FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Viewty can't connect thru Microsoft stack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasmus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Viewty can't connect thru Microsoft stack Reply with quote

Hi. Downloaded the trial version of the Salling Clicker yesterday, and it does seem promising - much better than the other Bluetooth Remote apps I've tried.

But here's the deal:

I tried using it with the default Microsoft stack (I'm running Vista SP1). Salling Clicker installed without problems and so did the Java client on my phone (an LG Viewty, which I know isn't officially supported).

Then, I run Salling Clicker on my PC and on my phone. On my phone, I then press "Connect...". It finds my computer (Rasmus PC) perfectly after the short search, but when I choose "Connect", the "Finding..." screen comes, and after a short while goes on to display "Connect failed. Salling Clicker does not appear to be launched on the computer". But it is!

I then tried BlueSoleil, but after it installed I found out that it wasn't supported by Salling - darn it. :P Then I gave WIDCOMM a try, and it succeeded! I was able to remote control my PC from my phone. But the WIDCOMM stack runs very buggy on my computer and causes some other problems, so it's not a good solution. Therefore, I uninstalled it.

My computer and phone are able to connect otherwise through the Windows Bluetooth stack (I can send files both ways via Windows). I have also tried both having them paired and not paired when running Salling - nothing works.

I just want Salling Clicker to work with my LG KU990 (Viewty) phone through the default Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Bluetooth stack.

HELP ME, PLEASE. :D If I get it to work, I'll buy the program.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Could you please try disabling "Authenticate" in Settings -> Bluetooth in Clicker on your PC, to see if this helps?

Best.
--
Jonas
Rasmus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]Hi,

Could you please try disabling "Authenticate" in Settings -> Bluetooth in Clicker on your PC, to see if this helps?

Best.
--
Jonas[/quote]

Hi! Wow, that's a quick response. :D I have tried, and it doesn't help.

It might also be worth noting that I CAN control my pc from my other phone, a Sony Ericsson W810i, through the Microsoft stack. Doing it right now in fact.
Rasmus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... but my Sony Ericsson is my old phone, which I don't use anymore, only for testing purposes, hehe.

Since that works, it might indicate that it's a problem with my Viewty. But that doesn't explain why it works with the WIDCOMM stack.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. My initial guess was that the pairing between your phone and your Bluetooth stack had gotten messed up due to your experimenting with all these stacks (it may very well be the reason you couldn't get the Widcomm stack to work).

Now, my guess is that perhaps remnants of other stacks, fool Clicker into thinking you're not using the MS stack. Please check here:

Clicker (on your PC) -> About -> Support Information -> Bluetooth

What does it say?

You're mentioning that your SE phone works; it's not clear to me whether this is with Clicker or the built-in "HID remote" in the SE phone.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="Rasmus"]... but my Sony Ericsson is my old phone, which I don't use anymore, only for testing purposes, hehe.

Since that works, it might indicate that it's a problem with my Viewty. But that doesn't explain why it works with the WIDCOMM stack.[/quote]
Rasmus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]Well. My initial guess was that the pairing between your phone and your Bluetooth stack had gotten messed up due to your experimenting with all these stacks (it may very well be the reason you couldn't get the Widcomm stack to work).

Now, my guess is that perhaps remnants of other stacks, fool Clicker into thinking you're not using the MS stack. Please check here:

Clicker (on your PC) -> About -> Support Information -> Bluetooth

What does it say?

You're mentioning that your SE phone works; it's not clear to me whether this is with Clicker or the built-in "HID remote" in the SE phone.

[/quote]

Maybe you're right. Wish I knew a way to "reset" all of the bluetooth settings, old stack files and so on. And I have tried removing my bluetooth devices through Device Manager ('Enhedshåndtering') and restarting, yes.

Salling Clicker says:

[b]Support Information[/b]
Microsoft Bluetooth: Device Present
Execution Mode: Elevated
Bonjour: Elevated

My S//E phone worked fine via Salling Clicker, both when using Widcomm and Microsoft stack.

To me it seems like a compatibility problem between my Viewty and Salling Clicker, or perhaps Viewty and Microsoft Bluetooth (though that's unlikely, given that every other bluetooth function works, except Salling).
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. We're detecting the stack alright, and the device is seen as present.

The most likely cause of the problem is the Java implementation in the Viewty. Is this a carrier/network-branded phone?

Best.
--
Jonas
Rasmus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]Thanks. We're detecting the stack alright, and the device is seen as present.

The most likely cause of the problem is the Java implementation in the Viewty. Is this a carrier/network-branded phone?

Best.
--
Jonas[/quote]

Maybe you're right. But that still doesn't explain why it works with Widcomm.

Also, by reading other threads in this forum, it seems other LG Viewty users have it working (and no, asking LG support is not really an option, their support sucks).

Nope, the phone is unbranded, bought it without an 'abonnement' and I use it with my Telia SIM card.

I appreciate you trying to help me here. If I get it working, I'll buy Clicker. :)
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely correct; I forgot about it working with the Widcomm stack.

Then my best bet is the pairing being messed up. Please remove:

1. Every reference to your computer from "Bluetooth Devices" (or similar) in the Bluetooth settings on your phone.
2. Every reference to your phone from "Device" in the Bluetooth settings on your PC.

Normally, pairing wouldn't be required just to discover the services on the other end (and that's where you're seeing the failure), but I know some implementations require this.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="Rasmus"][quote="salling"]Thanks. We're detecting the stack alright, and the device is seen as present.

Best.
--
Jonas[/quote]

Maybe you're right. But that still doesn't explain why it works with Widcomm.

Also, by reading other threads in this forum, it seems other LG Viewty users have it working (and no, asking LG support is not really an option, their support sucks).

Nope, the phone is unbranded, bought it without an 'abonnement' and I use it with my Telia SIM card.

I appreciate you trying to help me here. If I get it working, I'll buy Clicker. :)[/quote]
Rasmus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]You're absolutely correct; I forgot about it working with the Widcomm stack.

Then my best bet is the pairing being messed up. Please remove:

1. Every reference to your computer from "Bluetooth Devices" (or similar) in the Bluetooth settings on your phone.
2. Every reference to your phone from "Device" in the Bluetooth settings on your PC.

Normally, pairing wouldn't be required just to discover the services on the other end (and that's where you're seeing the failure), but I know some implementations require this.
[/quote]

Jonas, I did as you suggested (removed every reference of the pc on the phone and vice versa), and furthermore I reinstalled Salling Clicker on both the pc and the Java client on the phone. But STILL no luck! My phone still says: "Connect failed: Salling Clicker does not appear to be launched on the computer". I also tried pairing them again, but it doesn't do anything.

...and it all continues to work fine with my old phone!

Any other suggestions? Remember, you'll make 23.95 dollars if you can help me get through this :P
Rasmus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE!

Got it to work... but it's not a very good solution.

The way I got it to work was by right clicking on my Microsoft Bluetooth icon on my computer, and clicking "Recieve a file" ("Modtag en fil").

That apparently opens up the connection. I'm happy! I can then press Disconnect and Reconnect as many times as I want from within the Java client. But when I close the Java client and then re-open it (still having the dialog box open on my pc), it returns with the "Connect failed. Salling Clicker does not appear to be launched on the computer" message. Until I close down and reopen the "Recieve a File" dialog box on my pc.

It appears that clicking "Recieve a file" leaves Windows' bluetooth wide open for all connections, but when the connection is lost, it blocks it from reconnecting.

But I don't want to have to click that / have the dialog box open every time I want to use the remote.

Can you help me out?? :)

TIA.
Rasmus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone help me? Jonas? :P
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I probably can't. What you described in your last post makes this sound like a "role-switch issue", and AFAIK there's really not much I can do about this in software.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="Rasmus"]Can anyone help me? Jonas? :P[/quote]
Rasmus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]I'm afraid I probably can't. What you described in your last post makes this sound like a "role-switch issue", and AFAIK there's really not much I can do about this in software.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="Rasmus"]Can anyone help me? Jonas? :P[/quote][/quote]

Alright. But do you know a way to control the connections in the Windows Bluetooth stack? So you can "turn off" the kind of security/firewall Vista bluetooth has. Or maybe you can direct me to another forum that might help me ?
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm mistaken, this is a role-switch issue. It's got nothing to do with firewalls, and is a compatibility issue between the JSR-82 implementation and the Microsoft Bluetooth stack.

I think your best first bet would be to make sure your phone is 100% updated.

Your second best bet would be to mess around a bit with the Bluetooth settings on your computer, to see if there's a way to prevent the master/slave situation from arising. There's no obvious, 100% predictable way to know what might help here, unfortunately.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="Rasmus"][quote="salling"]I'm afraid I probably can't. What you described in your last post makes this sound like a "role-switch issue", and AFAIK there's really not much I can do about this in software.

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="Rasmus"]Can anyone help me? Jonas? :P[/quote][/quote]

Alright. But do you know a way to control the connections in the Windows Bluetooth stack? So you can "turn off" the kind of security/firewall Vista bluetooth has. Or maybe you can direct me to another forum that might help me ?[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Clicker for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: