FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Salling Media Sync messing up mp3 tags when copying to devic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvdmon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Salling Media Sync messing up mp3 tags when copying to devic Reply with quote

I've been using Salling Media Sync for a while to transfer playlists of podcasts to my webOS device (both a Pre and Pre 2). This has worked fine except for one issue. It seems the program changes some MP3 tags when it copies the files somehow. It doesn't do this to music files but for podcasts it changes the Artist tag for every single track to "Podcast." It also removes the Comment tag. The tags look fine when I look at them via MP3Tag on my hard drive, but when I look at them on my Pre/Pre2, the tags are messed up. When I copy them manually (via windows explorer), they copy fine. Please help. Thanks.
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Salling Media Sync messing up mp3 tags when copying to d Reply with quote

Hi,

This is true. The tags as cleaned up and optimized a bit to help navigation.

For instance, by changing the artist tag to "Podcast" for podcasts, the podcasts will be nicely grouped together in the Artists list on the phone, even for phones that lack a special podcasts grouping.

May I ask why you need the ID3 comment tag preserved in the copy of the track on your phone?

Best.
--
Jonas

[quote="dvdmon"]I've been using Salling Media Sync for a while to transfer playlists of podcasts to my webOS device (both a Pre and Pre 2). This has worked fine except for one issue. It seems the program changes some MP3 tags when it copies the files somehow. It doesn't do this to music files but for podcasts it changes the Artist tag for every single track to "Podcast." It also removes the Comment tag. The tags look fine when I look at them via MP3Tag on my hard drive, but when I look at them on my Pre/Pre2, the tags are messed up. When I copy them manually (via windows explorer), they copy fine. Please help. Thanks.[/quote]
dvdmon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Salling Media Sync messing up mp3 tags when copying to d Reply with quote

[quote="salling"]Hi,

This is true. The tags as cleaned up and optimized a bit to help navigation.

For instance, by changing the artist tag to "Podcast" for podcasts, the podcasts will be nicely grouped together in the Artists list on the phone, even for phones that lack a special podcasts grouping.

May I ask why you need the ID3 comment tag preserved in the copy of the track on your phone?

Best.
--
Jonas

[/quote]

Why? Well, because the program on my phone displays artist info for podcasts and let's me tweet what I'm listening to. It looks pretty dumb when I tweet "listening to Talk of the Nation by Podcast." I understand what you might be going for, but shouldn't that grouping be up to the app on the phone and not a program syncing to it? Can't an app group by genre or by the album title (which has the name of the podcast)? The point is, I don't want MP3 tags messed with, if I want to mess with them, that should be up to me, but not by an application that's meant for simply syncing my tracks and playlists. At the very least it should be an option for users as to whether they want their tags edited.

Another question - when I sync, tracks that have an underscore character seem to be changed to a dash "-" on the phone. When I copy these files over manually, the underscore character comes through fine. Is this conversion specific to the phone OS or are you doing this because one of the phone platforms can't handle underscores? Perhaps an earlier version of webOS didn't? I'm using webOS 2.1 so maybe that is the difference.

Thanks,

Levi
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add a hidden setting that'll let you prevent the Artist tag from being rewritten.

EDIT: seeing here that there already is a hidden setting to prevent the metadata rewrite altogether. You'd use this setting at your own risk. Many phone media players will crash or behave badly if they stumble on unexpected metadata in tracks.

1. Quit Salling Media Sync.

2. Find the file user.config in the folder:

%APPDATA%/../Local/Salling_Software_AB/Salling_Media_Sync.exe_Url<garbage-looking identifier here>/1.1.9.1205/

3. Open the config file in Notepad, and *carefully* change this section:

<setting name="NoRewriteAudioMetadata" serializeAs="String">
<value>False</value>
</setting>

TO

<setting name="NoRewriteAudioMetadata" serializeAs="String">
<value>True</value>
</setting>

Best.
--
Jonas
dvdmon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I changed the config file, wiped my phone, and resynced everything. Same problem. Could it be due to using a slightly older version of the software? My config file is in the subdirectory ...\1.1.9.1187
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Salling Media Sync for Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: