FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Problem with range extender

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deckard2112

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Problem with range extender Reply with quote

Hi,
I recently bought a Belkin wireless range extender with the purpose of using my Nokia N95 to control a PC connected to garden speakers - summers on the way and all that :D . My laptop works with the extender with no problems - signal has gone from LOW to VERY GOOD.

The problem is that the N95 connects to the extender and I can browse the web etc but Clicker doesn't connect - I get SEARCH AGAIN error. I can be standing a foot away from the extender and this happens.
When I look at the access points on the N95 it says I have a strong connection to my network yet Clicker can't connect

Am I being a total muppet and missing something obvious?

cheers Steve

Last edited by Deckard2112 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:33 am; edited 2 times in total
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with range extender Reply with quote

What exactly does the extender do? Something tells me it eats our UDP multicast packets, causing Clicker to not find any computers with Clicker on it.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="Deckard2112"]Hi,
I recently bought a Belkin wireless range extender with the purpose of using my Nokia N95 to control a PC connected to garden speakers - summers on the way and all that :D . My laptop works with the extender with no problems - signal has gone from LOW to VERY GOOD.

The problem is that the N95 connects to the extender and I can browse the web etc but Clicker doesn't connect - I get SEARCH AGAIN error. I can be standing a foot away from the extender and this happens.
When I look at the access points on the N95 it says I have a strong connection to my network yet Clicker can't connect

Am I being a total muppet and missing something obvious?

cheers Steve[/quote]
Deckard2112

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!
I thought it might be best to quote from a more knowledgable source than myself :)

From Wikipaedia:
"Wireless range extenders or wireless repeaters can extend the range of an existing wireless network. Range extenders can be strategically placed to elongate a signal area or allow for the signal area to reach around barriers such as those created in L-shaped corridors"

cheers
Steve
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a proper "repeater" I suppose it should repeat everything it sees on one end to the other.

However, it sure looks like it's eating the UDP packets.

Have you tried iTunes sharing across this extender? We're using the same type of protocol/packets as iTunes.

--
Jonas

[quote="Deckard2112"]Hi there!
I thought it might be best to quote from a more knowledgable source than myself :)

From Wikipaedia:
"Wireless range extenders or wireless repeaters can extend the range of an existing wireless network. Range extenders can be strategically placed to elongate a signal area or allow for the signal area to reach around barriers such as those created in L-shaped corridors"

cheers
Steve[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: