FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Bluetooth hanging on OSX 10.4.5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Phone/Mac issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluffy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Bluetooth hanging on OSX 10.4.5 Reply with quote

For a while I've had trouble with the Bluetooth stack on my dualcore G5 hanging when I have Clicker set to automatically reconnect to my phone (Ericsson T39m). I don't know when the hang actually happens or what causes it, but the end result is that anything which tries to interact with Bluetooth (including system preferences) blocks, and anything which tries to interact with a blocked process also blocks, cascading through my entire system. (For example, if I try killing SEC Helper from Activity Monitor, Activity Monitor hangs, then if I try killing Activity Monitor from Terminal, the shell hangs which then hangs the entire Terminal app.)

The only remedy is to reboot, which is of course aggravating.

Anyone know what might be causing this, and how to fix it? I think it started happening after the 10.4.5 update.

Thanks...
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh. Did you report this to Apple?

Best.
--
Jonas
fluffy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I forgot to update my email address here so I never got the reply confirmation.

Anyway, yeah, I've reported it to Apple, and it could be that the latest OSX update has fixed it (I haven't installed it yet), but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this since it could very well be something specific to my system. It hasn't happened on my other 10.4-running system, though granted I don't use Clicker much on it to begin with.

It's just so nondeterministic, though. It hadn't happened for a few weeks until just now, for example. And there's nothing in the console about it; the last related message I see is:

2006-04-07 07:51:25.618 SEC Helper[236] No more services to try

and before that I don't see anything until the various spammy messages from my last iSync.
fluffy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, still hanging in OSX 10.4.6. Blah.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to ask you the first time around, but is your Bluetooth firmware up to date? I believe the latest one is 2.1586 (2.1586) for the CSR modules in the G5 machines.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="fluffy"]Nope, still hanging in OSX 10.4.6. Blah.[/quote]
fluffy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to check without using System Profiler? I was hoping to avoid rebooting just to check the firmware version but System Profiler hangs along with the rest of Bluetooth too.

Also the nature of these hangs seems to prevent Spin Control from even seeing it, so I can't even diagnose where exactly the hang is happening!

I'm pretty sure I'm running the latest firmware though. This is one of the recent dualcore machines, and I've installed all the software updates which have been made available to it.

Is there maybe something I can do with ktrace or similar? I've found in the past that Apple engineers tend not to pay attention to vague "things hang" bug reports, and for weird cases like this I like to generate as much information as possible to make it more likely that someone will fix it.

It'd be really nice if there were a public Apple BTS...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Phone/Mac issues All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: