FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Salling Clicker for Win2K?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knilaus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Salling Clicker for Win2K? Reply with quote

Greetings,

I first stumbled upon your website back in December '02 when writing a review of the Ericsson DRS-11 datacable and doing research on the availability of the Ericsson Communications Suite for the Mac OS.

Having just perused my old reviews I came across the old link and discovered that you've been busying yourself since then producing a host of very powerful and interesting applications, which coincidentally may be of much use to me soon as I plan to acquire a Mac Mini to set up in my living room in combination with my Sonic Impact T-Amp 5066 and the TV.

However, I also have a Windows/Linux box in my bed room and before acquiring the Mac Mini I'd like to familiarise myself with your application to see if it meets my needs and so on. Regrettably, I notice that the Salling Clicker for Windows apparently is only supported by Windows XP SP1 and I have Win2K on my machine and am reluctant to upgrade it because I am opposed to much of the 'hidden functionality' that was built into XP by Microsoft to protect corporate interest and their own license control schemes.

My question is therefore this: Is there any specific technical reason why your program is only supported by Windows XP SP1 and does that mean it would not be feasible and simple to produce a version for Win2K?

Is it because you use Windows XP remote desktop to enable the necessary functionality under Windows? Is there any reason why you could not use technology such as VNC for this purpose?

Probably the demand for this functionality among Win2K-users is not very high and presumably once I acquire the Mac Mini my need for it will be gone as well so I realise if such 'improvements' may not be top of your to-do list.

Anyway I'd like to take the occasion to compliment you for your talented work. It was fun revisiting your site after a period of three years has gone by and discovering how productive you have been in the meanwhile. I look forward to buying several of your applications soon.

Best regards,
Kristoffer
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

A fully up-to-date Win2k system may be able to run the software, assuming you have working Widcomm drivers for it.

The software is speced to the OS version most likely customers would use. There are some modern APIs used in the application, but they may be available in Win2k already.

I'll see if I can find some command-line installer option to bypass the MsiInstaller version check. I do not want to build and test the software for Win2k unless there's significant user demand.

Cheers.
--
Jonas
knilaus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Clicker to work on Win2K? Reply with quote

Hi Jonas

Thanks for your prompt reply!

I should think I have a working WIDCOMM stack on my Win2K-box: I have already managed to use my SonyEricsson K608i as a remote mouse pointer using the built-in functionality of the phone in conjunction with a BROADCOM dongle and a corresponding WIDCOMM stack.

I'd love to give Clicker a test drive on the Win2K platform if possible.

I've tried Googling for any possible switches that would allow me to tell the installer to bypass OS version checks but I've so far been unable to find one. I'd appreciate any hints you could pass me in that regard.

Thanks once again for your assistance.

Best regards,
Kristoffer
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, please try this from a command line:

SallingClickerSetup.exe /passive

Not sure if this will work.

Best.
--
Jonas
knilaus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried it but unfortunately that did not persuade the installer to 'do its thing' - it aborted after only a few seconds. Using the '/?' switch doesn't yield any further clues as to how one might convince the installer to bypass any version checks..
veronika

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]Hi!

I'll see if I can find some command-line installer option to bypass the MsiInstaller version check. I do not want to build and test the software for Win2k unless there's significant user demand.

Jonas[/quote]

me too, i'd be really interested in salling clicker working on windows 2000 or linux.
(the commandline option does'nt work for me )

so - demand is here :-)
veronika
sprint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could use it for win2k myself
sprint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xp service pack1 is over 200 megs??

Please make a win2000 version.

Thanks!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: