FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

WiFi reconnect problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonkol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: WiFi reconnect problems Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a small problem reconncting with WiFi. Im using a Windows XP system with Salling clicker, and a couple of different Windows Mobile devices.
Sometimes (have not seen a pattern) when I want to connect to the computer it does not show up in the auto-discovery.
Instead I have two choices "ComputerName (last used) or"Enter Adress manually".
If I enter the "last used" option it dooes not connect, even though the computer is on.

I have a fixed IP in the windows machine and if I manually enter the IP adress it works great! Very strange, as I thought the "last used" is just a shortcut to this IP adress.

This is not a huge problem, but it does make the system a lot less wife friendly....

Any ideas?

/Jonas
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: WiFi reconnect problems Reply with quote

This means our UDP 5353 packages aren't flowing freely in your network. (the "last used" option doesn't use the IP address as we can't know it's static).

Could you please describe your network setup? Firewalls or misconfigured/problematic routers tend to be the cause of the problem you're seeing.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="jonkol"]Hi,

I have a small problem reconncting with WiFi. Im using a Windows XP system with Salling clicker, and a couple of different Windows Mobile devices.
Sometimes (have not seen a pattern) when I want to connect to the computer it does not show up in the auto-discovery.
Instead I have two choices "ComputerName (last used) or"Enter Adress manually".
If I enter the "last used" option it dooes not connect, even though the computer is on.

I have a fixed IP in the windows machine and if I manually enter the IP adress it works great! Very strange, as I thought the "last used" is just a shortcut to this IP adress.

This is not a huge problem, but it does make the system a lot less wife friendly....

Any ideas?

/Jonas[/quote]
jonkol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: IP setup Reply with quote

Hi,

Client is different PPCs, all of which get their adress via DHCP.

All are on the 192.168.0.X network with the server having a fixed IP 192.168.0.91.

The server has Windows XP, with the standard firewall on and UDP port 5353 is open from the config the clicker-software did when installed (Salling Clicker mDNS is open). Winclicker.exe is also an allowed program.
No other internal firewalls exist in the network and I have no other problems with ports and connectivity. The traffic gos through a wireless AP (with no DNS or firewall functionallity) and then through a Gigabit bridge (also no DNS or firewall). The DHCP-server is in my ADSL router, which this traffic never passes.

If I restart the program, the server pops up automatically at the client.

Somehow I dont think its problem with the network.
My server geos in and out of hibernation a lot, and maybe this is part of the problem?

/Jonas
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: IP setup Reply with quote

Perhaps the hibernation bit is the problem. Would you be able to change the energy settings on the server so as to see if things work better if it's not hibernating as often as it is now?

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="jonkol"]Hi,

Client is different PPCs, all of which get their adress via DHCP.

All are on the 192.168.0.X network with the server having a fixed IP 192.168.0.91.

The server has Windows XP, with the standard firewall on and UDP port 5353 is open from the config the clicker-software did when installed (Salling Clicker mDNS is open). Winclicker.exe is also an allowed program.
No other internal firewalls exist in the network and I have no other problems with ports and connectivity. The traffic gos through a wireless AP (with no DNS or firewall functionallity) and then through a Gigabit bridge (also no DNS or firewall). The DHCP-server is in my ADSL router, which this traffic never passes.

If I restart the program, the server pops up automatically at the client.

Somehow I dont think its problem with the network.
My server geos in and out of hibernation a lot, and maybe this is part of the problem?

/Jonas[/quote]
jonkol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

I will try to leave it on.
It never goes into hibernation automatically, I just turn the computer "off" that way. Will try to see if this really is the problem.

Thanks,

/Jonas
jonkol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Its the hibernation Reply with quote

Hi, took quite some time... Sorry.

Yes, its definetely the hibernation, and its not a problem on all machines. I have tried it on three machines at home and only the one I use for salling clicker has this problem... And its defenitely the hibernation.

If you can find a way around it it would be great...

Thanks

/Jonas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: