FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Non jsr-82 phone support?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Phone/Mac issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mledford

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Non jsr-82 phone support? Reply with quote

Dear powers-that-be, :-)

I am about to receive a new cell phone after many years of great service by my T68i. I did find out that the phone appears to not support jsr-82 but was wondering if we worked together might be able to bring salling support for the Samsung t809 (or similar phones).

I'm not sure of your stance on this but the least I could do is ask. :-)

Sincerely,
Michael
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Non jsr-82 phone support? Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

No current Samsung phones (except their Symbian models) can be supported, due to their lack of JSR-82. I wish they could be, but it just isn't possible.

Sorry.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="mledford"]Dear powers-that-be, :-)

I am about to receive a new cell phone after many years of great service by my T68i. I did find out that the phone appears to not support jsr-82 but was wondering if we worked together might be able to bring salling support for the Samsung t809 (or similar phones).

I'm not sure of your stance on this but the least I could do is ask. :-)

Sincerely,
Michael[/quote]
mledford

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Hi Michael,

No current Samsung phones (except their Symbian models) can be supported, due to their lack of JSR-82. I wish they could be, but it just isn't possible.

Sorry.

Best.
--
Jonas[/quote]

Dear Jonas,

Thank you for the reply. I wanted to thank you for the great products you have made over the years. I was a T68i adaptor partly due to your software. It's a shame that the Samsung can't be supported.

However, not to beat a dead horse or anything. Is the limitation strickly a samsung one, or also a software support one? I could be wrong but it would surprise me that you can't get limited support abilities if you can communicate with the bluetooth chip via a serial comm?

I understand that you might want to just strictly support JSR-82, just wanting to help out if I could. :-) If not thank you for the use of your software over the years!

Sincerely,
Michael
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, Michael!

The problem is that there's nothing on this phone (that I know of, at least) to show our remote user interface (via Bluetooth). The old Sony Ericssons had this built-in.

Over the years, support for additional devices has been added with client applications for Palm OS, Symbian, Windows Mobile, and Java. The only of these that'd work on the Samsung phone is the Java client. However, as there's no JSR-82 support in the Samsung phone, we cannot access Bluetooth from Java. Hence, it's a no-go. :-(

Samsung has (unofficially) been talking about JSR-82 support for about one year, but it's not yet been released in a shipping product (except in their Symbian phones; but for these it makes more sense to use the native Symbian client for Clicker).

Cheers.
--
Jonas
mledford

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]The problem is that there's nothing on this phone (that I know of, at least) to show our remote user interface (via Bluetooth). The old Sony Ericssons had this built-in. [/quote]

Jonas,

I will play with the phone when I get it and see if there is anything I might be able to do to expose bluetooth communication through other means. Of course it would help if Samsung would release more than just the D600 SDK, but from what I can gather they are nearly the same and updated information is supposed to be coming out in April. I will keep you updated if I find out anything.

Thanks again,
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Phone/Mac issues All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: