FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

6230i Proximity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Phone/Mac issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark hunte

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: 6230i Proximity Reply with quote

Hi I have asked this in another thread, but only realised today that, this is the correct place to ask.

Is it possible for you to tell me why Proximity Detection does not work
with the 6230i, And will this be fixed in a future update.

It Proximity Detection was the only thing that DID work on my very old
6110 phone a long time ago, But I understand that Nokia are not always consistent in how they implement
software on their phones.
But I would like to know the details of the problem if possible.

Thanks

Mark
fonetik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this phone. Jonas has stated before that due to the contstraints of this phone, proximity detection cannot work in the same manner as with other Clicker phones. I think because the Clicker client is a Java application and the phone does not allow Java applications to run in the background.

There is another OS X application called [url=http://www.reelintelligence.com/BluePhoneElite/]Blue Phone Elite (BPE)[/url] that offers very rich Proximity/Event detection functionality. It logs calls and sms messages, allows "instant messaging" via sms, has a few predefined actions to take in the event of proximity entrance or incoming phone call, as well as the ability to run different Applescripts on each of the events.

BPE uses the old GSM AT commands over a Bluetooth serial link to communicate with the phone, so it works with the 6230i as well as most series 40 Nokias with Bluetooth.

In other threads people have complained loudly that if it is possible, then Clicker should support it. This is somewhat assinine as the method used for communication by BPE is completely different than Clicker's architecture, so supporting proximity would be very messy and require alot of work to accomplish little new functionality(as far as the entire user base is concerned), not to mention probably introducing bugs into Clicker .

I use BPE and find that it complements Clicker very well. Using the two applications I get more functionality out of better built software that if either application attempted to duplicate the functionality of the other.
mark hunte

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did look for the answer before I posted.
And could not find anything. apart from it does not work due to something Nokia have changed.

I want to know because not knowing why means I do not know if I could find a way around the issue which is a frustration.

fonetik

Thank you for your post, Now I have a better idea of the issue I do not see a fix. Nor would I expect Jonas to go to all the trouble of rewriting Clicker.
BPE does indeed work well along side salling clicker.
So I will be purchasing it. My frustration ends... :wink:
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Do not worry about making suggestions meaning "rewriting trouble" for me. It's what I do all the time! Comes with the territory.

Adding phone events to the Nokia 6230 is currently not a top priority, however.

Users desiring such functionality [b]right now[/b] have the choice of either (1) picking up BPE or (2) moving to a phone model where this is supported in Clicker (the device list has such information).

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="mark hunte"]I did look for the answer before I posted.
And could not find anything. apart from it does not work due to something Nokia have changed.

I want to know because not knowing why means I do not know if I could find a way around the issue which is a frustration.

fonetik

Thank you for your post, Now I have a better idea of the issue I do not see a fix. Nor would I expect Jonas to go to all the trouble of rewriting Clicker.
BPE does indeed work well along side salling clicker.
So I will be purchasing it. My frustration ends... :wink:[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Phone/Mac issues All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: