jonas
That was exactly it! Downloaded and installed new version (incidentally download speed on my 2Mbps broadband was just about 7kBps!).

Copied the UUID as suggested, then pasted it into the top of the script you mentioned.

I seemed to have to reboot the mac and the phone to get a connection (not sure if both or just one were guilty). Maybe that's standard when version changes.

But then it worked first time as expected. I don't think I'll be getting ahead of myself here, but at least I now know I wasn't far off getting it right. I'll need to look at the full script though to see what is actually going on.

Now if apple would make the airtunes speaker selection scriptable in iTunes, I'd be away with all the things I want to do!

Thanks very much for a neat and fun application.
Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Scripting Salling Clicker for Mac All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: