FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Clicker app restart required to connect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mportune

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Clicker app restart required to connect Reply with quote

Hello, I'm using Clicker version 3.5.0.860 on Vista Home Premium with all updates applied, and lately I've been unable to connect via bluetooth unless I first restart the clicker app. The client always responds with "are you sure clicker is running?" until I restart the app, then it connects. I'm not sure if it's having a hard time coming out of sleep mode, or if something else is causing it, but it's getting frustrating when I'm laying on the couch with a cat on top of me and I can't control media center without getting up first to restart the app. :)

BTW, this is new. I didn't have this problem in the past, and I'm not sure what triggered it to start.

Let me know what information you need to troubleshoot this. Thanks!
stone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

this sounds like the same problem that I'm having.

we're trying to troubleshoot it in [url=http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6198]reconnect fails after disconnect[/url], although we don't have a solution yet
mportune

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks. I'll be sure to subscribe to that topic as well.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

It sure sounds similar, but I doubt it is. You guys are using different Bluetooth stacks, seeing that "stone" is using Widcomm under XP SP2.

mportune: could you please check in Salling Clicker -> About -> System Information? What does it say?

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="stone"]this sounds like the same problem that I'm having.

we're trying to troubleshoot it in [url=http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6198]reconnect fails after disconnect[/url], although we don't have a solution yet[/quote]
mportune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean "Support Information"? If so:

Microsoft Bluetooth: Device present.
Execution mode: Standard.
Bonjour: Enabled.

(or is there another "System Info" tab I'm missing?)
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the info I meant. Thanks.

I really need to know more about the exact circumstances in which this happens.

In the meantime, I'd suggest you disable "Authentication" in Salling Clicker -> Settings -> Bluetooth. Let me know if this helps.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="mportune"]Do you mean "Support Information"? If so:

Microsoft Bluetooth: Device present.
Execution mode: Standard.
Bonjour: Enabled.

(or is there another "System Info" tab I'm missing?)[/quote]
mportune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disabled bluetooth authentication, and it's working right now (since, as you said in the other thread, that's equivalent to restarting the app). I can disconnect and reconnect repeatedly.

My usage is pretty basic - Clicker auto-starts in windows (default installation settings) and I only use it to control Media Center (via the generic do-all programmable script). While it's working, it works great. I don't use it every day. In fact sometimes I'll go for weeks without using it. My PC uses the default Vista power management settings, so it goes to sleep after 60 minutes. I'll go through weeks at a time without actually rebooting, but occasionally something acts up so I'll reboot. Hopefully that gives you a rough idea of what the Clicker app has to live through on my machine. :)

If you need specs, it's an Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB RAM, Vista Home Premium (32-bit). The bluetooth is a USB dongle (One of the D-Link DBT series) using Vista's PnP drivers. (I just plugged it in and all of the sudden had working bluetooth after it found the drivers - rock on vista)

I'll keep authentication disabled and let you know what happens next time I try to fire up media center. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm using a Palm Treo 680 as the clicker controller. I know Palm's bluetooth stack has it's share of issues, but this particular one seems to be rooted on the PC side.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this happens again, could you please try sending a contact from your Treo to the Vista PC?

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="mportune"]I disabled bluetooth authentication, and it's working right now (since, as you said in the other thread, that's equivalent to restarting the app). I can disconnect and reconnect repeatedly.

My usage is pretty basic - Clicker auto-starts in windows (default installation settings) and I only use it to control Media Center (via the generic do-all programmable script). While it's working, it works great. I don't use it every day. In fact sometimes I'll go for weeks without using it. My PC uses the default Vista power management settings, so it goes to sleep after 60 minutes. I'll go through weeks at a time without actually rebooting, but occasionally something acts up so I'll reboot. Hopefully that gives you a rough idea of what the Clicker app has to live through on my machine. :)

If you need specs, it's an Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB RAM, Vista Home Premium (32-bit). The bluetooth is a USB dongle (One of the D-Link DBT series) using Vista's PnP drivers. (I just plugged it in and all of the sudden had working bluetooth after it found the drivers - rock on vista)

I'll keep authentication disabled and let you know what happens next time I try to fire up media center. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm using a Palm Treo 680 as the clicker controller. I know Palm's bluetooth stack has it's share of issues, but this particular one seems to be rooted on the PC side.[/quote]
mportune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok it's happening right now (fresh after a reboot, too). I tried to send a contact via bluetooth and it's refusing, saying "Unable to send to".

I haven't restarted the Clicker app yet, so let me know if there is something else you want me to try while it's in this non-working state.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting data point. It proves that Clicker isn't the only Bluetooth service on your computer having problems in this state.

Restart Clicker to get it going. Then try sending a contact again.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="mportune"]Ok it's happening right now (fresh after a reboot, too). I tried to send a contact via bluetooth and it's refusing, saying "Unable to send to".

I haven't restarted the Clicker app yet, so let me know if there is something else you want me to try while it's in this non-working state.[/quote]
mportune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, after restarting Clicker, I still can't send a contact to the PC (same message as before). Clicker works fine though. I can also right-click -> Send files from the PC to the Treo via Bluetooth, if that means anything.

To be honest, I'm not sure the contact sending feature ever worked for me. Is there anything else I can try?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Please try restarting your computer. Then send a contact from your Treo to your PC.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="mportune"]Hmm, after restarting Clicker, I still can't send a contact to the PC (same message as before). Clicker works fine though. I can also right-click -> Send files from the PC to the Treo via Bluetooth, if that means anything.

To be honest, I'm not sure the contact sending feature ever worked for me. Is there anything else I can try?[/quote]
mportune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no luck. It's giving me the same message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: