FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Salling Clicker as a Service?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soulside

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Salling Clicker as a Service? Reply with quote

I am not sure if it is technically possible but it would be really cool if you can run Salling Clicker as a Windows Service so you do not need to logon to be able to use the features. Is this feature possible?

Regards
Erik
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how would it control any applications in that case? AFAIK, most Windows applications require a user session.

Best.
--
Jonas
Vladivozcosmos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Run app as sevice Reply with quote

Running the application as a (nt) service wont influence the working of other applications, implementing this within your app is a good idea, but needs some work. For example win users themself can use a wrapper to run any program as a service see (while ithe 's not installed as a service):

[url]http://www.haxial.com/faq/auto-startup/mswinservice/[/url]

For you as developer you can implement service install depending your dev lang (c# i hope:) checking the following url's:

[url]http://www.codeproject.com/system/xyntservice.asp[/url]

and,

[url]http://www.codeproject.com/Purgatory/Windows__Services.asp[/url]

Keep up the good work,

Vladivozcosmos
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Well. I don't expect most of my users to hack iTunes or PowerPoint to run as a service. And those who do, could probably use the same hack to have Clicker run as a service too, don't you think?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but having Clicker run as a service would *add* no value at all, unless the controlled applications also ran as services (in which case you could control them without being logged in).

Best.
--
Jonas
soulside

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking in a bigger picture. Imagine having a PC with multiple sound cards. Then you could play different music in different zones, controlled by one or more cell phones. A little bit overkill but cool.

Although I am very happy with the software! One feature that also would be cool is if you have a phone that supports events, today you display the phone number on the screen. It would be cool if you can translate this number from some kind of address book like white pages (hitta.se).

Thanks for this great software!
Erik
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback!

Just wanted to make sure you know that the phone event script is completely open for people to modify, to look up the caller's name in hitta.se, Outlook, or elsewhere.

When I figure out what would serve most people the best, I'll make it a standard feature.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="soulside"]I was thinking in a bigger picture. Imagine having a PC with multiple sound cards. Then you could play different music in different zones, controlled by one or more cell phones. A little bit overkill but cool.

Although I am very happy with the software! One feature that also would be cool is if you have a phone that supports events, today you display the phone number on the screen. It would be cool if you can translate this number from some kind of address book like white pages (hitta.se).

Thanks for this great software!
Erik[/quote]
c_jacobsson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Multiple audio cards? Reply with quote

Erik, I have thought about the same type of solution for multiroom audio (and video). Have you got any experience with multiple sound cards? How would I i.e. automatically route user A's sound through card A, under B's through card B...?

Regards,
Claes
geminiwave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple audio cards? Reply with quote

[quote="c_jacobsson"]Erik, I have thought about the same type of solution for multiroom audio (and video). Have you got any experience with multiple sound cards? How would I i.e. automatically route user A's sound through card A, under B's through card B...?

Regards,
Claes[/quote]

Unfortunately this is extremely difficult if not impossible. You could set up programs to specifically target one soundcard SOMETIMES. So basically you'd just have to get one program for one user and a different program for another user. The fact of the matter is that there is a REASON why your soundcard instructions tell you to remove all other soundcards and disable onboard audio before installation. Multiple soundcards just dont work (and are also impractical). You would be better off using MP3 streamers. A good option for an MP3 streamer is actually the airport express(I think thats the name) its quite cheap for a streamer.
c_jacobsson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Multiple streams? Reply with quote

I have an AirPort Express, but if I should go down that road I want to have multiple streams to different AirPorts or choose one stream to multiple AirPorts. Multi-room audio!

But I don't think I can do that. Or can I? Anyone?

/Claes
soulside

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WinAMP for example, have a feature called multiple instances. There is a software called RemotéAMP that you can use your PDA to control multiple zones on your house.

http://www.smashcasi.com/remoteamp/feat_winamp.shtml

// Erik
UnnDunn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]Heh. Well. I don't expect most of my users to hack iTunes or PowerPoint to run as a service. And those who do, could probably use the same hack to have Clicker run as a service too, don't you think?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but having Clicker run as a service would *add* no value at all, unless the controlled applications also ran as services (in which case you could control them without being logged in).

Best.
--
Jonas[/quote]Au contraire, there are so many scenarios enabled by running as a service which just aren't available when you're running as a standard app.

One example would be multiple users. You've already got it locking the screen when you walk away, but what about unlocking when you come back, using a previously provided password? Why not take it a step further and actually log in/out? Use the cellphone as a sort of "remote keyfob" to get access to your user account?

What about when you've got dad's salling cellphone linked to his user account, and mom's salling cellphone linked to hers? If dad activates the media player remote, he gets to browse his library, whereas mom gets to browse hers. If Salling Clicker running as a user-level app, this is impossible because it won't even know that other user accounts exist.

Plus, Salling Clicker is the kind of application that is just crying out to be run as a Service. It's designed to be ever-present while being invisible; you shouldn't see the application, only its effects. Windows will automatically restart services that crash; it won't do the same for user-level apps.

You could even give it a horribly geeky name like "Bluetooth Remote Scripting Service." ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: