FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Slimserver support on Salling Clicker for Windows
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danguard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Slimserver support on Salling Clicker for Windows Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to know if the support for SlimServer / Squeezebox on Salling Clicker for Windows will be added in future or not.

I think this program is awesome, but it's something really needed i think (maybe bcos i need it ? :roll: )

Just tell me "Yes/No/Maybe/Planned"
But i would like to have an answer :wink:

Bye :D
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Slimserver support on Salling Clicker for Windows Reply with quote

"Maybe"

Please note that anyone with scripting knowledge *could* do this. It's not necessarily up to me.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="Danguard"]Hello,

I would like to know if the support for SlimServer / Squeezebox on Salling Clicker for Windows will be added in future or not.

I think this program is awesome, but it's something really needed i think (maybe bcos i need it ? :roll: )

Just tell me "Yes/No/Maybe/Planned"
But i would like to have an answer :wink:

Bye :D[/quote]
JF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Slimserver support Reply with quote

Jonas,

Your software is terrific! I'm using it with an SE Z520a and iTunes on Windows XP.

However, I have a Squeezebox 3 on order and need to switch from iTunes to SlimServer.

Like Danguard, I'm hoping you'll have SlimServer support in an upcoming release. There are quite a few posts about this on Slimdevices' website as well, so I think the interest is there. I see it's available on Clicker for Mac. . . .

Many thanks.
lakata

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: script access Reply with quote

How hard is it to convert the Mac scripts for the SlimServer to Windows scripts? The SlimServer API is pretty OS agnostic, so I would imagine that it isn't too hard.

I tried downloading the Mac clicker stuff, but I wasn't able to view the dmg file. I tried a variety of things (converting to ISO, then burning with Nero, or mounting with VCdRom) but nothing worked -- all I got were errors or empty drives. I assume these script are just ASCII text like the Windows scripts. Is there a way to get the scripts in a zip archive that is readable on Windows?

-Mark
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: script access Reply with quote

Here you go (see the attached file). Have fun!

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="lakata"]How hard is it to convert the Mac scripts for the SlimServer to Windows scripts? The SlimServer API is pretty OS agnostic, so I would imagine that it isn't too hard.

I tried downloading the Mac clicker stuff, but I wasn't able to view the dmg file. I tried a variety of things (converting to ISO, then burning with Nero, or mounting with VCdRom) but nothing worked -- all I got were errors or empty drives. I assume these script are just ASCII text like the Windows scripts. Is there a way to get the scripts in a zip archive that is readable on Windows?

-Mark[/quote]

SlimServer Remote.txt.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SlimServer Remote.txt.zip
 Filesize:  5.34 KB
 Downloaded:  982 Time(s)

lakata

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Got something working, but need help Reply with quote

Thanks. I should have done a little homework before I leapt into this project. I didn't realize that the scripting model was entirely different between mac and windows versions. And I don't know either AppleScript or JavaScript or XML, but I'll learn. After a few hours of hacking and reading up on the web, I've got something that actually communicates with the server and displays the track title, etc on my Palm.

However, I've found that if I have a bug that locks up the WinClicker server (for instance an infinite loop in the javascript), I can't recover without rebooting my machine. Can you suggest a sequence to restart WinClicker without rebooting? I've done a kill of the WinClicker process, and also stopped and restarted the Bluetooth Service and Bluetooth Support Service.
lakata

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Got farther, but found a bug/feature in javascript ?? Reply with quote

So I have the main controls working with SlimServer on the PC version of the Clicker. However, I came across a weird bug which leads me to believe that I don't understand the event loop of the Javascript interpreter.

I discovered, accidentally, that I need to have a dummy delay after I do asynchronous interactions with the XMLHTTP object. The dummy delay could be in the form of the ShowMessage(), which seems to have a few milliseconds of delay, or in a dummy loop like for(d=0;d<5000000;d++) ( I think about 5 million was necessary to get it to work).

What is the model of the Javascript interpreter? Is it multithreaded, or is there a main event loop or is it something else?

Maybe I'm just being dumb, since this is day one of learning Javascript.

[ I did discover a bug/feature in the Windows XMLHTTP engine that automatically caches all requests, which makes the whole SlimServer interface not work at all! ]

SlimServer.zip
 Description:
This is not supported, and I will probably not answer any questions about this code.

Download
 Filename:  SlimServer.zip
 Filesize:  10.97 KB
 Downloaded:  1005 Time(s)

salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I didn't expect you to actually go ahead and work on this! ;-)

I should make clear that you do not want to have infinite loops in the scripts. The trick is to handle the callbacks into your script as quickly as possible. Avoid loops.

Now, I understand this may be difficult when dealing with HTTP...

In the Mac version of the script, there's a mechanism to limit the time we wait for an HTTP response to 10 seconds. Not sure how the XMLHTTP stuff works, and if you can have that level of control.

If, during development, you accidentally hang the WinClicker process you can restart it from the Start menu.

Also, to help in development, there are some hidden options to enable script debugging. This may help a lot, if you have a script debugger installed on your machine.

Best.
--
Jonas
lakata

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the winclicker problem hanging is more complicated than just restarting winclicker.

The symptom is when I click on "connect" on my palm. If it works, it first says "Trying to connect to COMPUTER" (for about 2-3 seconds), then "Negotiating Connection", then it drops into the first Clicker menu.

If it doesn't work, it first says "Trying to connect to COMPUTER", then says "Establishing Link" forever. Once it gets into this state, no amount of retrying will get it out of this state. If I then move my USB dongle to another port, it might work. And sometimes if I just wait a long time, it fixes itself. If I reboot my laptop, it usually fixes the problem.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this after killing the WinClicker process a couple of times?

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="lakata"]I think the winclicker problem hanging is more complicated than just restarting winclicker.

The symptom is when I click on "connect" on my palm. If it works, it first says "Trying to connect to COMPUTER" (for about 2-3 seconds), then "Negotiating Connection", then it drops into the first Clicker menu.

If it doesn't work, it first says "Trying to connect to COMPUTER", then says "Establishing Link" forever. Once it gets into this state, no amount of retrying will get it out of this state. If I then move my USB dongle to another port, it might work. And sometimes if I just wait a long time, it fixes itself. If I reboot my laptop, it usually fixes the problem.[/quote]
lakata

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is after Exiting WinClicker.exe, killing winclicker.exe (task manager), killing the Bluetooth Service(s), everything I can think of. The only sure fire way of getting back in is to reboot the computer.
lakata

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, I do restart WinClicker before trying this!

I've noticed also that the WinClicker icon in the systray doesn't appear for a very long time after rebooting... like a minute or more. After this time, if you stop and start winclicker, it disappears and reappears in the tray quickly.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killing WinClicker multiple times or killing Bluetooth system services is bound to sooner or later cause problems in connecting.

Yes, launch is intentionally delayed at boot-time, as the Widcomm stack will crash if invoked too early.

Best.
--
Jonas
marc_dc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm anxiously waiting for this script when it's finished. Thanks for working on this!!! :D
gladhund

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi :-)

I'm considering buying the squeezebox too, so I'd like to cheer you on as well :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: